Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 57891011 LastLast

Thread: The death of Teachers, Guides, and Gate Keepers: The Impact of the Internet on Perspective

1. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    Exactly - like, you idiots: Black people are being killed by the police. Killed. How about taking up that cause?
    What about all the other races of people killed by the police also? They don't count?

Also I don't think putting it on the counter is rude to me except when the cashier is holding out their hand to take your money. If you still throw it on the counter, you're a fucking asshole. I used to work retail like that years ago and I had people do that shit to me many times. I just dropped their change on the counter and dared them to say anything to me.

Social Media, The Internet and all sorts of bullshit have given people more of a voice then what was possible years ago. While I think the spirit of free communication and ideas is great at it's core. The problem is too many people to me have grown up in an age now where they're literally connected to their cellphones. One co-worker of mine can't go thru his shift without checking his phone every 10 minutes. It's stupid.
    Last edited by BonusKun; 04 Oct 2016 at 08:01 AM.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

2. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Some cultures think that is more polite.
    Those cultures are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    What about all the other races of people killed by the police also? They don't count?
    It was a non-exclusive example, smartass!

The problem is too many people to me have grown up in an age now where they're literally connected to their cellphones. One co-worker of mine can't go thru his shift without checking his phone every 10 minutes. It's stupid.
    Nothing makes me feel more "get off my lawn"-ish than the rage I feel when the cashier at Target or wherever is more concerned with their Instagram feed than ringing up my stuff. It literally doesn't matter - AND I would be angry if they started asking me about my day or initiating other conversation, too. Fuck you brain.

3. Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    This post I fully agree with. These kids are obviously sheltered. They've never had any real problems in their lives. I'm sure some homeless black person on the street for example couldn't give a shit about some stupid racist costumes.

I hope these kids years later look at how they're acting & realize how fucking petty they are being.
    I'm not sure how this is an argument. "Homeless black guy doesn't have time to care about this kind of racism!" isn't really an actual defence for it. Stop doing racist shit? Up here you wouldn't be able to wear racist costumes—it would be considered hate speech. You could do it as a protest I believe, but you'd have to declare it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

4. That's overstating things. You can wear whatever costume you want, but you'd have a hard time finding people who would be okay with something overtly racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I'm not sure how this is an argument. "Homeless black guy doesn't have time to care about this kind of racism!" isn't really an actual defence for it. Stop doing racist shit? Up here you wouldn't be able to wear racist costumes—it would be considered hate speech. You could do it as a protest I believe, but you'd have to declare it.
    If Canada won't let me dress like a cigar store indian, Canada sucks.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Up here you wouldn't be able to wear racist costumes—it would be considered hate speech. You could do it as a protest I believe, but you'd have to declare it.
    Canadian and European free speech laws are a fucking joke.

I used to work a register, this thread is triggering me.

I have never heard of anyone in Canada being charged with anything for a Halloween costume. A few years ago I saw someone dressed in a KKK costume and I think people mostly took it as a joke. At my wife's job, she has had to deal with a white client with a swastika tattooed on his forehead. That guy isn't being charged with a crime (not for that anyway). I think hate speech laws are bullshit but in Canada they seem closer to inciting violence laws than more extreme versions in some places in Europe.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Canadian and European free speech laws are a fucking joke.
    It does seem rife for over censorship, but I think so far it hasn't been enforced to the tits.

Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    Hey fuck you - putting the money down on the counter is rude.
    What does this even mean? Like you don't want to touch a black persons hand even to exchange money?

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    I have never heard of anyone in Canada being charged with anything for a Halloween costume.
    I am not specifically calling out Halloween costumes. But it probably could be under the law. Anything directed at a group of people in a negative manner (particularly minority groups recognized by the government) is considered hate speech because it's considered discrimination. See this. You could potentially be charged with assault. I don't have a solution to racist Halloween costumes or posters... I would favour being open more than what we have.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 04 Oct 2016 at 01:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

10. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    It does seem rife for over censorship, but I think so far it hasn't been enforced to the tits.
    Well, wait until the people in that video get in charge.

"You can say whatever you want as long as the government says it's ok" - hmm

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29678989

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...n-poem?0p19G=c

(Thankfully the case was just dropped, but seriously)