Page 869 of 906 FirstFirst ... 855865867868869870871873883 ... LastLast
Results 8,681 to 8,690 of 9052

Thread: The Trump Presidency

  1. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    It was always going to be nothing but bad options.
    I hope you're all ready for 4 more seasons of president fuckface.
    We've had President Fuckface in charge for at least my entire life. Why ever expect that to change?

  2. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    I'm not saying that Biden is some awesome dude everyone chose first, but he's the most popular candidate the party has in terms of actually receiving votes so far.
    He'll lose.

  3. Yeah but being enthusiastic about a candidate doesn't win elections, voting for them does. At the end of the day it doesn't matter why Biden got more votes, what matters is he did get more votes.

    Like I can't be more clear with my opinion on this, Bernie received fewer votes than Biden did and both he and the DNC would be right to guess that Biden is the stronger nominee based on how voters are turning out for him in larger numbers. Biden has won twice as many states as Sanders did. The whole point of the primary is to figure out who more people will vote for, not who people like the most.

    I'd also point out the Sanders won California which is a 100% lock for voting blue in 2020 no matter who has the nom but he got blown the fuck out in Florida which is going to need to be blue if Trump is going to lose.
    Last edited by Opaque; 08 Apr 2020 at 06:13 PM.


  4. There's plenty of maps and graphs that have been drawn up that show that Dem wins or losses are tied closely with the strength or weakness of minority turnout, and that Repubs would handily sweep everything if it were down to white folks alone.

    Biden inspired a big turnout among those demos. Bernie did not. That's important.

    Just handwaving away that his campaign totally flipped from 3rd and 4th place finishes to solid 1st place ones once votes started in non-lily-white states (that Trump is likely to win no matter who the Dem nom is) seems like a repeat of the Hillary campaign's myopic attitude, and implying those voters were idiots to vote for him is insulting and only going to help drive away the few reliable voting blocs the dems have.

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    We've had President Fuckface in charge for at least my entire life. Why ever expect that to change?
    All roads may lead to 4 years of President Fuckface A or President Fuckface B, but not all lead to a 7-2 Conservative Supreme Court for 20+ years and a total Conservative takeover of the lower courts. That's the real prize on the line here, the fallout if that happens is going to be a goddamn horrorshow for social issues in this country and it'll take a generation to undo, if we're lucky.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 08 Apr 2020 at 10:24 PM.

  5. #8685
    Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Yeah but being enthusiastic about a candidate doesn't win elections, voting for them does. At the end of the day it doesn't matter why Biden got more votes, what matters is he did get more votes.

    Like I can't be more clear with my opinion on this, Bernie received fewer votes than Biden did and both he and the DNC would be right to guess that Biden is the stronger nominee based on how voters are turning out for him in larger numbers. Biden has won twice as many states as Sanders did. The whole point of the primary is to figure out who more people will vote for, not who people like the most.

    I'd also point out the Sanders won California which is a 100% lock for voting blue in 2020 no matter who has the nom but he got blown the fuck out in Florida which is going to need to be blue if Trump is going to lose.
    1. I think Bernie voters had to go to work that day.
    2. We didn't complete the primaries. There were still many states to go that Bernie could win.
    3. Lets be honest, there aren't many people that were going to vote for Biden and not Bernie. But there are people that might just not show up for Bidien.

  6. #8686
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    There's plenty of maps and graphs that have been drawn up that show that Dem wins or losses are tied closely with the strength or weakness of minority turnout, and that Repubs would handily sweep everything if it were down to white folks alone.

    Biden inspired a big turnout among those demos. Bernie did not. That's important.

    Just handwaving away that his campaign totally flipped from 3rd and 4th place finishes to solid 1st place ones once votes started in non-lily-white states (that Trump is likely to win no matter who the Dem nom is) seems like a repeat of the Hillary campaign's myopic attitude, and implying those voters were idiots to vote for him is insulting and only going to help drive away the few reliable voting blocs the dems have.


    All roads may lead to 4 years of President Fuckface A or President Fuckface B, but not all lead to a 7-2 Conservative Supreme Court for 20+ years and a total Conservative takeover of the lower courts. That's the real prize on the line here, the fallout if that happens is going to be a goddamn horrorshow for social issues in this country and it'll take a generation to undo, if we're lucky.
    Does anyone on this forum believe that any minority is going to vote for trump? They're probably going blue no matter what after the past 4 years. Trump has discriminated against every minority in this country.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    There's plenty of maps and graphs that have been drawn up that show that Dem wins or losses are tied closely with the strength or weakness of minority turnout, and that Repubs would handily sweep everything if it were down to white folks alone.

    Biden inspired a big turnout among those demos. Bernie did not. That's important.

    Just handwaving away that his campaign totally flipped from 3rd and 4th place finishes to solid 1st place ones once votes started in non-lily-white states (that Trump is likely to win no matter who the Dem nom is) seems like a repeat of the Hillary campaign's myopic attitude, and implying those voters were idiots to vote for him is insulting and only going to help drive away the few reliable voting blocs the dems have.


    All roads may lead to 4 years of President Fuckface A or President Fuckface B, but not all lead to a 7-2 Conservative Supreme Court for 20+ years and a total Conservative takeover of the lower courts. That's the real prize on the line here, the fallout if that happens is going to be a goddamn horrorshow for social issues in this country and it'll take a generation to undo, if we're lucky.
    We've heard that shit before as justification for neoliberal warhawks with nobody but the banks and weapons makers interests in, and yet the benches they did have were quitlu handed to the conservatives without a fight. Meanwhile we're still getting this bullshit. We're done listening to y'all.

  8. And if you think Joe 'War on Drugs, Tough on Crime, BFFs with Strom fucking Thurmond' Biden is how you get the minority votes, well, I don't know what to tell you.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Does anyone on this forum believe that any minority is going to vote for trump? They're probably going blue no matter what after the past 4 years. Trump has discriminated against every minority in this country.
    Certain persuasions of Christian-practicing minorities are very likely to throw in with evangelical issues over racial ones, for one. Then you've got minorities in rural areas that basically have to play conservative to avoid being the nail that sticks out, then embrace the whole Stockholm Syndrome of it. I've worked with LOTS of Asian and Hispanic dudes over the years that fit one of those scenarios neatly.

    Plus I feel like I've seen dozens of news stories where a minority's family member got deported and the shocked Trump supporter interviewed said "well I didn't think he meant me!" And then the interview usually ends with some mind-boggling statement indicating they'd still support Trump going forward or at least still be leaning that way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel
    Meanwhile we're still getting this bullshit. We're done listening to y'all.
    I think Biden's a dip who flaked on his window of opportunity four years ago, so cool it with whatever neolib thinktank you think I'm advocating for. I totally understand the disappointment with him being the nom and I'm not trying to invalidate it.

    But I just don't get the approach of 'I don't like this guy so fuck everything, let's sink further into this conservative hellscape admin that actively disregards the very notion of facts and whose governance style falls squarely under hostile trolling.'

    Dems ain't great but at least there's some air of culpability lingering that keeps them in check. If any Dem antagonized half the country like Trump does they'd have been impeached a dozen times over.

    This air of "both sides are just as bad" just fucking kills me, especially with the unabating tire fire that's occupying the Oval Office currently. A little earlier in the thread we had a spate of this sentiment flying because the stimulus check deal was being held up for an extra day or two, but it was being held up because... one side was trying to get more benefits and funds to workers, and trying to lift arbitrary, spiteful disqualifiers the other was trying to institute on that aid. How is that the same? Maybe neither side is great, but the side that's emboldened literal nazis to step out of the shadows to cheer for them? Call me reductive but uh, pretty confident that one there is squarely the worse side.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 09 Apr 2020 at 05:58 AM.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    And if you think Joe 'War on Drugs, Tough on Crime, BFFs with Strom fucking Thurmond' Biden is how you get the minority votes, well, I don't know what to tell you.
    No one thinks that how you get any type of votes.

    At most people think he's the nominee who got more votes, and often got more votes in the states that Trump previously won in the 2016 election. Which he is. Those are real things that have merit and matter. We can all talk about hypotheticals where Bernie voters now feel disenfranchised now, but you don't give the nomination to the guy who gets significantly fewer votes just because you think his followers would only vote for him. That's ridiculous.

    Also, most of the States Biden lost to Sanders are almost guaranteed to be a democratic win regardless, so even if turnout in California is down it won't matter. Kind of like how Hillary won the popular vote but lost the election, it matters where you win and get more votes. Meanwhile the states that are really in contention for the general election were almost unanimously won by Biden.
    Last edited by Opaque; 09 Apr 2020 at 10:03 AM.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Games.com logo