Page 508 of 968 FirstFirst ... 494504506507508509510512522 ... LastLast
Results 5,071 to 5,080 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    I don't know what you mean, I guess. He watches Fox all the time, there are some articles lately about his tweeting corresponding to what they are saying on Fox and Friends.
    Yes, exactly. So they need to hire the Fox and Friends anchors to record his briefings and other vital information in a form that he will actually pay attention to.

2. On the subject of Fake News, Trump has delayed the awards until the 17th. The fact that Republicans are defending a president talking about this (attacking the press, singling out the press that has been far more accurate than his favorites) should tell you everything you need to know about this party.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Americans (and I know you're Canadian, but you've got the worst case of Americanitis I've ever seen) have this ridiculous tendency to think success must be linked to merit. It's a really dumb assumption to make. It might be true in some cases, but it's not a very safe assumption, and in fact the wealth of your parents is a greater predictor of economic success than either academic achievement or IQ.
    If success is defined as money-on-hand obviously having money given to you in itself fulfills that criteria. That’s pretty poorly defined because the burden of prediction is so low. A better definition of success (and the one actually used) is goal achievement (both setting and fulfilling). The best known variables of prediction are conscientiousness, open networking, and 2-parent households. If you boil these multivariate regressions down to one main variable that predicts success across them all? That’s essentially how IQ was discovered.

Either way I don’t believe Trumps success is due to high IQ. He’s not a genius but almost certainly has somewhere around average intelligence. His standout quality is shamelessly controlling people towards his goals.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 07 Jan 2018 at 05:15 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Either way I don’t believe Trumps success is due to high IQ. He’s not a genius but almost certainly has somewhere around average intelligence. His standout quality is shamelessly controlling people towards his goals.
    It's tough to say what his IQ is, because I don't honestly think he could complete an IQ test. He doesn't have the focus or discipline to actually sit in one place and do something long and boring for a few hours.

He isn't operating at an average level in the sense that there's no way he could actually hold down a job or handle basic adulting if he didn't happen to be born into a position where he never had to. If you were to interview him for any job that involved actual work you would never hire him.

In terms of cognitive ability, maybe you could convince me he's like 100 IQ, which is technically average, but that's really fucking dumb. In a professional office environment, almost everyone would be above that.

He has absolutely no track record of controlling or managing people, nor even being a good negotiator as he likes to say. His one and only real standout quality has always been shameless self promotion.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 07 Jan 2018 at 05:16 PM.

5. He used to speak much better though. I don’t think this new stuff is an act, it’s age and stressors

yeah, maybe he was a lot smarter in his 30s or 40s. Or even 50s. I don't remember watching home alone 2 and thinking that guy was a stupid tit.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    He used to speak much better though. I don’t think this new stuff is an act, it’s age and stressors
    For sure he is deteriorating. There are signs of dementia or alzheimers. But even accounts from 30 years ago all indicate he had no real ability to focus, work, or manage. His vocabulary was better than it is now, and likely his memory too, but he was always ignorant and low-functioning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    yeah, maybe he was a lot smarter in his 30s or 40s. Or even 50s. I don't remember watching home alone 2 and thinking that guy was a stupid tit.
    How would you know that, though? We haven't ever seen much of the guy in any way other than how he wanted to be seen, but that doesn't mean that those that knew him off screen weren't well aware of his idiocy.

If you think any of this is new, I urge you to read this fantastic piece about the ghostwriter of The Art of the Deal and his experience with Trump over 30 years ago:
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...iter-tells-all
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 07 Jan 2018 at 06:10 PM.

8. Well this isn't going to help any. I generally like Stephen Colbert but this just sucks, even if it's just his name on there as Executive Producer.

So should comedians not make fun of the president?

10. Apparently the person reading for the audio book version of that Ice and Fire book or whatever sounds almost exactly like Ron Howard, and so the book sounds like Arrested Development.

https://twitter.com/robtanchum/statu...32585981169670