Page 414 of 968 FirstFirst ... 400410412413414415416418428 ... LastLast
Results 4,131 to 4,140 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. The poster will be an image like this. It'll just have Impact Bold saying, "TRUMP," and at the bottom, in the faintest opacity, there will be a collection of things like American flags, Russian flags, Pepe, sat image of a hurricane...

Name:  canstock18015410.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  5.4 KB

2. Trump is love, Trump is life
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Trump was right not to go. Visits like that create logistical problems these areas don't need and help nobody. PR is having a hard enough time just getting supplies out of their ports and into the affected areas--forget having secret service vehicles rolling this ambulatory skin tag around for photo ops.

4. Ah man, those were a nice few days.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    White supremacy is identity politics, tho. Jus saying. Again, people kind of forget that. The two sides play off each other. "My identity politics is better/more correct than your identity politics." BLM exists because white supremacy exists, and vice versa.
    Yeah that was my point. All of these racial or sexual orientation groups organize, so you can almost predict disenfranchised whites doing exactly the same.

I don't think white people reverting to "being white" is a good idea. Just as I don't think black people identifying solely as "being black" is. It's probably ok for the cop stuff because it's a specific issue that needs reform.

Also re: Kill Trump. He was Democratically elected so fuck right off with that shit.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 02 Oct 2017 at 09:09 PM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Yeah that was my point. All of these racial or sexual orientation groups organize, so you can almost predict disenfranchised whites doing exactly the same.

I don't think white people reverting to "being white" is a good idea. Just as I don't think black people identifying solely as "being black" is. It's probably ok for the cop stuff because it's a specific issue that needs reform.
    That's kind of the whole thrust behind their organizing, though. Because they're being unduly targeted and punished worse by law enforcement, because they don't have equal marriage rights and allowances under law, because the media doesn't see them as "marketable" and gives them lesser roles or passes them over. These are all legitimate and well-founded gripes for them to speak out on.

White folks are organizing because they feel oppressed, but that's all it is. Feelings. A wave of white resentment being fed to them by a bunch of white agitators with a whole lot of nothing backing it up. We're still kings of the hill on every social issue by a far margin. We earn more, we get punished less often and less harshly, we're the de facto faces of a massive majority of everything we watch while every other group has to jump a gauntlet of hurdles to justify why the main character is this race or that. Our advantages might be getting slightly lessened as society gets more diverse, but... that's what a march towards equality is supposed to do. That's the whole point, that no one group has this big built-in advantage simply by virtue of their ethnicity or orientation.

As the saying goes, "when you're accustomed to privelege, equality feels like oppression". It's not wrong that white people's default status at the top of the great social totem pole is being chipped away at a bit, but y'know what? Good. It fucking well should be. People clawing back against that are doing so in defiance of the very concept of fairness, gnashing their teeth against the idea that one day, our peoples might have to legitimately compete on an even playing field instead of one tilted in our favor. Heavens forfend.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 02 Oct 2017 at 10:35 PM.

7. Yeah, it's sort of a cop out to say "Let's just ignore these issues entirely," because that really only helps people in the majority. Most of the racism that affects people's lives is not the over-the-top shit like Nazis, it's just the subconscious shit that makes a white person more likely to hire a white guy, all equal, more likely to be judgemental of a black stranger, and more likely to feel threatened by a black face than a white one.

But, of course, that's not something you can actually fix either, and I do think politics should be focused on policy. The point is not just to complain and be heard, it should be to get shit done.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Yup. It's not an invalid point that all these previously middle-class families are hurting. If you give people a reason to grouse, you can't be surprised when they come together under some kind of banner. White + middle America + no jobs is a winning formula. (Not for them, of course, they're still fucked.) It seems like the Democrats have already lost sight of that.

Also re: Kill Trump. He was Democratically elected so fuck right off with that shit.
    Also, FBI/CIA/whomever, please ... he's too entertaining alive. If you're going to act on NK or any other serious thing he doesn't realize has actual consequences, act by creating an app that makes him think he's tweeting but is really just sending everything to /dev/null.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    That's kind of the whole thrust behind their organizing, though. Because they're being unduly targeted and punished worse by law enforcement, because they don't have equal marriage rights and allowances under law, because the media doesn't see them as "marketable" and gives them lesser roles or passes them over. These are all legitimate and well-founded gripes for them to speak out on.

White folks are organizing because they feel oppressed, but that's all it is. Feelings. A wave of white resentment being fed to them by a bunch of white agitators with a whole lot of nothing backing it up. We're still kings of the hill on every social issue by a far margin. We earn more, we get punished less often and less harshly, we're the de facto faces of a massive majority of everything we watch while every other group has to jump a gauntlet of hurdles to justify why the main character is this race or that. Our advantages might be getting slightly lessened as society gets more diverse, but... that's what a march towards equality is supposed to do. That's the whole point, that no one group has this big built-in advantage simply by virtue of their ethnicity or orientation.

As the saying goes, "when you're accustomed to privelege, equality feels like oppression". It's not wrong that white people's default status at the top of the great social totem pole is being chipped away at a bit, but y'know what? Good. It fucking well should be. People clawing back against that are doing so in defiance of the very concept of fairness, gnashing their teeth against the idea that one day, our peoples might have to legitimately compete on an even playing field instead of one tilted in our favor. Heavens forfend.

You can say that white people are best or whatever you want as a group, but you can’t go to each individual and tell them they are special and not entitled to their feelings. This is what harbors a backlash.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

Well yes, the narrative and language of a lot of academic social progress shit is toxic. Lumping all men together is toxic. Lumping all whites together is toxic. Lumping all prejudice together is toxic.

You gain a lot more ground using common vernacular to just talk to people.

Like which do you think will get more traction? If I tell the old white lady that owns a hair care store that it would be good if she had nonwhites products too so the other 20% of the town can shop there? Or if I called her a racist out the gate?