Page 961 of 968 FirstFirst ... 947957959960961962963965 ... LastLast
Results 9,601 to 9,610 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Fox news is the most propaganda of any of them however. It files its taxes as an entertainment channel. It has never officially been news.

They should be fined for tax evasion everytime they present anything as news.
    Is entertainment taxed at a lower rate than news? That doesn't sound right...

2. At this point the beatings are just. Keep the whuppins going.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

3. I don't think it's a tax thing as much as it is an avoidance of regulations thing. There are probably more rules that apply to news channels.
    It's like when Vince McMahon admitted that pro wrestling is fixed so that the athletic commissions would have no authority over pro wrestling events, and they couldn't crack down on steroid use.

4. Even Fox itself admits that garbage like Tucker Carlson isn't news, so anyone taking it as such is a moron.

I bet it would have been amazing if the government could have mobilized PPE and other medical resources as quickly as they deployed phantom cops across the country. Funny how that didn't happen.

5. Al Jazeera is probably the least shitty cable news channel. I wouldn't necessarily trust them when it comes to Qatari politics, but they don't seem to have much of a bias when it comes to world news, and tend to just report the facts and move on to the next story.

6. I'm always fascinated by people's umbrage with media bias. They a) act as though the media used to be objective and became biased only a short time ago, when in truth yellow journalism had already been around for decades and likely started events like the Spanish-American War, and b) offer no alternative. People like Trump love to point a finger at the media, call it fake news, etc., but they have no "real" alternative to offer in its place. Moreover, they run to that same "fake" media every chance they get. They have no true rage at the press; it's all a show to give them yet one more "other" to present to idiots as the enemies of the people. It's the same "this is bad, but I got nothing to offer in its place" bullshit they use with things like healthcare and SS.
    Last edited by Melf; 27 Jul 2020 at 04:57 PM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Be nice if CNN followed suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I bet it would have been amazing if the government could have mobilized PPE and other medical resources as quickly as they deployed phantom cops across the country. Funny how that didn't happen.
    Hard to deploy things you don't have, don't you think? The problem is we're dependent on China to manufacture and supply this stuff and our lack of production capability is biting us in the ass - just like I knew it would twenty years ago. And "quickly deployed phantom cops"? Really? This stuff has been going on since May and it'll be August in a few days. People have a right to peacefully protest. People also depend on government to ensure that they can walk safely down the street at night and not have shit that they paid for destroyed.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I'm always fascinated by people's umbrage with media bias. They a) act as though the media used to be objective and became biased only a short time ago, when in truth yellow journalism had already been around for decades and likely started events like the Spanish-American War, and b) offer no alternative. People like Trump love to point a finger at the media, call it fake news, etc., but they have no "real" alternative to offer in its place. Moreover, they run to that same "fake" media every chance they get. They have no true rage at the press; it's all a show to give them yet one more "other" to present to idiots as the enemies of the people. It's the same "this is bad, but I got nothing to offer in its place" bullshit they use with things like healthcare and SS.
    The position I've espoused before remains true: as long as they are dependent upon viewership and advertising for revenue to pay their salaries there's no way that they can be objective or report just the facts. They have to cater to their audience. The "free press" is a joke and has been for a long time no matter which side of the fence you're biased toward. What you suggest, above, simply cannot exist if it's going to pay wages.

9. Quote Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
    Hard to deploy things you don't have, don't you think? The problem is we're dependent on China to manufacture and supply this stuff and our lack of production capability is biting us in the ass - just like I knew it would twenty years ago. And "quickly deployed phantom cops"? Really? This stuff has been going on since May and it'll be August in a few days. People have a right to peacefully protest. People also depend on government to ensure that they can walk safely down the street at night and not have shit that they paid for destroyed.
    That's the problem, isn't it? We've been huffing and puffing against China for years now, and here we are, unable and unwilling to protect our own people without turning to them. I thought Trump was going to bring all the factories back? Wasn't that one of the cornerstones of his campaign 4 years ago? Yet here we are, lamenting not being ready for something that people saw coming years ago. There is simply no excuse for not being prepared, and the time-worn excuse of "it's too expensive!" always seems to apply to everything that doesn't include shooting and bombing something.

May was two months ago. We certainly mobilized and deployed these fuckheads in record time, but we've been dealing with the virus for more than twice that long and the government can't even remain consistent on something as basic as masks. Shows where the priorities are. I agree that the violence doesn't help, but I don't think you can lump everyone together. Thousands of people weren't breaking shit all over the country; they were protesting peacefully. The percentage of dickheads breaking shit is really small compared to the sheer number of people who have marched and protested without violence. Of course, when you toss unidentified, paramilitary troops into the mix, you can't expect things to remain calm. The government has fucked up its response to this issue as badly as it has with COVID.

Quote Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
    The position I've espoused before remains true: as long as they are dependent upon viewership and advertising for revenue to pay their salaries there's no way that they can be objective or report just the facts. They have to cater to their audience. The "free press" is a joke and has been for a long time no matter which side of the fence you're biased toward. What you suggest, above, simply cannot exist if it's going to pay wages.
    There has never been a free and objective press, ever. I'm am SO tired of the whining about it. Republicans whine but run to the press all the time. Dems too. I've yet to see assholes like Ben Shapiro, Joe Rogan, Michael Moore or others present a concept of a viable alternative to the evil, nasty press. Why? Because they NEED it and they know it. Yes, the press sucks, but cry me a fucking river about it while you're making money off of it or run to it so it can cover your rallies and movie premieres.

10. I don't think it's their job to fix the press in the first place. If there were a market for honest, intelligent journalism, then maybe we would see some.