Page 46 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3242444546474850 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonic Mania (PC, PS4, XBO, Switch)

Alright. See you in 6 months. You guys do this every single time something good from something old comes out. Spiderman 2. The Dark Knight. Etc.

Everything is "this is the best <insert franchise> has or ever will be, holy fuck"

Then 6 months later everyone comes off their "this wasn't garbage" high and I have to read 5 pages of you guys slapping dicks about to what degree it was just ok, and where it really ranks in the pantheon of <insert franchise>.

Every. Single. Time.

2. Oh me oh my oh golly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. It's a pretty good Sonic game. It'll be the best one in 6 months.
    Donk

4. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I'm referring to it as a thing people are saying about mania. People in this thread have said it.

And no one actually can support that statement outside of it looks newer. Which is kind of "duh" but doesn't mean it is the most balanced or polished.
    Says nobody can support claims.
    Proceeds to not support own claim.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    ......lol
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

6. I can't speak for anybody else but there's zero chance I'm going to change my mind and say that my previous favorite (Sonic 2) is actually better than this.

Sonic boss battles were always lame. On this game they're good. It's widescreen 1080 60fps. Everything good about the old games is retained, new stuff is added, plus a bunch of fan service. Which Sonic games are better than this?

7. Sonic Mania (PC PS4 XBO 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    And no one actually can support that statement outside of it looks newer. Which is kind of "duh" but doesn't mean it is the most balanced or polished.
    The physics are better than many previous games, meaning Sonic controls better and "righter", including when in comes to building and maintaining speed.

Stage paths offer a better balance between encouraging speed and exploration. At those times when you do go fast, the game does a better job of maintaining and managing momentum, including being better about transitioning between stops and starts.

Animation and sprite manipulation are of a higher quality, such as when traveling through loops. This helps the game feel better and more natural.

A few examples of Mania's polish.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

8. Quote Originally Posted by mollipen View Post
    The physics are better than many previous games, meaning Sonic controls better and "righter", including when in comes to building and maintaining speed.
    I think the controls/physics are reverse engineered from the Genesis games to be identical. Genesis Sonic always had perfect controls, but almost every attempt since has fucked that up.

Rush is an exception. That changed the physics in a way that wasn't just a bad imitation of the Genesis games but was more of it's own thing with mechanics that worked in harmony with the level design.

9. Umm, he's right. People do hype up new stuff way too quickly.

Maybe in a year's time people will still think Mania is the best Sonic ever. But we won't know for another year.

Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    The Buren of proof falls on those saying it is the most balanced and polished.