Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yooka-Laylee (PC, PS4, One, Wii U)

1. Play it and get back to me. I'm legit curious.

I played it to completion, and I liked it!

This game gets sooo much shit from people who think they know from game design but don't know shit. My favorite argument was about the quill placement and how Maaaaarioooo wouldn't put a quill there, they use coins to guide a player and never stick them behind an object. Bitch, I got some shit in Mario Odyssey you need to see.

It's not perfect. Controls are good except for when the move is programmed to control like shit, like the flight move. Little annoyances keep coming up like Yooka's inability to step over a 1/2 inch change in elevation, requiring a jump. I'm talking like going from even ground to stepping on a flat piece of cardboard, but instead of stepping on it you run against it like it's a wall until you jump.

World design is overall pretty good. Enemies are either the same one with a different skin or literally the same awful bee that is annoying to kill (sonar then jump attack or aoe sonar, btw.) At some point they added a ton of unnecessary signage through the game for level locations in the hub, guess some people are just that bad.

The worst thing this game does is not grow the genre. You would be right to expect there to be some sort of advancement in the formula after so many years and there really isn't. I don't understand this weird, new backlash where people pretend that N64 Rare games weren't good, so if you're on that train explain it to me and also avoid this.

The actual worst thing are Rextro's "'"'arcade"'"' games. You would fucking think this is a great opportunity to have some fun and make mini-games based on arcade classics, but no. They either ran out of time or someone fucked it up so bad they need to never work again. I don't care if they have children. What you get are some terrible mini-games based around the existing game engine, which makes no sense since Rextro is a retro game dino who likes arcade classics. They also control very poorly and feel just awful to play. It's like chewing tinfoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mzo
    I don't understand this weird, new backlash where people pretend that N64 Rare games weren't good, so if you're on that train explain it to me and also avoid this.
    They don't all belong in the same category. Banjo Kazooie was good. Donkey Kong 64 was trash. But I haven't played either in ages to remember why in detail.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 07 Jul 2018 at 01:40 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    They don't all belong in the same category. Banjo Kazooie was good. Donkey Kong 64 was trash. But I haven't played either in ages to remember why in detail.
    I honestly would have been perfectly happy with DK64 if it had 2 or 3 characters with 1/3 of the collectables with nothing ghosted out for specific characters. The repetition and character switching are what killed it. Gameplay is fine, but the level design is a little uninspired.

I agree with Chao. It's on my list to play through soon but from what I remember it was well-made and fun to play, just had way too much bullshit.

Banjo = just enough, Tooie = whoa there, DK64 = what has science wrought.

I also need to try Jet Force Gemini again, I only rented that one.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    I played it to completion, and I liked it!

This game gets sooo much shit from people who think they know from game design but don't know shit. My favorite argument was about the quill placement and how Maaaaarioooo wouldn't put a quill there, they use coins to guide a player and never stick them behind an object. Bitch, I got some shit in Mario Odyssey you need to see.

It's not perfect. Controls are good except for when the move is programmed to control like shit, like the flight move. Little annoyances keep coming up like Yooka's inability to step over a 1/2 inch change in elevation, requiring a jump. I'm talking like going from even ground to stepping on a flat piece of cardboard, but instead of stepping on it you run against it like it's a wall until you jump.

World design is overall pretty good. Enemies are either the same one with a different skin or literally the same awful bee that is annoying to kill (sonar then jump attack or aoe sonar, btw.) At some point they added a ton of unnecessary signage through the game for level locations in the hub, guess some people are just that bad.

The worst thing this game does is not grow the genre. You would be right to expect there to be some sort of advancement in the formula after so many years and there really isn't. I don't understand this weird, new backlash where people pretend that N64 Rare games weren't good, so if you're on that train explain it to me and also avoid this.

The actual worst thing are Rextro's "'"'arcade"'"' games. You would fucking think this is a great opportunity to have some fun and make mini-games based on arcade classics, but no. They either ran out of time or someone fucked it up so bad they need to never work again. I don't care if they have children. What you get are some terrible mini-games based around the existing game engine, which makes no sense since Rextro is a retro game dino who likes arcade classics. They also control very poorly and feel just awful to play. It's like chewing tinfoil.
    You liked it but then you wrote this long pair of paragraphs telling us all the bad stuff. Come on man don't die on this hill like this. What was good about the game?
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

Shit, I did the thing where I edit a post and the delete button stretches out past thr body of the post so clicking in the text field deletes your post.

I also liked Gravity Rush 2 and then put that shit up on a cross. It's what I do. Games can always improve.

YK's biggest setback was its budget. Too many things in the game have a limited scope and feel that seem like budget problems. It deserves some backlash but not the massive backlash it got that then extended to Banjon and the like saying these games were never good. That's ridiculous.

It's not great, but it's good. Better than Sonic Adventure 2, for example.

8. That's what I'm talking about! I wanna hear all the good stuff about this game. I can deal with some negatives if there's good shit in it. I just picked up Battle Chasers for Switch. Already a few hours in and loving it. I think the biggest factor is the soundtrack is so fucking awesome. Between this and Octopath Traveler this next week it's a good time to be an RPG fan!
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL