Page 497 of 968 FirstFirst ... 483493495496497498499501511 ... LastLast
Results 4,961 to 4,970 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Why do you think wages should be private? Hiding that information promotes income inequality. If you can’t publicly post your basic wage tiers including profit kept at the top, how can you be an honest person?

The working class can seize the profits at the top by being ethical consumers. That shirt you ware, could you not have bought another where the seamstress made more money and worked less hours?
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Humans make purchase decisions when a product or service adequately meets their need. Posting private info for them to make decisions is a silly idea.
    This is the exact cultural habit we must break to improve the income gap. When you buy a pair of jeans, a TV, a hamburger, how many hours did the workers have to work to provide for their families? What benefits - health, vacation, retirement - did they revive? What other options did you have? Was it necessary to purchase? Was having that item worth the sacrifices of the worker?
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

That’s nice and all, but if I’m paying 16% tax on purchases I’ll be buying from the lowest price fucker around. I don’t have the luxury of overpaying for goods on ethical grounds.

Haven’t we all figured out that sales tax impacts the poor more harshly than the rich? 16 cents on the dollar hurts a lot more when you make maybe fifteen thousand of those dollars every year.

4. What hurts the poor is this fiction we have to buy everything advertised to us. You don’t have to buy everything. And you can buy somethings and buy them from those companies who pay thier workers fair wages. 16% just means you buy 16% less shit. Stop buying the bullshit ads are selling you. Do you really need the 5% you spend on sugar drinks?

If we break the consumer culture conditioning, if you paid for goods on ethical grounds, the poor wouldn’t be as poor and rich as rich. Every consumer is a slave master.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 30 Dec 2017 at 09:36 PM.

It’s cute that you think the world could be changed for the better, but where’s the money in that? We kick each others asses over mildly discounted consumer goods you think people are going to choose to spend more to help someone? Lol, ok.

6. It only takes changing how view each other and how we engage in commerce.

Gasoline, most people would include it as a necessary expense. There was a time when gas was $3 a gallon, I was making $9 an hour and driving 120 miles round trip to work or at 30 miles a gallon $12. There, were nights I would sleep in my car to save the gas money. Nights when the temperature was freezing and it was snowing. And if I could work overtime, I would get a room at the dive motel for $28 and end up making $11 working an additional 2 hours at time and a half vs the same time I would have spent anyway driving home and burning gas. I didn’t need to burn gas. I didn’t need to buy it.

You don’t need the shit television, magazines, the internet, and radio has told you you needed since birth. You can use it, but you don’t need it. Why not buy less? Why not save that money and then be an ethical person by buying from those who pay fairly?

Because fuck it.

8. Ok then. Maybe when the skies are black with carbon we can live underwater?

9. Doc, look at the Fair Tax as an example of raising sales tax to cover the budget. Your issue is that even when giving tax breaks on necessities, the top earners are not going to spend more than a fraction of their earnings, so their investments and savings will continue to concentrate the wealth at the top.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    That shirt you ware, could you not have bought another where the seamstress made more money and worked less hours?
    maybe not? product diversity is mostly a lie. Something like 65% of guitars are made in the same factory in china. 75% of small cell batteries. 85% of music speakers. etc, etc.

American business is as fake as the plaster Epcot is made out of.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 30 Dec 2017 at 11:26 PM.