Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a website in current year

1. Making a website in current year

What is the word on website makers this year? I see ads for stuff like Squarespace all the time but I have no idea what is good. I don't want to do anything fancy, just a blog with maybe some book reviews and stuff.

2. Squarespace is pretty big. I've seen so many corporate sites made with Squarespace or Wordpress.

3. Squarespace and alts like LightCMS are pretty good all-in-one solutions. You can reg a domain, set up hosting, install themes and all sorts of easy shit out of the box. Of course you're paying a bit more for the convenience, but it's worth it in my experience. Wordpress is a bitch. Setting it up is really quite easy, and you can have a simple blog up and running in no time. I've made about 15 Wordpress-based sites for clients and startups and it never 100% does what you want it to do without some dirty asshole code hacking. Who the fuck over 21 has time for that? If you love tinkering maybe it's a good choice. Squarespace is limited to what you can do with the design... but their templates and options are very design-forward and they have a pretty big variety of different website "types" (blog, store, commercial website, restaurant, etc.) that you can go with. I'd give them a try if the price is OK with you.

If you want to run a store then Shopify is a good bet. I'm currently running a few Toronto/University merch sites and making an easy profit. You can use a plugin with Shopify called Dropship that prints and ships to customers automatically when someone orders. You just set your "profit" margin and they'll mark it up on that $5 or so. So if someone buys a tshirt I know I'm making $10.

The fucking future is now.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 08 Nov 2016 at 12:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

4. if you do go the wordpress route, get the hosted one at the very least (and if you run your own install for the love of fucking god keep it updated)

5. I've used WPEngine before. For high-profile sites this host is garbage. But for a less needy website it seems to offer some good options.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Squarespace and alts like LightCMS are pretty good all-in-one solutions. You can reg a domain, set up hosting, install themes and all sorts of easy shit out of the box. Of course you're paying a bit more for the convenience, but it's worth it in my experience. Wordpress is a bitch. Setting it up is really quite easy, and you can have a simple blog up and running in no time. I've made about 15 Wordpress-based sites for clients and startups and it never 100% does what you want it to do without some dirty asshole code hacking. Who the fuck over 21 has time for that? If you love tinkering maybe it's a good choice. Squarespace is limited to what you can do with the design... but their templates and options are very design-forward and they have a pretty big variety of different website "types" (blog, store, commercial website, restaurant, etc.) that you can go with. I'd give them a try if the price is OK with you.

If you want to run a store then Shopify is a good bet. I'm currently running a few Toronto/University merch sites and making an easy profit. You can use a plugin with Shopify called Dropship that prints and ships to customers automatically when someone orders. You just set your "profit" margin and they'll mark it up on that $5 or so. So if someone buys a tshirt I know I'm making $10.

The fucking future is now.
    Are you the reason Facebook is full of $25 novelty tshirts?

7. Squarespace and WordPress (the self-hosted software package) are quite different animals. WP is nearly as versatile as you could want it to be, but as was mentioned, doing some things properly is going to require getting under the hood. With any "website builder" like Squarespace or Wix it's never going to be as open-ended, but it can certainly be simpler to set up your own site that way if you don't mind working within their pre-established parameters.

The best way to get a site off the ground without hiring someone is probably "know a guy." After that, if you don't want to pay to have the site itself built, it just depends on where you care to fall on the convenience vs. versatility spectrum. Doing it yourself, you're almost always going to sacrifice one for the other.

8. I feel like having a website is today's form of resume. It's like you have to have one to be seen as more professional (at least if you work in the tech or design industry). But I'd honestly go with a website builder rather than hiring a web designer or a web developer for my own website. I use hPage website builder for that. It's not as popular as Squarespace or WP but it's cheaper and does the job easily for me. And at least I have full control of my content and everything instead of going to a web developer if i need to modify something.

I mean, if you just need something simple for your portfolio or professional site, then just go with a builder. It will make your life easier.

9. Hey, are ya more than a spam bot?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Hey, are ya more than a spam bot?

First of all, I am not a spam bot.

Second, my response is related to this thread so don't get your panties in a twist.