Thread: Xydonia (PC)

1. Xydonia (PC)

Italian developer Breaking Bytes is working on a hori shmup called Xydonia, which has Neo-Geo style 2D graphics with a CRT emulation shader.
    It's doing well on their Kickstarter ($21738 raised out of $22223). I pledged 65 euros, or $72.

Shinji Hosoe (Megaten) will chip in on the soundtrack along with Strania's BGM composer Keishi Yonao. Double epic win.

Digital copies of Xydonia will be DRM-Free and redeemable on Steam. The existing alpha version 2 supports XInput only (you can use Joy2Key of course) but BB is working on full controller support.

It looks more Genesis than Neo Geo, but that choice of inspiration is the definition of a no-lose.

3. It looks like every enemy has one HP too many.

You need to throw some one-hit cannon fodder out there often enough balance the sense of being overwhelmed with the sense of being powerful. The great shooters make you feel both at the same time. This, like a lot of retro shooters, isn't as adept at maintaining the powerful/overwhelmed balance as the games it emulates.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    It looks like every enemy has one HP too many.
    Yes! I had the exact same reaction. Those dragon things really helped highlight it.

The second part of your post is a given though. The best retro games are not as good as the best classic games, not even close.

5. Jamestown is good. I think it holds its own against the best of the genre, no joke
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 22 Jul 2016 at 02:53 PM.

6. Xydonia's medal system reminds me a bit of Garegga except with a multiplier on all kills. It goes up to x16 and resets if you drop a medal.
    The rotating planet in the background of stage 1 is a nice touch.

Hopefully the enemy HP is a bit better balanced eventually. The way Justice Pursuer's missiles explode into some fast suicide bullets if shot down is something that should probably be saved for a higher difficulty than default.

7. No touch controls, no sale.
    Boo, Hiss.

8. ;/

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    It looks more Genesis than Neo Geo,
    I like how there's a Gaiares ad parody on their website. http://breakingbytes.tumblr.com/

10. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    I like how there's a Gaiares ad parody on their website. http://breakingbytes.tumblr.com/
    Loved it.

I'm thinking X68000, since the colors are above Genesis. The music reminds me a bit of Code Zero, a good vertical on that system.