Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234568 ... LastLast

Thread: The death of Teachers, Guides, and Gate Keepers: The Impact of the Internet on Perspective

1. Free speech is real. But basically, we all just need to listen and apologize.

"Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

Doc, we have a pol thread. You don't have to force this shit into every thread.

3. That last video the woman sounds like she is looking for a father. Sad!

4. I think 24 hour news has had more of an impact on people than Facebook TBH. At least Facebook is short snippets of time. Many people I know who watch CNN/Fox/MSNBC are under a constant barrage of fear and watch it for hours on end even though the horrible news is just looped half the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. The death of Teachers, Guides, and Gate Keepers: The Impact of the Internet on Perspective

I'm not sure if Facebook is short snippets of time anymore. Walk around your city and see how people are glued to their phone. It's texting, but also Facebook and Twitter and Snapchat and all of that. People are barraging themselves with this stuff every waking moment voluntarily.

6. I don't necessarily disagree about the shortcoming of newsfeed journalism but you can curate your feed. For example I watched the Presidential Debate on my phone from Al Jazeera... which I had limited experience with. It was the best presentation of a debate I've ever experience.

CNN/MSNBC/Fox News is packaged with cable packages so for many it's their primary media source. The things these networks obsess over and sensationalize — politics, terrorism, more politics, and celebrity real-talk —are the shittiest aspects of culture. You can't curate that out for yourself and if cable news is your lens to the world you're getting a perverted view of it. It's anxious and needy.

The kicker here is that my impression of Al Jazeera according to CNN/Fox News was that it was a terrorist sympathizing news network therefore to be avoided. Facebook provided me with a counter point of view and it's been terrific.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 03 Oct 2016 at 12:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

7. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Free speech is real. But basically, we all just need to listen and apologize.

These videos are fucking depressing. I thought people went to collage to get an education and prepare for the real world no matter how harsh it is. All I'm seeing is fucking spoiled children who will get eaten alive if they ever left the united states.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

College doesn't give a shit about the real world.

If it did, work would end at 5 pm.

There would be no tests.

Being sick would get you out of work.

Funerals would get you out of class.

No one fills in to do your homework when you're I'll.

Etc, etc.

College is its own little colusium of bullshit.

9. *snap* *snap* *snap* *snap* *snap*
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

10. College is definitely insular but I'm hoping to never leave it so I'll be stuck in my own personal Jurassic Park.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread