Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6891011 LastLast

Thread: The death of Teachers, Guides, and Gate Keepers: The Impact of the Internet on Perspective

1. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    What does this even mean? Like you don't want to touch a black persons hand even to exchange money?
    In that example I think it has more to do with people being paranoid about catching something from someone by physical contact. I've seen this attitude by people of all races sadly. The worst part is these idiots don't realize is money is some of the most filthy things they can touch considering it changes hands all the time. When I worked retail I used to get money from people that was sticky, slimely or just downright gross to touch.

Used to wash my hands almost all the time when I handled cash like that.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

2. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    What does this even mean? Like you don't want to touch a black persons hand even to exchange money?
    I don't see putting the money down on the counter as being specifically race driven, just rudeness. However, I haven't looked at it beyond seeing a cashier holding their hand out and some jerk plopping it down on the counter, right past the cashier's hand.

3. been a pet peeve of mine for years. that andpeople who remove the receipt from the register because you're just not fast enough.
    But I've mostly gotten over it. There are bigger things to worry about. I think that's part of today's society's issues. Though not entirely there yet, as can be seen by recent police brutality, minorities' standing is reaching par with the straight, white male. I see it like a curve that approaches zero but will never quite meet it. Anyway, since the vast majority is no longer excluding, beating, burning, raping, or killing minorities because they're different then the fight has moved on to somewhat inconsequential stuff.
    Racism/ sexism/ whateverism is a bit like product placement. It's always going to be there, but you shouldnt go out of your way looking for it, and if it isn't blatant there's probably something else you should be focusing on.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Well, wait until the people in that video get in charge.

"You can say whatever you want as long as the government says it's ok" - hmm

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29678989

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...n-poem?0p19G=c

(Thankfully the case was just dropped, but seriously)
    I actually support the First Amendment overall—and I think many people who are opposed to this shy away from confrontation when it rears its ugly head. I had a discussion with a mens rights activist last week. The conversation was cordial, and we exchanged viewpoints. I don't expect either of us to change just from that, but it's easier to plant seeds in sunny weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    I don't see putting the money down on the counter as being specifically race driven, just rudeness. However, I haven't looked at it beyond seeing a cashier holding their hand out and some jerk plopping it down on the counter, right past the cashier's hand.
    Oh then. Not sure why this bothers anyone but okay (I just put it in peoples hands, but I'm not a germaphobe).
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. I hate it when cashiers put a bunch of bills in my hand and then drop the change on top so it falls off. They should fucking know better.

I sometimes grab the receipt if the cashier is busy bagging up my stuff. It's not like I'm doing anything else useful.

Story of your life.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Oh then. Not sure why this bothers anyone but okay (I just put it in peoples hands, but I'm not a germaphobe).
    It doesn't really bother me because I'm not a cashier any more. But boy did it irk me when I was working at the gas station way back when!

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I hate it when cashiers put a bunch of bills in my hand and then drop the change on top so it falls off. They should fucking know better.
    Lol, chalk this up in the "shit you shouldn't let bother you but still makes you take double your Lasix dose" category.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    It's not like I'm doing anything else useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Story of your life.
    supahotfire.gif

9. The Scientific Method is sexist (and probably racist)

Instead of only listing prerequisite courses, these syllabi included prerequisite knowledge and skills, creating an even more intimidating view of the course. That language implied that not only would students be held to difficult high standards, but also that there was also a base of knowledge that was required to be successful in the course. While it is not unrealistic to include prerequisites in a syllabus, the language used to discuss the prerequisites indicated that students who had not learned or did not remember that knowledge would be unsuccessful because there was not support within the course or from the instructor. The language used in this corpus of syllabi created an impression of extremely difficult courses, which contributes to the chilly climate in STEM courses, and would be prohibitive for those not confident in those areas, such as women and minorities.
    ...the STEM syllabi explored in this study demonstrated a view of knowledge that was to be acquired by the student, which promotes a view of knowledge as unchanging. This is further reinforced by the use of adverbs to imply certainty such as “actually” and “in fact” which are used in syllabi to identify information as factual and beyond dispute. For example, “draw accurate conclusions from scientific data presented in different formats”.
    Instead of promoting the idea that knowledge is constructed by the student and dynamic, subject to change as it would in a more feminist view of knowledge, the syllabi reinforce the larger male-dominant view of knowledge as one that students acquire and use make the correct decision.

Very problematic.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 11 Oct 2016 at 11:02 PM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

10. Maybe problematic for Ubuntu Girl.