Page 919 of 968 FirstFirst ... 905915917918919920921923933 ... LastLast
Results 9,181 to 9,190 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. At least it will help dispel the "bad apple" myth cops are always leaning on. When the default response is to double down on being assholes, it's hard to deny that this shit is engrained in the culture.

It's a very primal us vs them mentality and the them is everyone else.

This by default makes all the other cops bad because they will not betray the bad cops.

3. Quote Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
    Shutting down all 50 states can certainly cause that. And, of course, the impoverished are the ones that are suffering the most.
    Right, and the latter point kind of exposes the lie that Trump has done anything to address the particular concerns of the black community, despite claiming, this week, that he has done more for them than any president since Lincoln.

Fair assessment?
    Quote Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
    Yeah, this move is quite the head scratcher.
    It isn't. This is cops showing you who they are. Just listen.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 06 Jun 2020 at 09:27 AM.

Yeah, this move is quite the head scratcher. I mean, I think they meant to shove the guy out of the way and it went sideways. Then, he's clearly bleeding on the ground and they continue to move past him and one guy pauses, looks at him, and keeps on going. It's not okay and the optics of this, given what's going on, is beyond terrible.
    Oh, well, they just meant to shove him. Something we all do. Shoving the elderly. Very virtuous. My favorite part of the new testament infact. When jesus commanded his followers to start a mosh pit and shove the shit out of each other.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    It's a very primal us vs them mentality and the them is everyone else.

This by default makes all the other cops bad because they will not betray the bad cops.
    Correct. Cops are more or less trained to act like an occupying force. Just as soldiers in Iraq aren't there to target civilians, but they do see every civilian as a potential enemy and depersonalize from them as a result. Brutality is the inevitable consequence. This is doubly true for SWAT and riot cops that don't really personally interact with people or do anything that might traditionally be considered policework. They're soldiers. That's the problem.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Right, and the latter point kind of exposes the lie that Trump has done anything to address the particular concerns of the black community, despite claiming, this week, that he has done more for them than any president since Lincoln.
    I was specifically talking about covid 19 and the impact it has had on jobs - I think more blue collar, service, & restaurant jobs lost impact lower income communities the hardest. As far as Trump comparing himself to Lincoln, well, he's an idiot.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Oh, well, they just meant to shove him. Something we all do. Shoving the elderly. Very virtuous. My favorite part of the new testament infact. When jesus commanded his followers to start a mosh pit and shove the shit out of each other.

I'm not sure where I said that shoving was virtuous or biblically correct. I think they meant to move the guy out of the way with unintended consequences. They deliberately lied about the incident ("tripped") and fifty something other officer resigning in a move supporting this conduct is exactly what's wrong with the police. Own it. You pushed an old guy, he fell and got injured, and you're a douche and should face a criminal charge.

I'm not sure where I said that shoving was virtuous or biblically correct. I think they meant to move the guy out of the way with unintended consequences. They deliberately lied about the incident ("tripped") and fifty something other officer resigning in a move supporting this conduct is exactly what's wrong with the police. Own it. You pushed an old guy, he fell and got injured, and you're a douche and should face a criminal charge.
    saying they shoved him is downplaying it. If you shoved a cop, it would be called assault. They assaulted an old man.

And they didn't really resign. They resigned from the task they were doing that week. They all still have police jobs.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    saying they shoved him is downplaying it. If you shoved a cop, it would be called assault. They assaulted an old man.

And they didn't really resign. They resigned from the task they were doing that week. They all still have police jobs.
    shove
    /SHəv/
    Learn to pronounce
    verb
    verb: shove; 3rd person present: shoves; past tense: shoved; past participle: shoved; gerund or present participle: shoving
    push (someone or something) roughly.

I think I described it accurately. Thanks.

10. Quote Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
    shove
    /SHəv/
    Learn to pronounce
    verb
    verb: shove; 3rd person present: shoves; past tense: shoved; past participle: shoved; gerund or present participle: shoving
    push (someone or something) roughly.

I think I described it accurately. Thanks.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL