Page 537 of 968 FirstFirst ... 523533535536537538539541551 ... LastLast
Results 5,361 to 5,370 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. No, clearly it's about proscribing genres available to white male performers.

2. DUH: http://comprop.oii.ox.ac.uk/wp-conte...p-JunkNews.pdf

(Unrelated to what you guys are talking about.)

3. The argument of the article is Entertainment, or popular art, should be political and the politics de jour is anti-cis-white male.

My issue with this is that popular art is glib, a quick escape or boost.

If you make entertainment political, then politics become glib. We are there. Take a good political message like equality, slap a T-mobile logo on it and it becomes a manipulative tool to take your money. We are there now. I do not respect any politician or popular politics because they are glib, superficial, manipulative and insincere. Trump is still the best politician for this culture, because he is the manifestation of all this shittiness. Until we mature as a culture, we are stuck with him and those like him.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    "But we are living in a moment of struggle, and we want our pop music to also reflect that struggle."

Nothing in the article or the part you quoted suggests what Timberlake should and shouldn't do. Nothing blames him (or you; calm down) for being white. It's about where pop music is now Timberlake's aesthetic of white dude making smooth, nostalgic songs that are a little pushy about sex and/or "wheeeee let's dance dance dance everything is great" seeming distanced from it.

Awful lot of people taking a totally benign, trite argument like "The part where Timberlake does the song where he exposed a black woman's tit, maybe ending her career, at the same venue with no acknowledgment of that black woman seems a little out of touch in 2018" as an assault on white men in here.
    Maybe the writers and people like them, is stupid and ignorant?

There has always been a struggle. There has always been music that reflects that. Maybe turn off the radio and load up that search engine if the top 10 is representing the anger and frustration of your heart?
    Last edited by Fe 26; 06 Feb 2018 at 01:52 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    "But we are living in a moment of struggle, and we want our pop music to also reflect that struggle."
    They want to cash in on the latest fashion, you mean.

Nothing in the article or the part you quoted suggests what Timberlake should and shouldn't do. Nothing blames him (or you; calm down) for being white. It's about where pop music is now Timberlake's aesthetic of white dude making smooth, nostalgic songs that are a little pushy about sex and/or "wheeeee let's dance dance dance everything is great" seeming distanced from it.
    Can you see how you are making assumptions about the song, while criticizing anyone making assumptions about the article? The difference here are the superstitions or predjudices founding your assumptions and the superstitions or prejudices founding others assumptions.

Awful lot of people taking a totally benign, trite argument like "The part where Timberlake does the song where he exposed a black woman's tit, maybe ending her career, at the same venue with no acknowledgment of that black woman seems a little out of touch in 2018" as an assault on white men in here.
    That move was staged and designed to boost her career. The producers had more to do with that than Janet or Justin did.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

6. s
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Can you see how you are making assumptions about the song, while criticizing anyone making assumptions about the article?
    No.

I'm not evaluating anything.

I'm summarizing what the argument of the article is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    The argument of the article is Entertainment, or popular art, should be political and the politics de jour is anti-cis-white male.
    Where.

The argument is: JT and his performance are out of touch with what people seem to want from pop music today. It is purely descriptive. Its premise is what pop music seems to be doing and what we want from it today. It is not proscriptive. It does not posit what pop music should be (, Doc). It does not posit what white people should be (, Dunlap).

The argument is not: Straight white men should make country music. Not being a country album is referenced as a mistake to illustrate the point that the album was non-committal generically--that it lacked a "leading element."
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 06 Feb 2018 at 03:17 PM.

Me calling the writer ignorant is not commentary on the job of pop music or what people want from it.

Being ignorant in this way isn't even new. There has always been some freshly woke brat suddenly wishing pop music reflected what they wanted.

8. What in tarnations is going on

9. Since when is pop music in any way relevant to what's happening politically?
    The whole point of it is to be vapidly ignorant of real life.

10. Not a big pop fan, then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!