Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: The death of Teachers, Guides, and Gate Keepers: The Impact of the Internet on Perspective

is your autism kicking in? What is the problem?

2. You really didn't have a civics class, did you? Amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

This is all very relevant to the thread.

4. Maybe the problem isn't so new.

Yes, given that the first post mentions the translation of the Bible into English, you are probably correct.

6. Hahaha I love these little talks we have.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

7. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I think the web benefits people that don't need curators. People that will read many sources and dig deep. But it hurts lazy people. They build whatever worldview they find convenient and then go dick off. They find the definition of words that bolster their position and surround themselves with people that agree. Or they read conspiracy theories about the Illuminati Jewish conspiracy and in a weird way it makes them feel safe because they have a handle on the chaos of the world and can surround themselves with like minded people. They've got a handle on things and have the strength of perceived numbers.
    I think that's fairly typical though, not internet specific. If you're joe schmo in some midwest town in 1950, you're going to usually agree with the mindset and popular consensus of that town in that point in time. This is how mass panics happen - a small community gets ahold of information that doesn't match their status quo and all hell breaks lose. I'm in the minority but I think even if you engage in an internet echo chamber you STILL have access to more information than a typical town square discussion. If you're open to it, thats your own business, but all you have to do is read the comment section of any article to be exposed to a 300 different opinions. It's just less confrontational than the town square scenario, so most default to what they're exposed to.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

8. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    read the comment section of any article
    This is something I would never recommend to anybody. Every time I zone out and make the mistake of reading comments I always end up hating humanity and myself.

9. omg no i love the comment section, 9/10 it contains fascinating information about where someone is socially, culturally, and mentally. I love it. It can be maddening but i love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    it contains fascinating information about where someone is socially, culturally, and mentally.
    A bad bad place.