Page 882 of 968 FirstFirst ... 868878880881882883884886896 ... LastLast
Results 8,811 to 8,820 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. I get the whole "I'm not gonna vote for Biden" thing, you don't like him, your state probably isn't going to flip whether or not you vote for him, cool, don't vote for him. Write in whoever you like.

The bit that sours me is that the people that intimate that stance often say (or at least give a strong implication) that they're gonna stay home and not vote at all. Now personally, I've never voted in a presidential election that didn't also have a dozen-some other local races and measures on the ballot, and I don't think that's something unique to my region. Voting your conscience on Biden doesn't really win you any brownie points if you're not voting your conscience on anything else. You're just trying to pin a medal on your apathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    Additionally, Trump is horrible, terrible, and I will never support him. But by what measure is he the worst? By what measure is he worse than G. W. Bush, for example? Or even Reagan? Other than worse PR, I mean?
    It's the naked antagonism. The president is supposed to be a representative of the nation, not the president of *just the people who voted for him*, and Trump takes a big fat dump all over that notion nonstop. Other presidents might have worked shadow ops to undermine large swaths of the population, but Jesus fuck at least they sometimes tried to act like they were listening to opposing viewpoints and making some kind of play to the people on the other side of issues. They seemed to consider the insights and recommendations of experts that knew more than them. Trump just makes a jerk-off motion to anything not in lock-step with him, feeds a steady diet of scapegoats to his undercarriage, and bloviates about how he actually knows better than anyone about anything when he demonstrably doesn't know shit about shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Beyond tired of hearing/seeing the status quo get propped up by a bunch of fucking white collar family men. It's been shameful, depressing and straight up sad to watch my peers turn into those corny mother fuckers over the years.
    I feel the same way about how the former rebel crowd has dug themselves into a nice little rut of nihilistic inactivity. This administration has given an endless buffet of ammunition to get mad about and turn back at 'em, and I look around at the sorts of people that should have some fire in their belly and be raging against the machine and they just largely seem to be in a sedative 'everyone sucks so why bother caring' shrug over it.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Beyond tired of hearing/seeing the status quo get propped up by a bunch of fucking white collar family men. It's been shameful, depressing and straight up sad to watch my peers turn into those corny mother fuckers over the years.
    I'll tell you, it's been shameful, depressing and straight up sad to watch someone I used to think was open minded turn into whatever this is you are now. If you were this indifferent towards someone because you are a rock and roll heterosexual and they're gay, I'd be embarrassed to even know you. If you were this indifferent towards someone because you were a rock and roll father of three and they didn't want kids I'd be embarrassed to know you. If you were this way for any reason, where others having a different choice of family life made you not even want to identify with them, I'd be embarrassed to know you.

Bummer really. You should take a look in the mirror man, is this the person you want to be? Someone who doesn't want to find common ground with other people just because of singular differences of how they live their personal life?

If so, the fuck are you even doing here man? What's the point?
    Last edited by Opaque; 01 May 2020 at 07:02 PM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Part of growing up is learning how you can actually make a difference and what is just masturbation.

Writing in Bernie might make you feel rock and roll, but it's an empty gesture that does nothing. I'd rather the system be different, I'd rather a lot of thing be different, but all you can ever do in life is make the next best decision. Complaining about how that decision isn't ideal does nothing of value for anything other than your own ego.

That's not propping up the status quo or supporting it, it's doing the best you can with the options that are actually there.
    That is the very definition of supporting the status quo. And that attitude long term is the only thing that has enabled it. Kedawa is correct that third parties terrify the Republicrats. They have a vested interest in maintaining that line.

Real change isnt something you can get by showing up and voting for the 'lesser of two (that are really the same)' every four years, any more than "buying green" solves the environmental crisis. It takes long years and losing. If we had ignored all the cries of "A vote for him is a vote for Bush, think of the Supreme Court seats!" and voted our consiensces 20 years ago, Nader wouldn't have been president, Bush still would have been, BUT we probably would have other viable options 4 years ago and even more likely would have been able to elect Sanders, Yang, or Gabbard now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    I get the whole "I'm not gonna vote for Biden" thing, you don't like him, your state probably isn't going to flip whether or not you vote for him, cool, don't vote for him. Write in whoever you like.

The bit that sours me is that the people that intimate that stance often say (or at least give a strong implication) that they're gonna stay home and not vote at all. Now personally, I've never voted in a presidential election that didn't also have a dozen-some other local races and measures on the ballot, and I don't think that's something unique to my region. Voting your conscience on Biden doesn't really win you any brownie points if you're not voting your conscience on anything else. You're just trying to pin a medal on your apathy.
    Nobody's said that. I'm still voting. Just not for Biden or Trump.

It's the naked antagonism. The president is supposed to be a representative of the nation, not the president of *just the people who voted for him*, and Trump takes a big fat dump all over that notion nonstop. Other presidents might have worked shadow ops to undermine large swaths of the population, but Jesus fuck at least they sometimes tried to act like they were listening to opposing viewpoints and making some kind of play to the people on the other side of issues. They seemed to consider the insights and recommendations of experts that knew more than them. Trump just makes a jerk-off motion to anything not in lock-step with him, feeds a steady diet of scapegoats to his undercarriage, and bloviates about how he actually knows better than anyone about anything when he demonstrably doesn't know shit about shit.
    So, being uncouth and not pretending to pander?

I feel the same way about how the former rebel crowd has dug themselves into a nice little rut of nihilistic inactivity. This administration has given an endless buffet of ammunition to get mad about and turn back at 'em, and I look around at the sorts of people that should have some fire in their belly and be raging against the machine and they just largely seem to be in a sedative 'everyone sucks so why bother caring' shrug over it.
    No, it's just that "the machine" includes your team.
    Last edited by Vasteel; 01 May 2020 at 08:03 PM.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

4. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    Real change isnt something you can get by showing up and voting for the 'lesser of two (that are really the same)' every four years, any more than "buying green" solves the environmental crisis. It takes long years and losing. If we had ignored all the cries of "A vote for him is a vote for Bush, think of the Supreme Court seats!" and voted our consiensces 20 years ago, Nader wouldn't have been president, Bush still would have been, BUT we probably would have other viable options 4 years ago and even more likely would have been able to elect Sanders, Yang, or Gabbard now.
    Again, Bernie is an independent, he had two golden opportunities to establish a stronger presence for a third-party option and a way better chance of actually busting out and winning against the given field than Nader or Perot ever had. Be mad at the Dems for shutting him out all you like, but there's a lot of frustration to lay on his doorstep for his just trying to work himself into the two-party system instead of making the major inroads he could've towards a viable third option.

Nobody's said that. I'm still voting. Just not for Biden or Trump.
    Good to hear.

So, being uncouth and not pretending to pander?
    Being an absolute fucking retard with unrestrained confidence that he knows better than everyone is the main ingredient of the Trump cocktail, but sure let's just gloss over that part.

No other modern president would just amble up and unilaterally impose things like streams of tariffs that carry a wide-ranging economical fallout and have practically no support from anyone, as one example. There's 'not pretending to pander' and there's 'waving your dick at anything resembling a democratic process,' there's 'being uncouth' and there's 'pissing on people and telling them it's rain,' and Trump falls squarely in the latter camp on both counts.

No, it's just that "the machine" includes your team.
    Then rage over that in equal measure when it needs to be. But this air of above-it-all indifference to the whole thing just reads as resigned acquiescence. Telling people to stop caring because everything's equally bad is a) lazy critique and b) the polar opposite of rebellion.

5. Did Josh and Opaque get personal in this thread? I don't feel like catching up.

Here's some Biden to wet your appetites.

And who says the left can’t meme?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5FD39FB9-9E65-476F-94B9-3EEE26CF47E9.gif 
Views:	256 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	81751  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 02 May 2020 at 01:26 AM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

6. "I'm gonna smell me that little asian girl's hair."

7. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    You're the aforementioned corny ass family man. You chose that life. You can sleep at night, and look at yourself in the mirror being that. I could never do that. We don't live on the same planet.
    This is all Doc needs to read to be caught up.

The single weirdest fucking thing anyone has ever said on the internet. Like if you replaced "corny ass family man" with "cereal eater" or "cat owner" it wouldn't be any more or any less nonsense.

Imagine not living on the same planet as someone because the have kids and post them on Instagram for their family to see. Just wait until Josh finds out about black people, or Europeans, he's gonna have an aneurysm.

Edit: I'm gonna be really clear here about how disappointing it is to hear Josh talk this way. I don't "live on the same planet" as rapists, racists, murders, xenophobia, sexists, pedophiles, etc. I could never look at myself in the mirror if I was the kind of person who hated others or harmed them with malice. I absolutely live on the same planet as my Indian neighbors, my elderly no kids neighbors, my friends with 5 kids, my gay friends, my asexual friend, my Republican, Democrat and Independent friends. I don't look down on anyone else's view of politics, religion, family or hobbies so long as they are kind to everyone they meet. I could live with myself being any of them if I did it with compassion towards others. Josh doesn't live on the same planet as someone with goofy named Instagram posts about their kids.

I'm no victim because Josh doesn't identify with me anymore because of one small cross section of my life he's seen over the last 4 years, I'm really not effected by his opinion at all. If this wasn't a forum I've been on for almost 2 decades I would have forgot the stupid shit he said right after he said it. What I am is someone who's bummed out to see someone they always thought was a good guy, be this way. I never really thought I knew Josh, but I didn't think he held malice in his heart for people different than himself, and if he feels this different from someone because of their Instagram humor, I can't imagine what he feels for people really truly living different lives.
    Last edited by Opaque; 02 May 2020 at 10:37 AM.

8. There’s no option on the ballot for “burn everything down and fuck the dead,” so I guess I’ll be staying home again.
    Boo, Hiss.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post

Being an absolute fucking retard with unrestrained confidence that he knows better than everyone is the main ingredient of the Trump cocktail, but sure let's just gloss over that part.

No other modern president would just amble up and unilaterally impose things like streams of tariffs that carry a wide-ranging economical fallout and have practically no support from anyone, as one example. There's 'not pretending to pander' and there's 'waving your dick at anything resembling a democratic process,' there's 'being uncouth' and there's 'pissing on people and telling them it's rain,' and Trump falls squarely in the latter camp on both counts.
    So being a dick waiving asshole and an idiot (which is admittedly indisputable) is somehow worse than being a war criminal responsible for megadeaths. Got it.
    Then rage over that in equal measure when it needs to be. But this air of above-it-all indifference to the whole thing just reads as resigned acquiescence. Telling people to stop caring because everything's equally bad is a) lazy critique and b) the polar opposite of rebellion.
    Rebellion is playing by the rules of a rigged game even harder? Got it. You milksops sure like to tell us what we need to do by doubling down on the bullshit you keep losing with. I mean, y'all can't even beat Donald fucking Trump.
    Last edited by Vasteel; 02 May 2020 at 02:35 PM.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

10. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Politics is messy and it's unfortunate when you're left with only choices you don't like, but the very real scenario we find ourselves in is that any vote not for Biden is essentially a vote for Trump.

You hate Biden so much you'd rather vote for Trump and a generation of conservative SCOTUS after he names RBGs replacement next term? I just can't follow that logic. It's like if you really liked rice, but the store was out and only had bread and you're like "I'll just fucking starve then".
    Here's the thing. I was a Clinton supporter in 2016. I was lukewarm on Bernie until p recently. In fact, I wasn't totally swayed by anything he said until a few weeks? months? when I saw him on (Bill Maher? I can't remember - quarantine is literally eroding my memory.) Seeing him not in CAMPAIGN MODE really, really impressed me. However, this was after he dropped out lol. I agree with the majority of his policies but I also believe that our system is fundamentally antithetical to electing someone like him. I have no faith that we will even have an election this year, let alone a fair one.

My dissatisfaction with America stems far deeper than "wahhhh let's vote out the orange cheeto." My vote has been proven to not count since I was of voting age. Since the Gore election, voting has been not only been constructed to work against the majority of individuals, but tossed aside with little regard. My state (and yours!) by all rights should be the most vocal in determining the future of this third-world-country-in-the-making due to our enormous contribution to America's cultural and economic statuses (GDP, mostly, if thats your bag.) But, our votes are laughed at - even in this thread. "Oh, you're in CA, your vote doesn't matter." I vote on local issues - though my doubts stem to these as well, but I will still participate. Nationally? My voice is as useless as a fart in the wind and I have been reminded of such since I was 18.

This is so much bigger than the store being out of rice. This is me saying "I am so fucking tired of this store being out of rice over and over again that I am choosing to go to a different store even if no one else will go with me." If America is so determined to elect a criminal con-man, then Elizabeth Holmes (not Warren, btw) should fit right in. At least Holmes has a cool voice and isn't a rapist. Anyway, I'm leaving the country so lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread