Page 1 of 14 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Playing? (Fall, 2016)

What Are You Playing? (Fall, 2016)

Darius Burst Chronicle Saviors (PC) - I had shelved this one once the idea of getting an ultrawide monitor entered my head, because the arcade mode specifically greatly benefits. Looking back, I should have played more of the native mode while I waited, because it's made for 16:9. There are a bunch of other games I've also been sitting on, so it's going to be a fire drill the rest of the year. Plus Forza and Gears have 21:9 support.

Hitman - PC - Another Elusive Target met her maker this week, via a chandelier to the head in an unfortunate "accident." Now that I have my new monitor, I'm going to finally go to Thailand, as I had been putting that off for the best experience. Colorado is the next locale, and I'm looking forward to the contract on Finch. I'll bet I Agent 47 can make an explosive 3DS...

Star Wars: Battlefront (PC) - After getting the season pass for 50% off, I got really into the Outer Rim and Bespin content. Unfortunately, the Death Star one is a bit of a let down for my tastes. There are only three modes in it: Blast (TDM), Flight Squadron (Flying TDM), and Battle Station. The last is the new one to this DLC. It has (up to) three phases. First, the terrorist team has to destroy a Star Destroyer so that a transport can land on the Death Star. Second, they have to rescue R2-D2 and get him back to the transport. Finally, they have to destroy the Death Star via the exhaust port. I say "up to," because if the Empire wins any of those, the mode ends. Two of the three are flying, which I just don't think is as much fun as the FPS gameplay. It's too simplistic compared to the all-time great TIE Fighter for me. I need to get all the achievements before Gears takes over as my multiplayer game.

2. I still don't get the 21:9 thing. You can get the same horizontal FOV on a 16:9 monitor and get the benefit of a greater vertical FOV. Not only that but it's cheaper to get a 16:9 monitor the same width.

You can set FOV to whatever you want, but you're going to get crazy distortion without the right aspect ratio. I tried 110 in Battlefront, and it looked ridiculous in 21:9 even. I dialed it back to 100, and it is pretty much perfect.

edit: It all comes down to preference, like a lot of PC hardware, but the support is growing:

http://www.pcgamer.com/lgs-34-inch-2...etter-than-4k/

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...rawide-gaming/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/
    Last edited by Yoshi; 22 Sep 2016 at 02:37 PM.

4. Yeah, I could see the added vertical fov causing some serious distortion.

Still, I can buy a bigger monitor with comparable horizontal resolution, and run the same 21:9 content letterboxed for half the price. It'll be a lot more compelling when I don't have to pay a premium for it.
    Last edited by kedawa; 22 Sep 2016 at 05:15 PM.

5. Recap of the last few weeks, I'll start with the incredible succession of free game trials on the PS4:

Titanfall 2 (Tech Test) - I always wanted to play Titanfall, so obviously I was definitely excited at this chance and I really enjoyed it. Played a ton during both available weekend periods, reaching the level cap both times. The mobility and the Titans were really fun to learn how to play with, although I still have ways to go (especially from what I see from experienced players in youtube videos), as was the new grappling hook. I didn't dislike the maps utilized in the Tech Test as much as the vocal internet minority, but I do agree that the first two maps seemingly didn't do a great job of providing ample opportunities for the mobility championed by the franchise. Again though, I say that knowing full well that I have to improve. The game looks great on the PS4, I thought, and online performance was rock solid from what I recall. I'm considering picking this up day one, eager to hear more about the single player campaign and hopefully more offline capability.

Nioh (Beta) - First session was a lot to take in, trying to learn all of the mechanics, as well as how and when to utilize the stances with the best weapons I came across - mostly dual swords early on, which probably skewed the experience a bit. But after that initial period, as I began to get a grasp on the game, it grew on me considerably. Team Ninja looks to be building on the obvious Souls influence in their own fashion in exciting and interesting ways, which is honestly great to see. Plus I always get a kick out of imbuing weapons with visualized elemental properties for increased damage. Obtained the Mark of the Conqueror, but unfortunately I wasn't able to get the Mark of the Strong by the end of the Beta period because of other commitments. Nioh is definitely on the radar now, I'm looking forward to the full game.

Battlefield 1 (Beta) - I didn't dislike it, but it didn't excite or impress me much at all. It was okay. Some of the improvements mentioned afterward sound promising I suppose, as someone who likes playing the Medic class and isn't particularly obsessed with vehicles, but we'll see. BF Bad Company 2 was some time ago and it's clearly apparent that DICE has no idea or grasp of what made that game great. There's so many other games to play instead, so it's easy to move on.

Overwatch (Free Weekend) - Finally got to see this for myself, and I now understand why it's so popular. Kudos to Blizzard, they nailed it with this game, including an outstanding job in crafting the characters as entities to play as or against. Depending on what my team needed, I played between Mercy, Zarya, Mei, rarely Pharah and a very small bit of Hanzo (on the rare occasions there wasn't already at least one on the team). Didn't even get through the full weekend before getting tired of seeing Reaper, fuck that edgelord. I can see why the loot boxes are undoubtedly such a financial success for Blizzard with this game.

For Honor (Closed Alpha) - Sharp visually. Took a couple of tries and frankly some bouts of frustration, but I did warm up to it a bit - especially once I finally learned how to counter, thanks to a forum post instead of the game itself. I'm interested to see how the game is received, I don't think it reaches the multiplayer highs of other competitive games like Overwatch, Splatoon, or Titanfall 2 (particularly from the game modes in the Closed Alpha), nor does it feel as satisfying attacking the enemy hordes as in a Musou game. But for those who like being in the world of the game and enjoy the tense duels that are the basic beats of the game, after some time with the game that's where I realized it may hook people and might actually survive as an online MP/e-sports-whatever game.

I started with the Kensei (Samurai) but shifted to the Warden (Knight), and even enjoyed customizing my character in terms of armor and emblem designs - more so than the loot you earn while playing. The scoring system for Dominion didn't seem to properly reward objective-based play or even assists, but again, I wasn't very good at combat for a good part of my time with the game. From what I experienced, the lack of dedicated servers/netcode and menu navigation are a far greater concern however. Then again Rainbow Six Siege seems to be surprisingly popular, so if that's the case, maybe Ubisoft will get it squared away by the release of For Honor in the now very stacked month of February 2017 (we should discuss this in another thread btw).

SOLDIER, First Class

Monster Hunter Generations - Have crossed the 106-hour mark, and I am now a Great Sword believer. I did use the GS some in MH3U actually, but that was my first full experience with monhun and it didn't really stick then like it has now with my trusty Buster Blade. Just reached a point with my current set where I've got Focus and Crit Draw, hoping to get a better suited charm that can let me build on that further. It's so hard to put the game away when you're always keen for one more villager quest or one more attempt at getting the required items to craft/upgrade something.

Journey - Played this for the first time and ended up playing through it in one sitting. I can definitely see why the game was as lauded as it was upon its release. Looks fantastic, yet another instance where I love the new TV my family gifted me this past Christmas. Finished the game with three players listed, but there was one player who I'm sure I partnered with for most of the game and like a sap, I was more excited and elated to see that player make it through the final set piece with me - after all we had been through as the game wore on - than I probably should have. But that's a good thing.

Damn it, Maribel.

Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past - Over 6 hours in now, having returned to Emberdale. 10 minutes into the game, I had a big, stupid grin on my face. The soundtrack is fire. Having only played IV and IX before this, I absolutely adore party chat - what a perfect feature for an RPG. Maybe it's just me, but the character models seem slightly bigger than you might expect, I like it. Also it's interesting how there's a viewing angle setting for world map traversal, I prefer the default that's aimed at the landscape ahead of the characters on their adventure.
    Last edited by Geo; 23 Sep 2016 at 07:02 PM.

Forza Horizon 3 (PC) - This is going to be the third post where I mention how amazing this looks, and it probably won't be the last. There are some vistas that are near Witcher III quality, especially if you slow down and take the chance to savor them. I think the things I enjoy most so far are the collectibles, which is odd. I really love hearing that there's a new barn find to go track down.

Hitman (PC) - I finished all of the opportunities in Bangkok, and Colorado launched on Tuesday. It's set in a militia compound, and it's probably the best locale yet in terms of variety.

River City: Tokyo Rumble (3DS) - I played an hour of this during my daughter's soccer practice. It's really good, but the 3DS XL is about as ergonomic as an iron maiden, so I'll have to bang buttons in small chunks.

Star Wars: Battlefront (PC) - I finished up all of the Death Star specific stuff and am now working on leveling up to unlock new appearances and completing my diorama collection. I want to be all caught up before the Rogue One DLC in December. Thankfully, that's enough time to take it casually after the fire drill of getting through The Outer Rim and Bespin before the Death Star.

7. Skullgirls: 2nd Encore (PS3) - Giving this another look, after a certain (unnamed) fighting game's persistent problems. Not a bit bad! Fun seeing old animation industry friends' names in the credits, too.

It's largely MvC2 Fanservice Edition, but that's not such a bad thing to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

8. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    River City: Tokyo Rumble (3DS) It's really good, but the 3DS XL is about as ergonomic as an iron maiden, so I'll have to bang buttons in small chunks.
    Follow Gohan and I...

9. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Skullgirls: 2nd Encore (PS3) - Giving this another look, after a certain (unnamed) fighting game's persistent problems. Not a bit bad! Fun seeing old animation industry friends' names in the credits, too.

It's largely MvC2 Fanservice Edition, but that's not such a bad thing to be.
    It just needs Julius Pringles as a character.

10. I'll be 100% shocked if some announcer phrase or move isn't exactly a Pringles reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!