Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 356789 ... LastLast

Thread: The death of Teachers, Guides, and Gate Keepers: The Impact of the Internet on Perspective

1. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    What is "handling criticism" in your book? Because this is how I see it going...

SJW: Those costumes are racist. You offended me and hurt my feelings.

Rich Kid: So? Why do I care about your feelings? Fuck off.

Over the years I've come to believe this is the best and only way to handle "you offended me" complaints.
    I'd be willing to bet that's 100% how it went down and both are immature stances. I guess by "handling criticism" I mean maybe acting like the adults they are supposed to be.

If I'm the SJWs I ask if they could cease wearing the costumes because they're not funny and insensitive. If they don't take me seriously then that's the end of it. Not worth my time. (Of course, that's not how SJWs operate.)

If I'm the kids throwing the party and someone voices that kind of concern I value their input and stop wearing the fucking costumes because oh shit - I'm part of society and I don't get to live in a personal bubble. (Of course, that's not how privileged kids operate.)

It sucks because something actually needs to be done about the parties - between the drugs, the shitheads in costumes, and the rapes there's enough to set some rules. Again, I don't know how much of that gets reported but it is a *real* problem. The instant absolutism of the SJWs prevents meaningful discussion, though.

2. this girl in the first video sucks bad

but then the rest of the people suck worse

what

3. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    this girl in the first video sucks bad
    Oh, they're all awful. There's one point where a girl (maybe the one you're referring to) says something to the effect of, "But what if what you're saying upsets me?" and I want to be like, "THAT'S A STUPID THING TO ASK, YOU'RE ALREADY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION!" but then my inner voice is all, "That would be rude!"

4. There are rules about drug use and rape, I'm pretty sure. Those kids are racist assholes and they shouldn't wear the costumes, but people do things that they shouldn't all the time. That's life.

I just think that a lot of these SJWs use the fact that they are "offended" as like the be-all end-all - if I am offended it is your fault and you NEED to change. And we need to reform society and expand the powers-that-be (whether it is government or school administrators) so that these people aren't "allowed" to do it anymore. And when you think about it, this is really just an utterly insane way to view the world. But it's what these people think.

Oh, and all of these kids are privileged. They're at fucking Yale.

Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    All of these kids never got teased growing up so they can't handle the slightest criticism.
    That sounds a little "get off my lawn"

They need a little empathy. And the ability to look at the bigger picture. Do they want to live in a society where things like that can be banned?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I just think that a lot of these SJWs use the fact that they are "offended" as like the be-all end-all - if I am offended it is your fault and you NEED to change. And we need to reform society and expand the powers-that-be (whether it is government or school administrators) so that these people aren't "allowed" to do it anymore.
    Exactly, and that's a shitty attitude. What if what someone is saying upsets you? Confront them about it. You'll be able to tell right away if it's worth your time trying to discuss/correct the problem. You can't have other people sweep it away, that doesn't fix anything.

(I don't want this to be construed as me saying we shouldn't openly and loudly shame racists, btw. I was doing that way before SJWs were a thing and I'm not going to stop because of them. Shaming them is different from wanting to silence them, though.)

True. I realized that midway through my first response but you know, gotta stick to the guns or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    That sounds a little "get off my lawn"
    Yeah, it kind of is, I guess.

Do they want to live in a society where things like that can be banned?
    The scary thing is that I think they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    There are rules about drug use and rape, I'm pretty sure. Those kids are racist assholes and they shouldn't wear the costumes, but people do things that they shouldn't all the time. That's life.

I just think that a lot of these SJWs use the fact that they are "offended" as like the be-all end-all - if I am offended it is your fault and you NEED to change. And we need to reform society and expand the powers-that-be (whether it is government or school administrators) so that these people aren't "allowed" to do it anymore. And when you think about it, this is really just an utterly insane way to view the world. But it's what these people think.

It's puritans. Its fucking puritans where you replace the bible with god knows what social progress books or essays they enjoy.

This is the same shit that got boards placed between couples in bed and got booze banned.

For whatever reason, some people think that if they are right, they can oppress the wrong people.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    It's puritans. Its fucking puritans where you replace the bible with god knows what social progress books or essays they enjoy.

This is the same shit that got boards placed between couples in bed and got booze banned.

For whatever reason, some people think that if they are right, they can oppress the wrong people.
    yea, I think there is truth to this.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    a 14 year old can read Judith H. Katz's 1978 book White Awareness: Handbook for Anti-Racism Training and come away thinking that Racism = Prejudiced + Power is the only and universally accepted definition of racism.
    This is a really good point and (potentially) what I was driving at with my cranky old man line - kids are growing up without having to resolve conflict. They don't know it's something that can be done. So when confronted with it in the almost real world of college it's kind of understandable that they would ask a dumb question like, "What if you say something that upsets me?"

EDIT: I'm off to sleep. It'll be fun to see where you guys go after this. (Read: Where Doc decides to send the conversation with his pol nonsense.)

10. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    Cheeks: Yale Halloween parties are absolute shitshows of racism. I'm not being cute or exaggerating by saying that. Blackface, Speedy Gonzalez, etc. are the tamest things you'll see. I can't tell you what the news reported in that instance but that shit is fact. The confrontation was because:

- Some new students got there and said, "Dafuq?" (Justified)
    - The people at the party said, "It's just jokes. Don't be so sensitive." (Assholes)
    - The new students wrote emails to the heads of the various schools. (Assholes)
    - Heads of the schools were like, "Whatever. It's just jokes." (Assholes)
    - New students demanded Halloween costumes be banned or some dumb shit. (Assholes)
    - Heads of the schools were like, "Lol, we can't ban costumes. Free speech, bitches." (Justified)

So then they cornered that guy (who is a dick).
    He can be a dick all he wants. It's his right to be but when that one girl said "It's not about creating an intellectual space but creating a home", I just rolled my fucking eyes. You can't tell me that once these kids get out into the "real" world that people are going to have a second thought about their poor feelings. If they think stamping their feet & crying about some stupid fucking costumes is the most important thing in the world to them then they're going to be in for a rude awakening when they try and do that shit to someone out there who will just fire them for something even less important.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL