Page 488 of 968 FirstFirst ... 474484486487488489490492502 ... LastLast
Results 4,871 to 4,880 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. This is my last post about this, I promise.

This is not about last words or owning; it's about the tiny chance that that internet strangers might better understand this thing and will be less scared around queer people--that it's not a matter of the law being or not being enforced that determines whether misgendering someone is punished; it's about whether the misgendering is repeated (so not the first time you make a mistake) and intended to provoke (so not the first time you make a mistake), which is exactly what the link Andrew posted says.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    I can't read that but I'm guessing it says if you're harassing someone by misgendering them, then yeah. Nobody ever disagreed with that.

If you're adamantly refusing to call people what they'd like to be called, then that's on you. If you flub, nobody will be mad.
    I can read it now and that is in fact what it says, which is what Frog and I said the entire time:

a. Intentional or repeated refusal to use an individual’s preferred name, pronoun or title. For example, repeatedly calling a transgender woman “him” or “Mr.” after she has made clear which pronouns and title she uses …
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    No, you were stating that it's not enforced so it shouldn't be an issue.
    Rewiiiiinndd noooooise reeewinnd noiiiise rewindnoiserwndnose

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    All the bill you're talking about does is revise a 1990s anti-discrimination law to add the words "gender identity and expression" to the list of stuff against which you can't discriminate someone right alongside "colour, race, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, sexual orientation." To say it sends people to jail for calling a "they" a "she" is exactly the same as saying it sends people to jail for calling a Robert "Rob" when he prefers "Bob." Here's the bill.

Stop with this Info Wars-ass shit. Unless you're intentionally misgendering someone to needle them like Frog said, you're fine.
    It was never about "the law won't be enforced so it doesn't matter." It was about the law protecting trans and non-binary people from targeted harassment as it does everyone else. Frog's "boy" example is perfect. The Alex Jones version of the law is "I'll go to jail if I use the word 'boy.' My free speech is ruined." The reality is only people using "boy" to harass and refuse to stop, exactly the law's language. will be punished. And they should.

2. Yes — because things not to call people is by nature exception, not compelled. It is literally the difference between don’t litter and you have to pick up all litter you see. A pronoun is not a derogatory term. And telling people there are non-binary pronouns they have to use isn’t right. It’s pushing a worldview and idea on others without social exchange. That’s wrong, whether it was accidental or intentional.

I’m positively fine with writing non-discriminatory laws such as not denying applicants jobs or opportunities (like denying a trans person an apartment) based on their gender, race, or even political ideology. Money should be treated as a neutral exchange in an open free market. That benefits us all.

Maybe it was Frog. bbobb definitely said it. I’m lumping you all together for simplicity’s sake which is probably not fair.

I didn’t want to go down this rabbit hole in the first place. The original point was it seems odd to orient an entire party around this. Though I guess pointing to New York you could argue government is already going too far. But New York is a pretty controlled state as is. Diff complains about that a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure some kind of rocket ship insurance exists.
    No doubt. There was a pretty funny passive aggressive tweet exchange between Zuck and Musk about it.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 16 Dec 2017 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    People would riot if their ISPs blocked popular social media platforms, streaming services, or gaming platforms. As long as those things are onboard, the ISPs would be powerless.
    Maybe, but they'll roll over just fine for an additional monthly charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    A pronoun is not a derogatory term.
    Whatever you say, my little bitch.

If someone kept calling you Susan and refused to call you by your name even though they knew what it was would you be bummed? Is that close enough to the same thing? I accidentally took the wrong CDB pills this morning.

6. I'm on the outside, but I think there are worse things to be called aside from He or She.
    I also think there are other injustices that maybe are a bit more important that one could put his or her efforts into aside from the narcissistic cause of pronoun use.
    Demanding you address me in a particular way is a very insular cause. No one else is helped if I win the world over to addressing me as XIOl574d.

7. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    People would riot if their ISPs blocked popular social media platforms, streaming services, or gaming platforms. As long as those things are onboard, the ISPs would be powerless.
    I don't doubt this. Not at all.
    Imagine if most ISPs started pulling the same shit that goes on in Portugal. What if one of the ISPs decided to rebel against this to take a direct shot at the competition, saying "We won't gouge you for Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest, NetFlix, Steam/Origin etc. like the others are doing now"? Some of their rivals could lose customers to them and be forced to follow suit. Competition is a great thing.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    If someone kept calling you Susan and refused to call you by your name even though they knew what it was would you be bummed? Is that close enough to the same thing? I accidentally took the wrong CDB pills this morning.
    It isn’t. But sure. I would even say he/she trans seems fine too.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 16 Dec 2017 at 09:42 PM.

9. Is there a way to mute updates to just one thread?

10. Is there an example of someone breaking this law anywhere
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 16 Dec 2017 at 06:30 PM.