Page 389 of 968 FirstFirst ... 375385387388389390391393403 ... LastLast
Results 3,881 to 3,890 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    These kids who were brought here illegally - why don't they just apply for citizenship?
    Lots of wait lists/quotas/hoops to jump through and slow action will prevent anything from happening for most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    Lots of wait lists/quotas/hoops to jump through and slow action will prevent anything from happening for most of them.
    Tough shit. Nothing makes them any more special than anyone who is going through the process the legal way. If anything, their parents' actions should put them at the back of the line, not the front.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Tough shit. Nothing makes them any more special than anyone who is going through the process the legal way. If anything, their parents' actions should put them at the back of the line, not the front.
    You're grumpy as hell this morning!

4. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Tough shit. Nothing makes them any more special than anyone who is going through the process the legal way.
    Yes, something does make them more special: it wasn't their choice. That's the whole point.

I have objections to the way DACA was codified too, but to put minors who had no say on the same legal stratum as the parents who made the decision for them flies in the face of how laws work. In what other context would we hold children and their parents equally accountable for a crime?

5. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Yes, something does make them more special: it wasn't their choice. That's the whole point.
    This circles back to:

Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    How the fuck is a 5 year old going to pass that test?
    Put your mind grapes to work.

What are the main reasons we are concerned about the concept of citizenship? What does the process of becoming a citizen entail?

What I'm trying to get at is: Disconnect your brain from "it's the law" for a moment and look at why it's the law. Think about that, then think about how the law could be better. Everything can be better than it currently is.

6. If only Obummer tried harder

7. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    What I'm trying to get at is: Disconnect your brain from "it's the law" for a moment and look at why it's the law.
    I used "this is the way every other law works" as a Yoshi-specific appeal because "this is the way human decency works" is not usually something that registers with the dino.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    These kids who were brought here illegally - why don't they just apply for citizenship? My grandparents got here and did it the right way, so why don't they?
    Because DACA is the only thing that allows them to do that and Trump is taking it away... That's literally the whole reason we're even having this discussion.

There's this naive assumption people seem to have that those coming here illegally are simply passing up some legal option because it's too much trouble. These people don't have a legal option, and Trump is looking to restrict immigration even further, making it all but impossible for the overwhelming majority to ever live here legally no matter what they do.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    There is no legal way, unless you're relatively affluent and educated. Particularly if you are a young person who came here as a child, it's not as if you can simply go home to a country you don't remember, whose language you don't speak, finish college, and get a job that pays $100,000 a year so you can apply to come back to the only country you've ever known. Some of these people were literally adopted as babies by Americans. If you deport someone like that back to Korea or whatever they'll just be homeless or die. It's insanely unreasonable to expect them to do that.

I feel like people are just being purposefully dense about this. If rule of law is important, then part of that is setting rules and standards that are reasonable. Our immigration rules are presently very unreasonable and that's created problems. There needs to be a legal alternative to illegal immigration and there simply isn't in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post

I have objections to the way DACA was codified too, but to put minors who had no say on the same legal stratum as the parents who made the decision for them flies in the face of how laws work. In what other context would we hold children and their parents equally accountable for a crime?
    If a guy robs a bank and plans to use the proceeds of his crime to pay for his kid's college, is that cool with you? Better still, I'd be shocked if you weren't in favor of ridiculous inheritance taxes. Should those kids be punished for their parent's success, and it is only crimes that can be passed along as-is to progeny?