Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Surge (PC, PS4, One)

The Surge (PC, PS4, One)

I steered clear of Lords of the Fallen, but the theme of this one makes it more attractive.

As good as sci-fi Dark Souls sounds, the reviews of this have been middling, despite solid technology.

3. Saw someone play the first hour or so, it looks pretty solid as far as early movement and combat, definitely reminded me of Souls a bit. I'd like to give it a shot at some point.

4. Lords of the Fallen was pretty crap, not surprised this is as well.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

5. Nothing entertains more than solid technology.

6. I prefer liquid or gaseous tech.

7. Whatever the tech, the gameplay isn't sublime.

8. Souls combat makes no sense in a sci-fi game. Give me a proton laser or something.

9. I bet there will be some kind of laser or other gun. Lords of the Fallen has a gauntlet that can shoot projectiles but you don't get it from the start.
    So far, The Surge is good. It's possible to target unarmored parts of enemies and try to take off a limb or head. The XP in this is called Tech Scrap.

It uses the Fledge engine from Lords. PS4 Pro players get similar graphics or high framerate options similar to Nioh (30 FPS hi-res, or 60 FPS 1080p). PC could support DX12 later.

10. This is free on Plus this month. I played an hour or 2. So far it's good. It's certainly souls-like. The lack of lasers makes sense at the moment.
    Boo, Hiss.