Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (PC/PS4/XB1/Switch)

1. Frog, clear your inbox! I need to contact you.

2. I kind of wish this was a full remake rather than just graphical. I like Dragon's Trap a lot but my memories of it are that it was fairly short.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Frog, clear your inbox! I need to contact you.
    I got you.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    I like Dragon's Trap a lot but my memories of it are that it was fairly short.
    It was pretty long by 8-bit standards. That doesn't really mean much today, though.

4. I'm actually really happy to hear that it's emulated rather than being a loose remake. Looks nice!

I think a loose remake could be more interesting (maybe they can make a sequel if this does well) but at least with emulation involved, the controls and physics should be spot on.

Anyway, this is a surprisingly interesting time for Master System fans (around the 30 year anniversary). We have a beautiful remake of Dragon's Trap and a spiritual successor coming, Fantasy Zone games and Maze Hunter managed to get 3d remasters in a domestic physical compilation, the homebrew ports of Mega Man 2 and Barbarian being made have potential, and I assume Melf's book will cover some of the SMS era. I don't think the Cuphead port to SMS will happen but you never know.

6. You can read about some of the backend stuff here. It's pretty interesting. They also speculate the tools they built might lead to level editors or other hacks/enhancements to the original.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    I think a loose remake could be more interesting (maybe they can make a sequel if this does well) but at least with emulation involved, the controls and physics should be spot on.
    That last bit is so important, though. Even Dragon's Curse bugged me in how the controls and physics were off. It was hard to put your finger on, but it wasn't as good. Like Super Mario All-Stars.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 02 Jun 2016 at 12:59 PM.

7. This looks pretty cool. I'm in.

8. I wonder how movement and scrolling work for something like this. If the emulated game logic is still working with SMS resolution, does that mean that things have to move in increments of six pixels at 1920x1080?

9. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I wonder how movement and scrolling work for something like this. If the emulated game logic is still working with SMS resolution, does that mean that things have to move in increments of six pixels at 1920x1080?
    Emulated might be the wrong word, because there's more to it than that. "Reverse engineered using emulation techniques" maybe? The game is running at 60 Hz to the original's 30, it's in widescreen, so there's clearly enhancements, but it's still running the original engine.

I think it's similar to the approach used by the recent Sonic CD releases, which were likewise excellent and faithful.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 02 Jun 2016 at 07:09 PM.

10. Is Christian Whitehead involved? That would cinch it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!