Page 43 of 58 FirstFirst ... 293941424344454757 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonic Mania (PC, PS4, XBO, Switch)

1. I just vaguely remember it being the last stage when I played it as a wee kid decades ago. But maybe that's because that's where my memory of it ends.

Still, that zone was a slog. So it's not like I'm surprised Sonic Mania has a long drag of a stage (and to be fair, it's only Act 2 that's like that).
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

It can't be worse than Scrap Brain zone 3.

He's probably thinking of the similar scrap brain, metropolis, death egg etc zones.

The people saying this is the best sonic ever or that it makes the previous games unplayable are all high.

It should have been called sonic remix. Because for the most part that is what it is. And it lives or dies by that. It has just about every sonic game crammed in there. And even a few non sonics like castle Vania bloodlines or mickey 's castle of illusion.

But in some ways that hurts the game. The remixed levels feel less cohesive and tight than sonic 3. There is a lot of sonic cd in the remixed map layouts. Maybe even some chaotix

Some of that may come from the switch to widescreen. Sonic 3 felt like exploration because you often couldn't see too much into the area you were going into. Now you can see more and you can really start to see how nonsensical sonic maps are

The layout on the completely new maps are a bit tighter.

I think after the dust settles you'll start to see more people say the same.

Damn if ain't all sexy though. Fine ass mess.

5. How does it stack up to Sonic Megamix?

6. Quote Originally Posted by RoleTroll View Post
    Give me a 300 MBcartridge MEGASHOCK with powerful upgrade chips that can run Sonic Mania on the Genny. Released in limited quantity for $499 a cart simultaneously with the current gen consoles.
    Now I really want Sonic Mania on NeoGeo even if that makes zero sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    The people saying this is the best sonic ever or that it makes the previous games unplayable are all high.
    Once I figure out what I'm high on I'll offer to share if anyone wants some.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

7. I think if you're gonna play one Sonic game, this is the one. I sorely miss having Ice Cap Zone, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

8. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    How does it stack up to Sonic Megamix?
    Much better, but Stealth worked on both and there's some commonality to the design philosophy. But Mania isn't burdened by the same hardware limitations and basic zones, so they have the freedom to be a lot more creative and push things beyond what the Genesis could do.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    There's a decent argument to be made that this has the most polished and best balanced level design in the series. Saying it makes the old games unplayable is ridiculous and of course it still is a remix as you said, but the game has a great flow and balances exploration, speed, and platforming really well.

Quote Originally Posted by mollipen View Post
    Now I really want Sonic Mania on NeoGeo even if that makes zero sense.
    It makes total sense if they adopt the art style.