Page 55 of 58 FirstFirst ... 41515354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonic Mania (PC, PS4, XBO, Switch)

I think it is that they lack the point of reference that is the presonic mega drive games. They were never a kid in a world of golden axe, altered beast, or ghouls and ghosts. They don't know that you used to have to time shit perfectly through a whole fucking game. 2 or 1 hit, dead. 3 lives, game over. You had to land almost everything.

What is their point of reference? Sonic advance titles where you run forward? Bioshock that constantly reloads you? All modern games that let you save at any time?

These kids are expecting sonic to be something it isn't and fundamentally misunderstanding the game mechanics. Sometimes you go fast. And sometimes you go slow. Sonic isn't just fast. He's suppose to be smart. And agile. You aren't suppose to beat it the first time. You aren't suppose to have infinte lives. You are suppose to get better and better at the game. As you get better, you find more lives, and earn more rings, earning more lives. Then when you get pummeled in the later levels, you have enough spare lives to make it through. And even then, you get better and better and you're eventually able to burn through the game.

And also, there is the ring mechanic, so if you get hit, you can often recover and press on. Except for the bosses. You just have to get better at their patterns.

But I say this coming as a person that had Altered Beast, Thunder Force II, Last Battle, Golden Axe, MJ's Moonwalker and Mickey's Castle of Illusion going into Sonic 1. Sonic 1 was a god send. It was balanced enough that a kid could keep getting better and make progress. Many of the listed titles are cheap ass bullshit in comparison.

You run into a robot and lose your rings? So what? Go find some more rings. This is the game kids. You aren't suppose to be good on your first go of any level.

What was the first one that broke away from that? Knuckle Chaotix? I beat that the first day I got it. And most consider the gameplay of Chaotix to be garbage.

2. Fe 26, you know, I think you hit the nail on the head. I just started to realize how hard and how much skill Sonic took after trying to teach my wife how to play Sonic 2 and Sonic 3. She couldn't finish the first act of Chemical Plant zone no matter how hard she tried just because of a few parts where you have to have perfect timing with jumping platforms. This is actually the same reason why we enjoyed the hell out of playing Kirby's Epic Yarn - where you can't really die but it's still a lot of fun to play co-op.

I always looked at Sonic as an easy game series, which I guess played a role in how much fun it was to play. To feel freedom of playing kind of chaotically without worrying about one-hit kills. Thinking about it further... this was years after playing Super Mario Bros.! Which was the first game I've ever owned, and still challenging to this day! I still can't beat it on NES classic, ha. Mario made Sonic look easy back in the day.

I think the part that's misleading about Sonic is that it's easy and free for the most part but it does lob in some pretty hardcore platforming challenges here and there. And when it comes to the end game stages (like Air Fortress in Sonic 2) it can get pretty brutal.

I'm figuring out that my lack of interest for a lot of games these days is because of the dumbing down of the timing/skilled based challenges. The Dark Souls/Bloodborne games have really been the only series to give me dopamine in the same way. Still gravitated towards games like Yakuza and PlatinumGame's titles. Most recent Mario games (outside of New Super Mario Bros) still feed those kinds of urges. I can't stand seeing games that try to cover up their lame gameplay with "RPG mechanics" or crafting systems! haha

flying fortress isn't as hard as it seems. You can skip the first fall to your death area by jumping through a large fan. And later on you can skip a platform to give yourself more time.

Click for full size
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s2-wfz-act1map.png 
Views:	448 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	80800  

the mj remixes have began

5. Subtle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. Started another playthru now that the magic has worn off. I'm still seriously enjoying this more then I should be. The Music is what hits home to me more then anything. Tell Lopes nailed that feeling of classic Sonic music perfectly. Stardust Speedway was probably the highest note for me with Oil Ocean right behind it. I'm seriously happy this game exists. With how successful it's been overall I hope Sega realized that fans will want more games of this quality.

Still bitter about no physical release but I can deal with it.

P.S. I'm still fucking cringing at Sonic Forces. The Greenhill Stage music is raping the shit out of my ears.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

7. I really love this game but without going too much into it, I feel like every time I observe someone playing Sonic they don't fucking understand that Sonic needs to be in a ball to hurt enemies. I see it time and time again!!

and for the record this game isn't very hard, although certainly there are challenges that can be frustrating. but almost all of them truly do have mechanics that can be mastered. I put 15 hours into it the first week I had it easy. finished my first save, went back for more. GREAT STUFF.

my only minor complaint, besides the fact that the blue sphere levels were blue balling me until I realized how they worked, is Super Sonic is too easy to activate accidentally once you unlock him.

there are people that wished this had the homing attack...

9. Baaaayyyyybeeeessss. Deyere Baaaayyyybeeeesss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!