Thread: Top 100 Games thread idea

Top 100 Games thread idea

I've been thinking about this for a while and I wonder what'd happen if it actually did sit live (or even sticky) in the main forum. Most people here seem to have a definite sense of what games they'd prefer overall or specific by genre in list, and usually people can function with 100 titles.

What if we were to have one specific "TNL Top 100 Games" or such thread where as opposed to one person contributing the effort, and make the list open to editing as anyone sees fit. The list would be open to all platforms, eras, and countries, and I would want to make game series as "combined" as possible (I don't see a need for multiple Final Fantasies/Marios/etc on any All Time list of this nature)... and basically it'd boil down to three choices people would make for posts on the thread:

1) Add a game
    2) Remove a game
    3) Switch positions of two games

Of course, explanation would be required for any suggestion.

I think it could work as long as someone maintained the list often enough and petty quote-wars were kept to a minimum. I also think it'd be very interesting to see what we'd come up with collectively after a week/month of refining a Top 100 games list.

But I'm not sure if you people would want to play along...

This is exactly why we are a representitive democracy.

It will be chaos. Pure chaos.

3. tetris - i don't think there needs to be an explanation for this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

4. I'm all for it. As Piku said, it'll be chaos, pure chaos. That's plenty good enough for me.

Are we talking console specific of console/PC? Doom, for example, either sucked or just wasn't that good on console, but I've still got it on my PCs hard drive.

How does one take into account the effects of aging? I've always thought Tetris Attack was a superior game to Tetris, for example, but Tetris has earned the higher spot on the list. Same with the above-mentioned Doom vs, say, Serious Sam/Half Life/Deus Ex. Fond memories and nostalgia are nice, but less memorable but more technically polished games are theoretically better, and theoretically deserve a higher spot on the list. Theoretically.

Should be fun. Someone hop to it.

James

5. It's a good idea, but I dunno if it would work. Maybe if we could refine some kind of voting system, we could actually make some material out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

probably the best, but most time consuming, would be to get 200 or so nominees and just head to head them until one emerges as a winner. I know that there are computer prgrams out there that can process that data accordingly so any contributer would just need the nominee list and the program and a half hour or so (depending on the desiciveness of the contributer)

I'm all for chaos but I don't think any voting system would work, especially since this would be something that some people would contribute to more than others, and as such I don't think someone that spends 20 posts worth of arguments on such a thread should have equal say on the list as someone with a single digit post count.

I was thinking PC would be allowed.. PC, import, domestic, etc.

And I'm all for chaos of a non-bickering nature

8. You said you don't want separate instalments in a series to count. I'm for Mario Bros to Mario 64 being grouped together, but what about Mario Kart/Tennis/Golf? How would you group offshoot games and other games like that?
    pwned by Ivan

By series I intend to mean a title that has established sequels that all intend to play in a relatively similar manner, certainly not sepereate genres like in your Mario 64 ~ Mario Kart scenario. Sorta like how Street Fighter II and Street Fighter III are in the same series but Street Fighter 2010 isn't, and the Mystic Quests (and even Final Fantasy Tactics) aren't assumed to be included in the proper Final Fantasy series (DQ Monsters isn't part of the DQ series, etc).