Page 30 of 968 FirstFirst ... 162628293031323444 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    I'm just happy we have so many Republicans in Congress now. Because they are champions of democracy, national security, vote integrity, and exposing the truth about the communications of our officials, we can rest easy knowing they'll do everything they can to continue this probe, right?
    No. Because politics is a sport to the right and their voters. Those things only matter when the other team does them. Its ok for your linebacker to be accused of rape, but holy shit, if any of the teams you're playing this year have possible rapist on them, its a grand conspiracy.

2. This guy has been an absolute delight.

On the bright side, his career will be short if he goes after the CIA.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I think everyone would do well to pay more attention to Russia. They're winning. I hear their propaganda from plenty of well off Americans. Everyone should be concerned. Russia is shaping the beliefs of the alt right, main right, and hate groups. They seek to either have alt right conservatives elected that will pull American industry out of the global market under the guise of bringing jobs home. Or for the right to revolt and destroy the country from the inside. Or some mix of both.
    The 80s called. They want their foreign policy back.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    What exactly did Russia allegedly expose, though? That Hillary and her inner circle are not very good people? That the media carries her water? That the DNC wished the primary to be a coronation ceremony for Her Royal Highness? None of this was earth-shattering to anyone who was even passively paying attention.
    Right, isn't that exactly the issue? For all the time the media spent mentioning the e-mails, all the people that were coerced into thinking her e-mail flubs were a jailable offense that let loose national secrets... Tens of thousands of them got released and the only grand revelation that came out of them was that she won the nomination by being kind of a cunt to the opposition. So why did such a non-issue maintain such traction on the news and the electorate's tongues?

Meanwhile, Trump had the big obvious question mark of his tax returns hanging over his head (among plenty of other dirt that could be dug from his personal e-mails, I'm sure), hackers mysteriously left all that stuff alone. The targeting's rather overt.

6. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Is there something about libertarianism that makes you unable to recognize sarcasm?
    I recognized it. And I, in turn, employed sarcasm to show understanding and agreement with his point. If ARBM took it any other way, he is welcome to contact me and I will apologize.

Given that my every utterance in this forum seems to necessitate your immediate attention (and a subsequent comment equal parts venemous and unnecessary), I do hope this explanation is to your satisfaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

7. The U.S. has endorsed one side in foreign elections or interfered directly on many occasions. It would be hypocritical to go after Russia for doing the same.

8. One of the things that really bugs me about Trump is how he talks about dictators. It's bizarre stuff that means he's either a psycho, doesn't know what a dictator is or is crazy ignorant and just knows Putin/Kim Jong-un as "the president of over there." The way he described Jon-un sounded about as accurate as a 6 year olds understanding on a topic.

There's a weird sentament going around that sounds like simply trusting Russia on everything. Let them lead the way. It sounds sorta like, hey, let's ditch Saudia Arabia (who are obviously not saints) for a Russia/Assad partnership. Trump has said that he thinks Russia and Assad are going gang busters on ISIS and that he doesn't want to get in the way of Russia.

The basics of having our shit hacked by foreign entities should freak everyone the fuck out. Today it worked in the GOP's favor, but how long until the door swings the other way? What if a threat that's kept private of going public with stolen info is enough to pull strings over here?

This is super tinfoil hat of me but that report said Mitch McConnell pretty much shot down the notion of any Russia involvement right away. After all of this, Mitch is getting everything he wants and his wife just so happened to get a seat in the Trump cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    It would be hypocritical to go after Russia for doing the same.
    Isn't that America's modulos operandi? One could say we've at least been doing this to Russia since the mid 40s when we didn't honor our liberation agreements with Russia and instead gave more favorable new terms to the UK and France. Which eventually helped cause the Berlin Wall.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 10 Dec 2016 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy View Post
    What if a threat that's kept private of going public with stolen info is enough to pull strings over here
    Lousing privacy is a real bitch, isn't it?

I'm not sure why they wouldn't just come clean. Anyone with half a brain already knows who our politicians are. More of them are like ole Anthony Weiner than they want to admit. Many are hypocrites. Many of them do illegal drugs. Many of them do deals that influence their agenda. The demos aren't really that liberal, and the republicans aren't really that conservative. Few of them are that different from the spoiled children of the ultra rich.

I guess they wouldn't know what to do with themselves if they had to stop pretending to be an ideal that their constituency would want to vote for. ideally they would do their fucking jobs and let go of the circus that is modern politics, but I doubt any of them actually know how to progress.

On the bright side, maybe this will force them to take electronic privacy more serious. Everyone has been saying for years that all these forced back doors for our government would also be usable by foreign hackers, and here we are.

But I'm not hopeful given that our two options for president was a woman that only knew how to work 1 model of phone and a guy that doesn't know when to not hit submit on twitter.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 10 Dec 2016 at 07:58 PM.