Page 416 of 968 FirstFirst ... 402412414415416417418420430 ... LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,160 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    You should try selling appliances.
    If I could do it like Crazy Eddie I would.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fO9XC3tAbkQ

2. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Well yes, the narrative and language of a lot of academic social progress shit is toxic. Lumping all men together is toxic. Lumping all whites together is toxic. Lumping all prejudice together is toxic.

You gain a lot more ground using common vernacular to just talk to people.

Like which do you think will get more traction? If I tell the old white lady that owns a hair care store that it would be good if she had nonwhites products too so the other 20% of the town can shop there? Or if I called her a racist out the gate?
    Yes that's exactly the point, kind of. It's like... you can hold a group of people to a standard if they are actually acting as a group (like the white supremacist rally's in Charlottesville for example). But that's the extent of it. I think there's something truly sinister beneath the idea of holding minorities under a constant burden of disenfranchisement. I don't deny there are cultural factors here, for sure. But is white privilege the biggest factor in the power dynamics and earning potential of minorities? No. It's like 10% tops (those in power largely do want to try and stay in power). I mean look at the actual stats:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 7.03.59 PM.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	80851
    [Link]

Asian's are slaughtering us all by comparison — more specifically Indian American's earn $107,390 in generalized income. If being white were the sole factor in social mobility these other minority groups wouldn't be succeeding in such great quantities. By the standards of the identity police we're not even at the top. The takeaway from this is that a lack of minority representation in a lot of creative markets is just not a great indicator of discrimination. It could be a great indicator of poor community integration, though. Most of the players in the NBA are black, because they have the skill to succeed in the NBA. It's the direct result of the meritocracy of basketball. Nobody is discriminating against white or asian's here. We mostly just suck at that sport at that level of expectation. Black communities have it hard in many ways, no doubt, but white privilege to me is a really poor excuse for a lot of these outcomes when you investigate into it a little bit.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 03 Oct 2017 at 07:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Suppose she has the extra cash laying around to put on a big advertising campaign announcing her diversification of product. Are her established customers going to be confused and stop going there? Are the non-whites going to react as if she's just another whitey trying to get money out of a non white base that probably shops at a minority owned shop already and so it looks like she's trying to steal their business?
    When it comes to retail, there a fuck ton of possible factors for why a place is run the way it is and its not necessarily just a line drawn along racial boundaries.
    I've done a lot of work in South Dallas. I'm pretty sure old white lady would get absolutely no business there, unless all she did was sell hair products for African American people. She'd probably have to have an African American staff working the store, while she just managed the place from the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    As a store owner, I get helpful advice on what I should sell in order to gain more customers. Comic books, board games, collectible card games. Every time I've heeded such advice I've ended up wasting money because no one knows I am carrying that stuff or if they do they already have a place they get it from that's probably cheaper than I can sell since I'm dipping my toe into it and not ordering $25,000 worth of merchandise.
    With your old white lady scenario it's a catch 22. She wont order products for black ladies because she probably doesnt get any black lady customers. She wont have any black lady customers because she doesnt carry black lady products.
    Suppose she has the extra cash laying around to put on a big advertising campaign announcing her diversification of product. Are her established customers going to be confused and stop going there? Are the non-whites going to react as if she's just another whitey trying to get money out of a non white base that probably shops at a minority owned shop already and so it looks like she's trying to steal their business?
    When it comes to retail, there a fuck ton of possible factors for why a place is run the way it is and its not necessarily just a line drawn along racial boundaries.
    Let me ask it another way, which method do you think would push her to actually behave like a racist? Which would be more likely to make her behave badly?

You guys can dance around this all you want, but talking to people respectfully and as indiviudals and not calling them racist because you don't agree with them, tends to be the best way.

5. I understand that. I've been saying the same thing for years, often citing the example of a former poster here giving me shit for saying words everyone used instead of approaching it from a non judgmental "hey, I know that used to be acceptable but here's some reasons why that isn't really funny anymore" approach. The fact that modern society is so willing to jump to labels and assuming the worst about everyone else' intentions is annoying and unproductive.

6. Even if the worst is applicable, putting the person in the wrong on the defensive doesn't help if your end goal is to incite change. I don't believe most people are truly evil. But when you're accustomed to living a certain way and are told that way isn't acceptable-well, that's a hell of a thing to just accept and change overnight.

7. Growing up in 90s Florida it was pretty common to use 'faggot' et al. as a pejorative for just about anything as a teenager. I used it once in my 20s and had a friend pull me aside and tell me that wasn't cool, haven't used it since.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 04 Oct 2017 at 10:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

I have a gay friend that I use the word around. We've lived together and helped each other through life shit. I also go along with his really filthy gay sex jokes which admittedly are pretty funny to watch around hard core conservative friends. It's like they want to leave their skin.

I don't really use it around other people anymore though.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I understand that. I've been saying the same thing for years, often citing the example of a former poster here giving me shit for saying words everyone used instead of approaching it from a non judgmental "hey, I know that used to be acceptable but here's some reasons why that isn't really funny anymore" approach. The fact that modern society is so willing to jump to labels and assuming the worst about everyone else' intentions is annoying and unproductive.
    Labeling an opponent, in general, is probably the least effective method for persuading a person. You'll get nowhere by telling someone that they're a racist, but you can totally explain that they've made an incorrect generalization about someone. Those might be the same damn thing, but you have to start from "You're incorrect," and work backwards on why they thought something incorrect (or leave it unsaid).
    Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Growing up in 90s Florida it was pretty common to use 'faggot' et al. as a pejorative for just about anything as a teenager. I used it once in my 20s and had a friend pull me aside and tell me that wasn't cool, haven't used it since.
    I had a similar experience, but I needed a little more than "that's not cool." I felt like "You know me, you know what I mean," and it had to be spelled out that not everyone does, and a lot of people could hear that and get the wrong idea, and most of them will never tell you. Meanwhile you have a ton of other word choices that don't create that problem." That made sense to me, so I stopped.

It's always better to just rationalize through these things than to just label.

10. Lol they just had a press conference for Tillerson to tell America that he did not, in fact, call Trump a moron.

I cannot imagine another administration doing such a thing.