Page 679 of 968 FirstFirst ... 665675677678679680681683693 ... LastLast
Results 6,781 to 6,790 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Sats basically said a chunk of what I was going to say. But yeah- we trust basically the entire fabric of modern society to rely on the internet in order to function. Voting is special? If we do our banking online, why can't we vote online?

Of course the first time will be a disaster. The first time you do anything it's a disaster. But it's a disaster that earns you progress, unlike all the random disasters we have on a daily basis that serve no purpose. Let's try and crawl towards something.

2. Again, we have one of the two parties which is specifically focused on voter suppression not making voting easier so it isn't happening anytime soon. They do not want broader participation.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. You're right, what a terrible time to fight back.

4. lol

I think, as true to this thread somewhat, Democrats will actually have a bigger pushback to online voting, due to transparency and trust issues. I feel like this may be a mistake to throw up your hands so soon in the battle, because it allows republicans to step in and propose a corporate/private solution which is infinitely worse. It's really important to support the issue because it's inevitable, but it's important to be critical of the right things. yes, republicans are terrible about voter suppression. but let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater - I-voting is proven to increase participation. Let's work on the transparency issues, not nixing the whole idea entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

5. I've gone beyond giving up the battle, I've given up as a whole. We're fucked as a county and as a species as a whole. We've wrecked the planet well past the point of no return for our long term survival already and AI that we've created will rise up in the not too distant future and wipe us off the planet and it'll be right to do it.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

No more tears. Change your mindset and it’s a fantastic show.

7. Oh I'm enjoying the ride down for sure.

8. Trump has threatened to shut down the federal government over that stupid border wall & immigration reform. Not surprised at all that he'd resort to outright blackmail. If this sitch leads to a shutdown, the blame belongs to him. I don't blame anyone for refusing to cave.

I do not believe there isn't a way to make online voting secure enough. It may not be easy, but they just need to get up & start looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    Sats basically said a chunk of what I was going to say. But yeah- we trust basically the entire fabric of modern society to rely on the internet in order to function. Voting is special? If we do our banking online, why can't we vote online?

Of course the first time will be a disaster. The first time you do anything it's a disaster. But it's a disaster that earns you progress, unlike all the random disasters we have on a daily basis that serve no purpose. Let's try and crawl towards something.
    banking works because most of the time hackers don't care about you specifically. And if they do, they shut your card down and send you a new one.

I'm not sure if that can work for voting

Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    I've gone beyond giving up the battle, I've given up as a whole. We're fucked as a county and as a species as a whole. We've wrecked the planet well past the point of no return for our long term survival already and AI that we've created will rise up in the not too distant future and wipe us off the planet and it'll be right to do it.
    We can't make a flow meter for water that doesn't need calibration regularly or a version of Windows that works perfectly. We'll be ok in regards to the AIs.

If one kills us, it will be because it was trying to make some guy waffles and it somehow fucks up and releases a massive load of radioactive material into the atmosphere by mistake.