Page 496 of 968 FirstFirst ... 482492494495496497498500510 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,960 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Oh, they all understand it. They just don't care and are lying to the public.
    Well depending on the people doing buybacks it could I guess. But that’s really hinging on individual preference or altruism.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Explain to me how, if roughly half the country is against this shit and if its as bad as people keep saying, enough of the other half wont retaliate and put these assholes out on their ears come next election?
    Joe Bob, Elliot, and Phineas can pontificate about guns, abortions, and bootstraps all they want; but the rubber meets the road when you start fucking with people’s money.
    If this is going to hurt everyone but the top 5% of the top 1% then what’s to keep it all from being repealled or overturned on the next round?
    I’m not convinced the ordinary citizen will see anything but some quick cash back come tax season and that’s probably good enough. A lot of the pontification about healthcare may not affect the average American through the rest of the term let alone year.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 20 Dec 2017 at 09:45 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude View Post
    Also, the tax savings from the bill look marginal anyway. A 2.7% decrease on taxes for one earning $40K-75K? Not impressive.
    This is spoken as if people who think a payment plan on a $900 phone is reasonable will somehow realize that whatever amount they get back is offset by other costs incurred.

Also, the offset counts as eliminating handouts. You know how liberals like to crow, "I'm okay with paying more so that the less fortunate can eat," or whatever? It's the same sort of signaling for conservatives, just, "I'm okay with paying more so that the less fortunate don't get handouts."

Anywa, I've got an appt coming up with my accountant once things are a little more clear because we are either getting that juicy $2k tax cut that Teflon promised OR owing $6k. A lot depends on how the stuff with SALT and the new house shake out.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I know you’re trolling but
    http://fortune.com/2017/10/31/att-co...ffer-wireless/

https://www08.wellsfargomedia.com/assets/pdf/commitment/progress-report.pdf

6. I’ve been trying to form a logical political manifesto. One thing, is to be truly free, you should be able to interact with society voluntarily. But you legally can’t squat on land. So, if you purchase land and live off it with no other interaction with society, what are you required to pay for? The police and military to protect your land from being invaded, right? So, what if we paid the military through a federal property tax? If you don’t own land, why should you pay for the military? You can always flee? So, I want to purchase a 40 acre plot and start a homestead. What would it cost?

The US has 2,260,419,200 acres of land.
    640,000,000 is federally owned. That leaves
    1,620,419,200 possible acres to be owned privately.

The US military budget for 2018 is $824,600,000,000.

If I bought 40 acres I would need to pay $20,355.22 in taxes. 1 acre would be $508.88. 100 acres would be $50,888.07.

Is that fair? That’s just the military. The local county sheriff would need to be paid as well.

From that point, if you start using the land to farm and sell (to pay the tax) you would be entering a social contact benefitting from a society’s shared labor and the networking and size of your customer base, so then you are obliged to pay a tax to pay for that benefit. This would logically be the sales tax. A federal and state sales tax. The fed to pay for social programs paid for by the fed and the state for the state. This should be a flat rate of whatever is needed to pay for the programs. This is just the rural land. Each city can do whatever the hell it wants.

So, my question is what argument is there for an income tax?

Income inequality? My solution for that is a “nutrition label” required to be printed on the door and front webpage of every business. A label the consumer can see # of employees, lowest paid employee (as a percentage of last year’s gross sales), highest paid employee (as a percentage of last year’s gross sales), mean & median salaries.

Then, the matter of Income inequality becomes one of changing culture and consuming from the fairest companies, then it’s a matter of democracy. As well, companies building from parts (basically everyone), would be required to provide the “labor labels” of all thier vendors, with a percentage of how much of gross sales go to each vendor.

Anyway, why does the military cost so goddamn much. 4/5th of a trillion a year. God damn.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 30 Dec 2017 at 03:40 PM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

They spend so much because they pretty much have a blank check (comparatively to any other enterprise) and they actually do things correctly, comparatively, during a depression.

They don't downsize when things are bad, they just spend the money.

The US military is kind of wonderful in that regard. They are always training their employees. They put a lot of work and resources into that training. As a member of the military you will be trained for the job below you and one or two jobs above you. Shifts are always covered. There is a surplus of labor.

That is not how american industry works. The first thing to be cut is training. Then the surplus labor. Eventually you end up with a skeleton crew that is under trained. If someone gets sick, people are put on 12s.

There is also something to be said for the cost of complexity. As the systems the military uses become more complex, the more expensive they will be to purchase and then run.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    So, my question is what argument is there for an income tax?
    You can’t tax unless there’s something to be taxed. Low-income people have proportionally less disposable income than high earners.
    And you can’t tax on land when rural land is near worthless, while the majority of wealth in generates my people in cities paying for 1000sqft rentals stacked on top of eachother.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

9. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    You can’t tax unless there’s something to be taxed. Low-income people have proportionally less disposable income than high earners.
    This is really a cultural issue. The government should require businesses to post their highest, lowest and average wages then consumers should consider that and buy from those businesses which more evenly distribute wages. The 1% will lose that wealth, the moment the bottom 50% stop willfully giving it to them.

Secondly, you can obtain and make yourself that which you need to live in the wild. Shopping at Walmart is not necessary.

And you can’t tax on land when rural land is near worthless,
    This is why the land would be taxed by acreage, not whatever value someone places on it.

The real question is can 100 acres yield $347,121.80 in profit to support the 20 people living and working off it* with $12,000 a year each and paying the $50,888 property/military tax and the 16.2% federal sales tax**.

* In this theory, let’s say we redistribute all the private land to all the people within it, that would mean each man woman and child would get 5 acres, or 20 per 100.
    ** with $824b going to the military, that would leave $3.3t in gov spending. Divide that by the $20.2t GDP and you get 16.2% which needs to be collected on every sale.

while the majority of wealth in generates my people in cities paying for 1000sqft rentals stacked on top of eachother.
    The cities are a different beast. By this theory, they would pay nothing to a fraction of the military cost, but would pay more of the rest considering the shear amount of labor sharing in a city generating a lot of spending. Still paying the flat 16.2% fed sales tax, just spending a lot more than the country folk. Cities themselves would still have additional property and sales tax to pay for their needs as we already have today.

This would remove the insane consumer spending culture we have and reduce the waste and the drain on scarce energy sources. And it would encourage labor via 0 income tax.

From this point, I would pass federally paid full education all the way to PhD (granted students pass an average each semester), full healthcare from 0 to 18 (or 27 if attending college full time and both require preventive care and check-ups were met 75% of the time each year).

Any adult assistance would be limited to six months - unemployment + healthcare + food allowance.

Every citizen with a Bachelor’s Education would receive a $10,000 grant and a $40,000 loan to start a business upon graduation and providing a business plan of what they intend to make or sale, what the competition is and how they predict to profit.

$824,600,000,000 Military budget
    1,620,419,200 private acres
    640,000,000 public acres

325,365,189 people
    4.98 acres per person

$4,094,000,000,000 Total federal spending
    $3,269,400,000,000 non military spending
    $20,237,0000,000,000 GDP

16.2% Fed Sales tax on all GDP
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

10. Humans make purchase decisions when a product or service adequately meets their need. Posting private info for them to make decisions is a silly idea.

So long as they aren’t breaking any labour rights as written and enforced by the country that’s enough. Rewrite labour laws if you want better labour laws.