Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ChronDC - every Dreamcast game

1. Can I hijack this thread and make it an Official Dreamcast Thread? Or should there be an Official Dreamcast thread?

My original Dreamcast's controller board burned out or something, none of the controllers work. I had dug up some fix-it guides but I know jack about soldering. I might try to fix it at some point but I bought a "new" Dreamcast on Ebay maybe a year ago. I got a bootleg upscaler on Amazon and I can get an image of my Dreamcast to appear on my monitor through HDMI. It's all right, I can ignore the slight HUMMMMMM.... that comes through the audio. That got me checking out a bunch of old games to see how they hold up to my memories. I had played a bit of Sonic Adventure 2 and oh boy, that game aged a lot worse than I expected. I remember it being "way better than Sonic Adventure" but maybe that's not saying too much. I still love Sonic Adventure though.

I havent played the Dreamcast in a while and warmed up with a bit of Cannon Spike tonight. You know, I reaaaaally loved this game when it came out. I remember that buying it was the first time I got pissed off at GameStop, or maybe it was EB back then. I bought the game like the day it came out, and it was an opened copy being sold as new. I think the MSRP for it was like $40, because it was a short arcade game, so I took a chance with it.

Cannon Spike is basically a bootleg twin-stick shooter - a one-stick twin-stick shooter. It's really fun though! For some reason it's janky as hell and each level is only like 1 minute long. The levels are usually broken into 2 parts, with some kinda mid-boss at the end of the first part and a boss at the end that sometimes has multiple stages. It ends up feeling like "Wario-Ware meets shmup" since all of the stages end abruptly and seem like various knock-offs of different games. Cannon Spike looks like was some kinda unlicensed Capcom game. For instance it has a stage that looks like it might be based on Resident Evil, but you can't quite tell... Besides the playable characters like Charlie and Cammy, there's random enemies based on Capcom characters like Vega. Are these Capcom references really deep? Am I missing something? Because the story makes absolutely no sense, but I don't care either! It's stupid fun and I really miss these types of games.

I love that the stages are ordered like a fighting game. I guess there's something like 13 stages - with the first 8 in random order and the final boss stages in a specified order. It keeps the game interesting to replay and sometimes the order of stages can really make or break your game. It's really great when you finish a tough boss with no life left, and the next stage that starts off easy with enemies that replenish health.

I remember I played some Gunbird 2, I think it's a similar kinda shooter game.

At some point in my life, one of my life goals was to beat Ikaruga. That lasted for maybe a day. Before YouTube, I had no idea how to get good at that game. Maybe I can find a class on udemy to teach me how to play this game nowdadays. What a great world we live in!

But I feel like I can really appreciate this type of game even more in today's gaming landscape. I'm not finding a lot of games that I'm fully resonating with. And the ones that do get me are usually similar to stuff I grew up playing, like a Zelda or Dark Souls or whatever. A lot of these "arcadey" titles that I didn't completely appreciate back in the day are starting to feel fresh to me. I'm really feeling Ikaruga right now and I hope to get to stage 4 at least! Let's see if I can stay with it.

2. The controller port fix is pretty easy. There's a fuse that can just be replaced with a resistor.

3. This doesn't really belong here either, but I didn't want it to be lost in the dumb abuse tags thread nor did I think it fit in the Happy Birthday DC thread.
    My Life in Gaming turned me onto Jimmy Hapa who turned me onto this video. Pretty interesting! I didn't know most this stuff even existed.

4. I have that game. It's really bizarre.

5. With today's machine learning and voice recognition it could go in a lot of very strange places.

6. aw yiss, always down for fresh seaman
    http://backloggery.com/irishninja/sig.gif

7. I just interviewed the localization producer of the English version of Seaman. She had some cool info to share, including her experience of working with Nimoy.

Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I just interviewed the localization producer of the English version of Seaman. She had some cool info to share, including her experience of working with Nimoy.

Check it out.
    Super interesting - thanks for interviewing her! She has a great personality
    I took all your French Toast.