Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 467891012 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Playing? (Summer, 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Do we really not have a thread for it?
    Though I find that almost impossible to believe, I can't find it either.

2. I got the FF X|X-2 Remaster and started X, a game I've called one of my favorites. This game is totally devoid of pathos so far. It opens with Tidus witnessing the Apocalypse and being reborn, alone, into an alien place full of relics and monsters. He barely escapes death a number of times. When he finally finds solid ground, the first thing he does is playfully throw himself on it and say "OH MAN I SURE AM HUNGRY." The fuck? It's not quite what's-her-name telling Hope to cheer up, grumpy face! moments after he watches his mom die in the beginning of XIII, but it's not far off in terms of tone-plot mismatch.

That it's in direct competition with DQV right now, one of the best written, tonally and thematically cohesive JRPGs ever, is doing it no favors.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 22 Jul 2016 at 05:35 PM.

3. FFX is awesome, but Tidus.... yah not so much.

4. I almost hate being brought to new locations in these games, because I know they're going to be destroyed by the time I leave. Seems like if Nathan Drake had any affinity towards the past and the importance of historical sites, he'd keep his ass home. He's like a black cloud.
    I wonder if the artists feel bummed about creating such lavishly detailed environments, spending hours toiling away on texures and shit, knowing they're going to be turned into rubble 20 minutes after the player encounters them.

5. No.

Gears of War is interesting, I believe they made a nice world and then destroyed it themselves, essentially doing things twice anyway.

6. Arrived in Yemen, holy shit I just LOL'ed at the hand holding scene. The body movements, facial expressions, and subtlety of the scene were fucking perfect. David Cage could learn something from these guys.

7. So, I decided to play the Witcher 3 for about 2 or so hours on Friday night. I was starting to get into the game a little more, and was planning to play some more this weekend. Then Windows 10 happened. I lost my game save when I had to do a clean install of Windows 10 on the boot drive.

Hitman (PC) - I put a cap in Gary Busey's ass yesterday, getting me to 7/7 on Elusive Targets. Unfortunately, I looked through some menus afterward and realized there were additional challenges for a couple of them that I missed. While disappointing, I can't hold free extra content against them, and I like the one and done model; I just wish I knew those challenges existed. On the up side, Taito Eidos also added new bonus content to Sapienza and Marrakesh in the form of additional targets and altered layouts. For example, the Italian one turns the town square into a movie set. There are still Thai, American, and Japanese settings coming. Maybe someday more people will figure out how much better this series is than Assassin's Creed and that this is one of the best entries in it.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (Wii U) - I finished Chapter 4 at just about the 40 hour mark. I've continued to do all the Side Missions and Requests plus ensuring I get all the Unities, so I'm sure it can be done quicker. The boss at the end of Chapter 4 is the first trouble I've had. It's a reasonably complicated fight, and I think I started out under-leveled, which is a bad combination. The game continues to be better than it has any business being with the theme and story. I'd love to see the best parts of this move over to Persona 5, which will obviously solve the weaknesses almost by definition.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (Wii U) - I've continued to do all the Side Missions and Requests plus ensuring I get all the Unities...Boss at the end of Chapter 4... I think I started out under-leveled, which is a bad combination.
    HUH?
    If by doing all the extra stuff you're still under leveled when you face a boss, eff that game.

It wasn't by much, and there was a meta puzzle in the dungeon that I solved quicker than I suspect was intended, so I skipped some grinding there.