Page 60 of 968 FirstFirst ... 465658596061626474 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. I'd argue "cuck" is a great insult, in part because it's such an ugly word and also because most people are not literally.

Pronouncing gif as "JIF" should be a hangable offense though.

2. Did the Tea Party do anything but gather around, wear hats, and not want to pay their taxes? Did they get McCain or Romney elected?

Did OWS do anything but gather around, sleep in the park, and want the 1% to pay more taxes? Did they get Bernie elected?

Did 4chan, 8chan, and r/the_donald create memes, a vocabulary, have the (((media))) debunk a conspiracy theory - #pizzagate, while defending their own conspiracy theory - #GoldenShowers, did they have the opposing political candidate write a goddamn dossier anout their most popular meme? When was the last time a political subculture larger than the alt-right or /pol/ or whatever you want to call it exist? Do you still think it had nothing to do with Trump getting elected?
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. But it's sorta like, so what? Spreading misinformation is easy. Sowing discord is easy. You say the Tea Party just wanted to not pay taxes, but at least they wanted something. These internet meme-folk are hoping some temporary recognition (within their own circles) and don't care about the ramifications. At best you could say they demonstrate how fragile some of our systems are and how unwilling many people are to think critically, but, who didn't know that already?

Their "work" seems about equivalent to that conspiracy theory loon Alex Jones. Hoping someone will care about what they've done or said even though no one should.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    It sounds like fuck and can be used like fag.

Its a pretty stupid insult. Like calling someone pompous, if they really are the thing, they don't care.
    You shouldn't shame someone for having a kink that doesn't hurt anyone else. If using "fag" is unacceptable even if you're not talking about anything gay, then "cuck" is equally forbidden. I mean, if we're gonna accept thoughtcrime as a new norm, let's go all in.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

5. Ron Paul lost. Get over it. Fascwave is here to stay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4023.PNG 
Views:	101 
Size:	463.7 KB 
ID:	79877

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4024.PNG 
Views:	75 
Size:	573.5 KB 
ID:	79878

Click for full size
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

6. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Did 4chan, 8chan, and r/the_donald create memes, a vocabulary, have the (((media))) debunk a conspiracy theory - #pizzagate, while defending their own conspiracy theory - #GoldenShowers, did they have the opposing political candidate write a goddamn dossier anout their most popular meme? When was the last time a political subculture larger than the alt-right or /pol/ or whatever you want to call it exist? Do you still think it had nothing to do with Trump getting elected?
    Nope. I consider it a convenient parallel. However, I'm willing to believe that some of the people in that circle picked up on the fact that SJWs were antagonizing people into voting for Trump and keeping silent about it, and correctly anticipating it would have an effect on the election. But you were the one who pointed out that Michael Moore video to me. I don't know if you watched the Van Jones "Messy Truth" series but it further backs the point up: People voted for Obama because he represented a change. That change didn't come. Donald is acknowledged as being shitty by his own voters, the people who made the difference in the key three, but Hillary is acknowledged as wanting to continue the non-change that Obama didn't deliver. (The most recent episode of the show Black-ish touched on this, btw.)

It was typical politics, dude. The blame rests solely on the Democrats for not coming up with an energizing response to Trump's message - shit, they could have said, "Obama did [x] but we can do better than that! Jobs! Etc!" but instead they were just like, "Keep on Obama'ing for another 4-8 years social liberalism who cares about money or jobs aw yeah!" Kudos to The Donald for picking up on that undercurrent of malaise, and for his subtle nods/jokes to the folks in whatever you want to call the group.

Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox View Post
    But it's sorta like, so what? Spreading misinformation is easy. Sowing discord is easy. You say the Tea Party just wanted to not pay taxes, but at least they wanted something. These internet meme-folk are hoping some temporary recognition (within their own circles) and don't care about the ramifications. At best you could say they demonstrate how fragile some of our systems are and how unwilling many people are to think critically, but, who didn't know that already?
    It's really just the same kind of naïveté that the Bernie Bros exhibited, they just happened to win. They think it's some kind of huge victory for the small folk but it's really just a moral victory. The Republicans outplayed everyone. To paraphrase Michael Moore, the Democrats and Republicans openly averred their dislike of Trump so the people who wanted to say, "Fuck you," to the people who fucked them over saw him as the only viable answer. Trump met with all of these Republicans who publicly disavowed him and somehow won them over? It was a play, folks. An excellently written play, penned by Republicans, and now they're going to get everything their awful hearts desire. The Republicans in power still don't have the best interests of the country in mind, and Trump isn't going to drain any swamps or change anything. (I would love to be wrong about this, btw, and actively hope I am.)

There are some very valuable things to take from election 2016, though: Recall my line about the SJWs antagonizing people into voting for Trump. A person I know posted something about having been in class and hearing a classmate express distaste for transgender rights. He explained that he was so upset by it that he had to leave the classroom. "I'm literally still shaking," he said. When I said, "Maybe it would have been better to talk to that person instead of isolating yourself from the opinion you don't like," I was told that was my white male privilege talking. (I've actually seen a meme similar to that scenario on one of those Facebook shitposting pages, which makes me wonder if he cried about it on Twitter or something.) Any further attempt by me to politely discuss the matter was dismissed with, "You're part of the problem." That's bullshit - it's the same idiocy exhibited by anti-vaxxers, flat earth morons, Mandela effect crazies, and similar. Shutting off and claiming that a person with a differing view just isn't enlightened enough isn't an answer. Especially when people like the friend in question are the ones without enough perspective.

I can kind of understand that response though. 25 to 55% of the country is just mean and wrong on every issue.

The climate change thing is a great example. Climate change hurts the south the worst. You can google a map for it. Billions and billions of property damage. All southern conservative states.

But it's now a poltical issue. The people with the most to lose have convinced themselves that we've always had 50 degree temp swings in January. That this many tornadoes and hurricanes is normal. And that the libtards are lying to them so they can force them to be gay and kill babies.

People are going to die every year because of that voter base and there isn't much that can be done.

So why not go cry in the hall? What conversation are you going to have with someone that thinks climate change is a conspiracy to force men to be gay?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    What conversation are you going to have with someone that thinks climate change is a conspiracy to force men to be gay?
    I would start by cutting back on the hyperbole.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

It's not hyperbole though. There are a lot of conservatives that beleive that all the demo talking points are A Evil or B conspiracies to get A.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    Nope. I consider it a convenient parallel. However, I'm willing to believe that some of the people in that circle picked up on the fact that SJWs were antagonizing people into voting for Trump and keeping silent about it, and correctly anticipating it would have an effect on the election. But you were the one who pointed out that Michael Moore video to me. I don't know if you watched the Van Jones "Messy Truth" series but it further backs the point up: People voted for Obama because he represented a change. That change didn't come. Donald is acknowledged as being shitty by his own voters, the people who made the difference in the key three, but Hillary is acknowledged as wanting to continue the non-change that Obama didn't deliver. (The most recent episode of the show Black-ish touched on this, btw.)

It was typical politics, dude. The blame rests solely on the Democrats for not coming up with an energizing response to Trump's message - shit, they could have said, "Obama did [x] but we can do better than that! Jobs! Etc!" but instead they were just like, "Keep on Obama'ing for another 4-8 years social liberalism who cares about money or jobs aw yeah!" Kudos to The Donald for picking up on that undercurrent of malaise, and for his subtle nods/jokes to the folks in whatever you want to call the group.

It's really just the same kind of naïveté that the Bernie Bros exhibited, they just happened to win. They think it's some kind of huge victory for the small folk but it's really just a moral victory. The Republicans outplayed everyone. To paraphrase Michael Moore, the Democrats and Republicans openly averred their dislike of Trump so the people who wanted to say, "Fuck you," to the people who fucked them over saw him as the only viable answer. Trump met with all of these Republicans who publicly disavowed him and somehow won them over? It was a play, folks. An excellently written play, penned by Republicans, and now they're going to get everything their awful hearts desire. The Republicans in power still don't have the best interests of the country in mind, and Trump isn't going to drain any swamps or change anything. (I would love to be wrong about this, btw, and actively hope I am.)

There are some very valuable things to take from election 2016, though: Recall my line about the SJWs antagonizing people into voting for Trump. A person I know posted something about having been in class and hearing a classmate express distaste for transgender rights. He explained that he was so upset by it that he had to leave the classroom. "I'm literally still shaking," he said. When I said, "Maybe it would have been better to talk to that person instead of isolating yourself from the opinion you don't like," I was told that was my white male privilege talking. (I've actually seen a meme similar to that scenario on one of those Facebook shitposting pages, which makes me wonder if he cried about it on Twitter or something.) Any further attempt by me to politely discuss the matter was dismissed with, "You're part of the problem." That's bullshit - it's the same idiocy exhibited by anti-vaxxers, flat earth morons, Mandela effect crazies, and similar. Shutting off and claiming that a person with a differing view just isn't enlightened enough isn't an answer. Especially when people like the friend in question are the ones without enough perspective.
    tl;dr

That was a satisfing post. Too bad your party isn't that rational.