Page 39 of 84 FirstFirst ... 253537383940414353 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. Area X in Rez. Holy shit, so awesome. It feels like a demo for a new Rez game, I hope it's coming.

2. The latest SteamVR beta has asynchronous reprojection, AKA Active Timewarp. It's universal and works as well as it did in Oculus land (and I guess PSVR, too), though only with nVidia cards. It really smooths out Raw Data's rough spots for me, and it's awesome playing a roomscale action game with that level of visual fidelity.

I assume they're working on an ASW equivalent now.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    I assume they're working on an ASW equivalent now.
    This has been confirmed, actually.

4. Microsoft just announced Windows 10 VR headsets by third parties (HP, Dell, etc) that use inside-out tracking for $300.

Extremely optimistically, this could be Hololens tracking (custom depth-sensing stuff) but on a cheapo VR headset. Accurate inside-out tracking for that price seems too good to be true, though.

5. give me that Surfacebook nom nom nom

6. I'm not seeing $300 being practical for VR for another 4-5 years, honestly. The processing power required on both the PC side and in the headset doesn't come that cheap right now, and if VR takes off properly (which it hasn't yet, still waiting on its Sonic the Hedgehog) it's going to go through several upgrades and iterations before settling down to a reliable standard.

7. There are already plenty of very overrated VR experiences that play themselves though

8. MS said their partner devices will "start at $300," so I expect you'll see a range of devices of varying quality and pricepoints.

9. Obduction finally released their VR patch yesterday.

This game is really what VR is all about: Exploring rich, beautiful, impossible worlds. It's not doing anything novel, but it's a really great fit for the medium. The richness of the environments makes it feel especially immersive. I only got to play it for maybe a half hour, but it's already one of my favorite VR experiences.

10. We need more screenshots or videos in this thread. I have no idea what Obduction is.