Page 76 of 968 FirstFirst ... 627274757677788090 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. The problem is that as soon as it's published he's gone and then we are stuck with Pence.

2. I can't see it having much of an effect one way or another. He can't be impeached for gaming a broken system.

3. Under Pence, we wouldn't have to worry about our president tweeting us into a war. He's at least consistent in the dumb things he believes. We'd know what we were getting.

I don't think Pence would instruct his staff to blatantly lie to or threaten the press, either.

4. We'd be able to predict Pence a little more easily.

Hey, maybe that was his plan all along!

to be the fly on the shit pile?

6. Trump is so much better than Pence.

7. Nah.

Trump is a pass-through for the ambitions and ideology of his lackeys, Pence chief among them. Do you think Trump knew who the fuck Betsy DeVos was? No, that was fed to him by the people propping him up i.e., Pence. So with Trump, we get Pence's policy + wild, terrifying unpredictability, an uncontrollable impulse to respond to and take vengeance on his critics, and intent to end the free press as we know it.

On the other hand, with Pence we just get Pence's policy. He's the thing we already have minus the terrifying unpredictability and insecurity. It's a shit policy, but it's one we're stuck with. The question is what else we're going to stick ourselves with. That's where Pence emerges as the better option.

The ACA is gone either way. PP is gone. Net neutrality is gone. The EPA is gone. But with Pence we don't have to worry about waking up to a nuclear war our president started with a tweet in response to criticism from a foreign official. I'll take it.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 22 Jan 2017 at 06:50 PM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Nah.

Trump is a pass-through for the ambitions and ideology of his lackeys, Pence chief among them. Do you think Trump knew who the fuck Betsy DeVos was? No, that was fed to him by the people propping him up i.e., Pence. So with Trump, we get Pence's policy + wild, terrifying unpredictability, an uncontrollable impulse to respond to and take vengeance on his critics, and intent to end the free press as we know it.
    Everyone who has the power to appoint lots of people end up doing it, in large part, based on who their backers want. With a guy like Obama, yea he has his priorities so I am sure there were some people he really wanted, but with others, it's like, "oh yea a friend of a friend said Larry Summers is a swell guy."

9. Absolutely; no disagreement there. What I'm arguing is 1. what Trump's backers want extends beyond appointments and into Trump's policy in a way it hasn't with previous presidents because he hasn't ever had to do policy before and has no idea what the fuck is going on and 2. this extension shrinks the policy gap between Trump and Pence to the point where the only thing distinguishing a Trump presidency from a Pence presidency is an unpredictability and insecurity that will have far worse consequences than any of Pence's traits.

Tldr: I'd rather Pence govern with Pence ideas than Trump govern with Pence ideas.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 22 Jan 2017 at 07:26 PM.

10. I don't buy that rationale since he's already stood up to and killed a motion that was popular with the party (ethics committee neutering). He also told the evangelists the gay marriage thing was standing—the Supreme Court ruled. Trump is dangerous for some of the reasons you stated but I don't think it's at all a foregone conclusion he's just a dangerous shill.

It's just more "X is the devil" rhetoric every standing GOP president gets labelled with.