Page 515 of 968 FirstFirst ... 501511513514515516517519529 ... LastLast
Results 5,141 to 5,150 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    So instead of looking at the economic situations of African nations versus that of Norway, you saw it as a racial issue?
    Yes.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

3. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    I'll play along.
    Stop it.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

4. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    Yes.
    Okay, let's go with that then. I'm willing to concede the impossible--knowing a man's heart.

Forgetting about any other factors (economics, terror recruitment, etc.), let's assume that President Trump's comments are informed by racism. I still have yet to see a "racist policy" come to fruition since he took office.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

5. You should have your eyes checked then Magoo.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

6. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Stop it.
    You were right.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Okay, let's go with that then. I'm willing to concede the impossible--knowing a man's heart.

Forgetting about any other factors (economics, terror recruitment, etc.), let's assume that President Trump's comments are informed by racism. I still have yet to see a "racist policy" come to fruition since he took office.
    Let's assume that President Trump is a crazy person.

I have yet to see a "crazy" policy come to fruition since he took office.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

7. Norway has more potential terrorists than Haiti.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Why would anyone move out of Norway? Especially to this shithole country.
    Sunlight and dangerously overwhelming freedom.

Usually I try to play the other side with Trump here (too much lefty idealist back patting) but the sentiment of his statements are beyond racist and faring in to dehumanized evil territory imo. The shithole phraseology was the only actual redeeming quality of that thought (so insensitive it’s jarringly funny)
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 12 Jan 2018 at 07:26 PM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    So instead of looking at the economic situations of African nations versus that of Norway, you saw it as a racial issue?
    My god. Denser than a dying star.

Go back to what Frog first wrote. The row here isn't that he made the observation that these countries are in the gutter. It's that, contextually, he stated that it was disagreeable that people from 'bad' countries were coming here, and then lamented that people from 'good' countries weren't. You think it's entirely coincidental that the bad example is largely brown people and the good example is largely white as the driven snow?

This "oh you just want him to be politically correct" stuff is goddamn horse puckey. If he was equally as blunt with all parties, with openly racist white folks as he was with their counterpoints, maybe there'd be a case there, but that's clearly not how it is. He has no problem embracing political correctness, 'waiting for all the facts to come in,' and gingerly eking out the most tepid of condemnations at metaphorical political gunpoint when David Duke endorses him or a bunch of white nationalists march through a town in his honor. But when minorities annoy him or... exist, oh ho ho, look at him go, you might not like what he says but you can't put a filter on this man!

No. He has a filter, and it's very clear who he employs it for and who he doesn't.

He probably is a racist, but I'm not sure this is so much an malicious statement as it is ignorant.

*this* is kind of how ceo types really see immigration. They don't give a shit about poor people coming to better themselves. They want to get skilled labor for less. That is all they're thinking about. "How do I get programmers for less than $35,000 a year?"

The racism comes in, in that he is assuming that a place like Haiti never ever produces skilled labor.

But a bigger issue is that he doesn't understand that our current citizenship system is already set up to reward citizenship to the best skilled laborers from around the world. We're already taking the cream.