Page 819 of 968 FirstFirst ... 805815817818819820821823833 ... LastLast
Results 8,181 to 8,190 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Irish and Africans. Christian's and jews. Same old shit. Big minority turns on the little minority to gain favor from the master.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I mean, Marx said the greatest enemy of the working class are those just comfortable enough to get by, who will never be the bourgeoisie but think of themselves as more or less on the same level. Basically the “temporary embarrassed millionaires” thing. So yeah, we won’t have any sort of class revolution until our toys get taken away.
    Why would you want a class revolution if your standard of living is so high? The floor has raised so much since the days Marx was around.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Einstein had trouble in high school because of circumstances. He didn't continue to look stupid the rest of his days.
    Einstein would have had a few MeToo fiascos if he were around today.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 20 Apr 2019 at 10:01 AM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Einstein would have had a few MeToo fiascos if he were around today.
    My grandfathers (both honorable men and war vets) would probably have had a few MeToo fiascos if they were around today. Not absolving anyone, but cultural norms were different back then...up to about 20 years ago.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Why would you want a class revolution if your standard of living is so high?
    Because it isn't high for some people, despite my personal efforts, and because it's too high for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Not absolving anyone, but cultural norms were different back then...up to about 20 years ago.
    Made me think of this quote:

“Social norms have not changed. We NEVER liked you touching us without our permission. So please stop convincing yourself that it’s a new world. It’s the same world, I just don’t have to lose a job for telling you to get your hands off me.”

Which I get, but also, didn't social norms change to allow for you to call jerks out without losing your job? Or is that me nitpicking the language and missing the bigger message?

5. I dont think you’re nitpicking.
    Wherher they liked it or not is the norm that changed. They being quiet about it is.
    Owning slaves was a social norm, didnt matter what the slaves thought of it.

I'm of the opinion that we just dont have anything better to worry about. Which in itself is probably good. It is a sign of progress.

100 years ago, everyone mostly had other shit to worry about. So they wrote off smaller things. Cutting a pig's nuts off or breaking a chicken's neck or your first two baby's dying in the womb probably made some guy at the grocery touching your butt seem trivial. And if it didn't, well the older women around you that had lived through far worse would try to convince you that it is.

Now, everyone has it pretty good. The worst off of us still have food and shelter. Some even have cars, and smart phones and home internet.

So being humans, and constantly looking for problems to both feel bad about and then solve, this is where we are at, making sure no woman feels discomfort at anytime.

Also it probably says something about how helpless we all feel in the face of the world's problems. Because there are bigger problems out there. But they are so big, and the culprits so powerful, no one bothers. We cant get the people causing global climate change fired, so we'll get Louis CK fired. Great. We can all feel like we made the world better while we slowly approach the fury road where all this social progress will be turned to ash and your daughters, wives and mothers will perpetually be worried about rape. But hey, we got a comedian fired. Small wins.

I'm being overtly pessimistic but dont take my comments as a defense of their behavior. The types that "grab them by the pussy" are also the types plunging us towards ruin. Fuck em.

I suppose I should rephrase that. We dont have anything local to worry about. We have a lot of global shit to worry about.

Do you mean “us” as in TNL, or as in America or something else?

Americans probably. The whole breaking chicken necks thing should have been a tip off I was talking in a very general sense.

You bring up an interesting point.

Deporting the homeless: A good idea or a great idea?