Page 66 of 84 FirstFirst ... 526264656667687080 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. Thanks for the recs!

I forgot about Battlezone.

2. Battlezone is pretty rad, but it requires some moderate VR legs. It's not the first game I'd jump into until testing your tolerance for motion.

Also worth noting that the Steam version and the Oculus Home version are not the same. The Oculus Home one is Oculus-native and has motion controller support (it doesn't affect gameplay, just lets you see your controllers in hand, but it's a nice touch), but they aren't cross-play and I'd assume Steam has the bigger player base.

3. I think VR is pushing my old PC a little bit beyond its boundaries as I kept getting random shutdowns with Robo Recall and other intensive software. Game was a lot of fun while I could play it though.

Luckily I'll have a new one soon.

4. Quote Originally Posted by FirstBlood View Post
    One recommendation I'd make that I don't hear that often is Dirt Rally. I'm not normally that into racing sims (I've fired up Project Cars as well and it didn't really grab me) but Dirt Rally is so good in VR cockpit view, doing time-trials with your co-pilot barking out the details of the course.
    I got Dirt and a Logitech wheel just to see how driving felt in VR. It's sooo friggin awesome but the inclines and declines in Dirt make me nauseous almost instantly. When I was able to work through that, it was a great time. Project Cars was easier for me to digest since tracks are more more 'flat,' but I'm with you in that it didn't capture me in the same way. I didn't realize the steering wheels now are motorized so they pull the wheel when there's tension. When you're in there you really feel like you're actually driving naturally. I got a wheel that's PS4 compatible so I want to see how it works in GT Sport, whenever I get the money to buy it.

5. I don't know if I'd like racing games in VR. I've always preferred chase view. Something like Micro Machines might be cool, though.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I think VR is pushing my old PC a little bit beyond its boundaries as I kept getting random shutdowns with Robo Recall and other intensive software. Game was a lot of fun while I could play it though.

Luckily I'll have a new one soon.
    So, before you run out and spend a lot of money on a new video card, know that Rift's optical tracking is very bandwidth-intensive, and it often creates problems with the not-so-great USB 3.0 on most motherboards.

1) Make sure the drivers for your motherboard's USB controllers are up to date. This is 100% required for just about everyone who wants to use Rift.
    2) If you still have issues, try hooking the sensors up to USB 2.0 ports. This will come at the cost of some tracking resolution, but it should solve your stability issues.
    3) If #2 fixed your problem, buy a $20 USB card from Inatek and use that for your sensors. It's cheap and works great.

I've run Rift at below min-spec, and while some software had performance issues, it didn't create stability problems. Those are cause by something else (which I think is almost definitely the USB controller).

7. I appreciate the advice but I am building a new PC as we speak.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I appreciate the advice but I am building a new PC as we speak.
    Well then spend the extra $20 on that USB card regardless.

9. I bought this game-of-sorts called Hot Dogs, Horseshoes, and Hand Grenades. It's a gun range sim with very realistic looking guns and reloading actions. Worth a look for any 'muricans out there.

Let's say I have the disposable income to get into this shit now. Is it a good time to buy, and is the Rift the best choice? Should I hold out for what's coming up next?