Thread: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4)

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4)

This one snuck up on me a bit, but Eurogamer recommending it made me realize it was actually out and that it lives up to its promise as a quasi spiritual successor to Dear Esther. For better or worse, The Chinese Room needed Sony Santa Monica's help and funding to get where they wanted to go, so by all accounts it will remain a PS4 exclusive.

2. I'm definitely interested in this, though with a couple games I'm halfway through and Armikrog coming next week I probably won't get to it until next month. I do enjoy a lot of these ambient exploration games. Reminds me, I need to finish The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

3. I played it through between yesterday and today.

I enjoyed Dear Esther so I'm not surprised I liked this. It's slow, atmospheric, has a really great soundtrack and will bore lots of people.

For me it's one of the most pure and interesting gaming experiences I've had in ages. The story is so layered and interesting.

4. Just finished this. It tells a great story, but does a poor job telling it.

Movement is akin to being overburdened in Fallout. The devs tried to chalk it up to some artsy bullshit, but it's really design laziness. It needs a zoom button, and more things with which to interact would've been nice. It's frustratingly close to being brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Yeah, the walking speed is brutal. Out of all the hyped games of this sub-genre, this was one of the dullest.

6. Walking simulator done in by its walking?

7. They had one job.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Given that complaint, you would probably really appreciate the editing in Virginia. When there is a long, slow walk with no content, they just warp you to the next part after a few steps.

9. I wanted to enjoy it, but yeah the snail paced walking killed me after... an hour?