Thread: PC Peripherals

1. PC Peripherals

I've been shopping around for a new keyboard, mouse, and mousepad, and it just got me wondering about what everyone else here uses and/or prefers. Any style/brand preferences?

My last three mice have been Razers (2013 Naga, original model Naga, and original model DeathAdder) and after a bit of browsing I just ordered the Naga Hex V2. Before all of those I used to use Microsoft's Intellimouse Explorers, and I know those were extremely popular in their time. The Naga isn't necessarily my perfect shape/weight, but I'm used to them and I've become pretty reliant on the mess of buttons that these MMO/MOBA mouses have.

I haven't tried any Logitech gaming mice in a very long time, but last I did I really disliked them. The ergonomics always felt extremely awkward to me and I never really understood how they were so popular. It seemed like the shape/weight tended to force a heavy palm grip, which always feels imprecise to me. I'm sure they've changed a lot since then, though, and there are a ton of new models, so who knows. Rather than taking a gamble I'm just sticking to what I've been using.

Zowie's mice really piqued my interest. It's a brand by BenQ and they seem to be very highly praised within competitive FPS communities. Anyone tried one?

As far as keyboards go, I've wanted to get a nice mechanical keyboard for ages -- still don't have one. Once all of the "gamer gear" brands hopped on the mechanical bandwagon it kind of just made me throw up my hands and I never ended up getting around to it. For those that have them, though, what types of switches do you like best? The Cherry MX Reds seem to be the most popular among gamers, and I really enjoy the clicky sound that MX Blues and Greens make, but, based purely on speculation I feel like I'd really enjoy Topre switches the best. I've had my eye on the Happy Hacking Professional 2 forever and I still plan to own one one day. I might snag a Corsair Vengeance K65 first as it's one third of the price.

Not a huge point to this thread, just seeing if anyone likes this stuff enough to discuss it.

2. Corsair makes good keyboards. I have one of their recent RGB ones.

Razor's stuff is trash. I wouldn't buy them again. I bought a wireless Naga and it was complete shit. Syncing problems, battery drained quickly, etc. Wired it's fine if not very comfortable.

I have a RAT 9 which I like. It's weird looking but very adjustable and pretty comfortable. I would buy another one without a doubt.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Razor's stuff is trash. I wouldn't buy them again. I bought a wireless Naga and it was complete shit. Syncing problems, battery drained quickly, etc. Wired it's fine if not very comfortable.
    I briefly tried one of their mechanical keyboards, enough to determine that it felt cheap and I disliked it, and I've had bad experiences with some of their other products such as headsets as well, but their mice have always felt pretty nice to me. I never had the urge to buy a wireless mouse though, I've always just gone with wired ones.

I always figured the RAT would cut me somewhere if I set my hand on it, but that's cool that it's comfy. I wish there was a place I could swap out mice and spend like five minutes trying each one.

My mouse (G500), keyboard (basic illuminated), and headset (G35) are all Logitech. I've had them all for a while though, so I can't speak to their new stuff. I've never had a problem with anything I've bought from them though. ASUS and them are my two "when in doubt" companies.

I share your interest in mechanical keyboards, so if you find a good one, please let us know.

5. I bought some razer deathmouse and deathkeyboard and they're not bad, but not that great. The keyboard lacks any gap between the number row and function keys, which I don't care for because it makes it harder to find backspace..

The best mice I've owned were logitech MX512 and MX510. Very comfortable and they lasted forever. I don't know what their modern equivalent would be. My Logitech wireless trackball was garbage, though. The wireless was laggy and made cursor movement really inconsistent.

I think my next keyboard will be a Unicomp PC-122.
    Last edited by kedawa; 09 Sep 2016 at 09:53 PM.

6. I like my ms ergonomic 4000 keyboard, it's not the greatest piece of hardware but it's probably the best no-bullshit ergonomic keyboard out there these days

7. Logitech has never done me wrong.
    I replaced my G15 and MX518 this year with the G610 Mechanical Keyboard (red) and the G502 mouse.

They are both spectacular.

8. Well, that Naga Hex V2 and a Manticore mousepad showed up today. Mixed feelings.

Naga Hex V2: It's pretty comfortable and I really like the type of matte finish that Razer has been putting on their latest generation of mice. Feels great. On the flipside, it's significantly heavier than my 2013 Naga was and is ultimately heavier than I'd like. Also, I'm not really sold on these hex keys -- if I had to order again I'd probably just get the regular Naga 2014 edition, but I'm going to hang onto this and maybe I'll get used to it.

Manticore: This one I'm sending back. I really liked the idea of having an aluminum mousepad, but this one is terrible, unfortunately. Mine showed up with a slight bow in the middle and after about 60 minutes of use whatever part of it my hand/wrist were resting on would start failing to track properly. The Naga even has custom calibration for Razer mousepads in the Synapse software and still just refuses to track properly, consistently on this pad. When I tried switching back to my old ragged Vespula the problems disappeared entirely.

Guess I'll just stick with the plastic pads and try the Destructor 2 instead. I really do need something, my previous mousepad has had one foot in the grave for the last year.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post

I like my Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Keyboard. It hasn't let me down. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409987,00.asp

I do agree that their mouse isn't all that great. I have the Death Adder 2013, that has a well know problem with the left index button sticking. I had to open it up and lubricate the button less than a year after I bought the mouse. I also don't like that you have to use Razer's software to adjust the settings of the mouse. I'm constantly battling with the sensitivity settings, because when I highlight stuff, it sometimes doesn't stick; it's very annoying.

10. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I have the Death Adder 2013, that has a well know problem with the left index button sticking. I had to open it up and lubricate the button less than a year after I bought the mouse.
    That seems to be / have been a running problem with a lot of Razer mice and is ultimately why I ended up replacing my last Naga. That one lasted me about three years before it started happening though, which is an acceptable life expectancy for any mouse, to me, so I wasn't all that bitter about it.