Page 634 of 968 FirstFirst ... 620630632633634635636638648 ... LastLast
Results 6,331 to 6,340 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    The more I hear people say the 1%, the more I question the idea that anyone even knows what that is. Like, we can name every Kardashian, every dumb bit actor in Robocop, but most of the 1% we can't name. I don't doubt the existence of wealth inequality obviously but I was always a little ??? about this shadow group we've created as a society.
    It’s not as simple as the 1% of income earners or wealth. It’s also the whims of the mass of majority stock holders and the ignorance of the power the 99% hold over the 1%. The 99% can cut the power off at any moment by not buying whatever bullshit they’re being sold. But, the advertising is too good.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. No, no, I know that lol. It's just a funny argument that people use instead of saying "structural issues." Like, it demonizes this shadowy group of individuals rather than saying "yup, america was built on a foundation of inequality"
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

3. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    It's funny how this ties in with the Boogie2088 interview I just watched. He argued that both he and Sarkeesian want the same end result, except she's all in your face and doing exactly what Yellerdog described whereas he takes the boiled frog approach. Introduce change slowly so that you don't get the crazy reactionaries causing harm to those who aren't yet woke enough to accept change.

It's really the same as the USA's fight for Independence and Canada's slower and less violent political maneuvering for independence.
    exactly! I don't know if there's a right answer tbh. I mean, some are going to want to rise up and seize the means of production, and some are gonna slowly take it down from the inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

4. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Everything is tied to class. That's the dark nature of capitalism.
    And communism. </animalfarm>
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

6. Can’t stop watching this Trump train wreck.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Heard about that. Fucking sick.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    It's funny how this ties in with the Boogie2088 interview I just watched. He argued that both he and Sarkeesian want the same end result, except she's all in your face and doing exactly what Yellerdog described whereas he takes the boiled frog approach. Introduce change slowly so that you don't get the crazy reactionaries causing harm to those who aren't yet woke enough to accept change.
    But... the main cause of his little tiff with Anita was him putting a yardstick to the amount of hate that gets sent his way. "Be more moderate so you don't get a lot of hate, oh by the way I also get tons of hate?"

And if you think the crazy reactionaries threatening harm and shouting people down are lined up mostly on Anita's side, woooooooof. Searching her name is a portal to a pocket dimension of videos of angry fedoras waging a Nerd Jihad against her for daring to mildly criticize their vidyagames, to say nothing of comments sections.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Is it better for some people to die in the short term to reach a goal or for some's suffering to slowly angle down, yet they still get to live, while society inches towards the goal.
    Your statement presupposes that society is a benevolent entity that naturally inches toward what's right on its own if its left to its own devices. Nah. No one crosses the goal line without fighting for the yardage. There was staunch resistance to not using child labor, there was staunch resistance to everybody using the same water fountains, there was staunch resistance to not sending an unending stream of peoples' kids into a meat grinder. Those injustices only stopped because people were willing to put their lives on the line against them. If they tried to outwait them, we'd still be waiting.

It's never "good" for people to die, but any significant changes to status quo, even status quos that were clearly indefensible in hindsight, required protracted conflict to happen. Every bit of progress we enjoy today, someone along the line had to fight tooth and nail to get.

9. I didn't mean it to come across that I felt the crazies were on her side if that's how it came across. It's the action, not the message.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Heard about that. Fucking sick.
    Real shame. It's a serious insult to the victims to have that guy scribbling his liar's polygraph looking sig on their picture.

Sarah Sanders got kicked out of a restaurant. I'm betting it has more to do with her attitude than just her working for Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Sanders
    I always do my best to treat people, including those I disagree with, respectfully and will continue to do so
    I'm sure you do, Sarah. It seems your best isn't really that good!