Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: The death of Teachers, Guides, and Gate Keepers: The Impact of the Internet on Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree about the shortcoming of newsfeed journalism but you can curate your feed. For example I watched the Presidential Debate on my phone from Al Jazeera... which I had limited experience with. It was the best presentation of a debate I've ever experience.

CNN/MSNBC/Fox News is packaged with cable packages so for many it's their primary media source. The things these networks obsess over and sensationalize — politics, terrorism, more politics, and celebrity real-talk —are the shittiest aspects of culture. You can't curate that out for yourself and if cable news is your lens to the world you're getting a perverted view of it. It's anxious and needy.

The kicker here is that my impression of Al Jazeera according to CNN/Fox News was that it was a terrorist sympathizing news network therefore to be avoided. Facebook provided me with a counter point of view and it's been terrific.
    I think you over estimate the average facebook user.

They check facebook about every 30 minutes and do not control their feed. They look at whatever the facebook equation serves them up, probably 32 times a day, or more.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    *snap* *snap* *snap* *snap* *snap*
    That's the worst thing of all. The finger snapping shit because some people get "Triggered" by clapping. So many fucking sensitive pussies in that video.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

3. The same thing happens in Anarchist communities. People turn it into The Righteousness Wars.

Boo, Hiss.

4. The death of Teachers, Guides, and Gate Keepers: The Impact of the Internet on Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    College doesn't give a shit about the real world.

If it did, work would end at 5 pm.

There would be no tests.

Being sick would get you out of work.

Funerals would get you out of class.

No one fills in to do your homework when you're I'll.

Etc, etc.

College is its own little colusium of bullshit.
    The point of going away to college is that you have to figure shit out on your own but have the benefit of being in an enclosed bubble. Picking a major and filling your schedule is not REALLY important but it's good for a young person to figure that stuff out.

These people are looking for surrogate parents to protect them like their real parents did in high school. Helicopter parenting coming home to roost.

Good luck with that!

6. The death of Teachers, Guides, and Gate Keepers: The Impact of the Internet on Perspective

Well it used to work like that. I'm sure it solo is for many. My parents basically didn't give a shit about what I did at school. These people are crying to this old dude because he didn't take care of them.

I meant good luck to these kids getting second parents. I couldn't get some of these teachers to be humans let alone parental figures.

Burn the flesh off your writing hand? You still take final. Fuck you ip.

8. I never looked at college as real world prep. It was always information gathering so I could get a job or explore ideas. The independence associated with school came from being away from parents, sure, but that was the result of geography. If you go to a school around or in the town over from your family home you aren't going to break away (until you get your own place).
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

9. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    The same thing happens in Anarchist communities. People turn it into The Righteousness Wars.

This is such a great song, but that video needs more blood.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

10. Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    That's the worst thing of all. The finger snapping shit because some people get "Triggered" by clapping. So many fucking sensitive pussies in that video.
    Is that what that was about? I thought those niggas were laying down beats.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt