Page 536 of 968 FirstFirst ... 522532534535536537538540550 ... LastLast
Results 5,351 to 5,360 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post

Ha the article literally says being white isn’t a good look in 2018. The homage to Prince was too much I guess.
    No, it doesn't. And it liked the Prince homage.

You keep doing the thing where you just fit everything you read into what you've already determined it must be saying beforehand. You keep doing the thing the lady in that dumb interview I wish I could Eternal Sunshine out of my brain did.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    Jesus Christ. Justin’s a straight white male, and should make a country album? Thanks NPR.
    Yeah, that doesn't make sense. Country is 100% gay.

3. One of the kids in class said “The Justin Timberlake performance wasn’t very lit.” Other younger people that talked about it seem to be kinda bored by him overall. I think it’s probably mostly to do with the fact that pulling pop stars back into the spotlight that were mega successes 10+ years ago doesn’t have the appeal it once did.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

He hasn't been out of the limelight long enough for nostalgia to kick in, and it doesn't seem like his new record is a hit.

5. Were your classmates alive when Backstreet Boys was a thing?

Edit: *Nsync
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. Yeller - I don’t think most of them would have been old enough to like either of those bands at all!!! I mean those are nostalgic for me and I’m 10+ years on everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

7. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    No, it doesn't. And it liked the Prince homage.

You keep doing the thing where you just fit everything you read into what you've already determined it must be saying beforehand. You keep doing the thing the lady in that dumb interview I wish I could Eternal Sunshine out of my brain did.
    I'm curious how you interpret that statement in the article. "Timberlake now embodies that phrase so often spoken today: white male privilege. It's just not a good look for 2018." Their definition of "white male privilege" in the sentence before was "his ability to be easy, to create music that seduces us with references to the past, with appropriations, with artful mixes, and never quite shows any struggle." Sorry bro, your music isn't enjoyable because your whiteness makes it too safe.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

8. "But we are living in a moment of struggle, and we want our pop music to also reflect that struggle."

Nothing in the article or the part you quoted suggests what Timberlake should and shouldn't do. Nothing blames him (or you; calm down) for being white. It's about where pop music is now Timberlake's aesthetic of white dude making smooth, nostalgic songs that are a little pushy about sex and/or "wheeeee let's dance dance dance everything is great" seeming distanced from it.

Awful lot of people taking a totally benign, trite argument like "The part where Timberlake does the song where he exposed a black woman's tit, maybe ending her career, at the same venue with no acknowledgment of that black woman seems a little out of touch in 2018" as an assault on white men in here.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 06 Feb 2018 at 12:26 PM.

9. As I stated on Twitter, no one playing the half time show has ever been in my wheelhouse of what I like to listen to, so it's not like I didn't like the show because of who was putting it on. But that was one of the lamest shows I can recall seeing. He looked like a dork. Someone said, "We can't let Justin Timberlake dressing like a PUBG character slide y'all" and I fell out of my chair.
    It was 90% lip synced, the dancing was stupid, and the spectacle non-existent. I thought the Prince part was extremely lame.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    I'm curious how you interpret that statement in the article. "Timberlake now embodies that phrase so often spoken today: white male privilege. It's just not a good look for 2018." Their definition of "white male privilege" in the sentence before was "his ability to be easy, to create music that seduces us with references to the past, with appropriations, with artful mixes, and never quite shows any struggle." Sorry bro, your music isn't enjoyable because your whiteness makes it too safe.
    That part ties back to the mention of his previous halftime performance with Janet Jackson. The person that had the wardrobe malfunction gets thrown under the bus, the person that caused the wardrobe malfunction gets invited back. Performs the same song without so much as a nod to the person who's probably still getting death threats over the thing.

Seems a touch double-standardy, no?