Page 485 of 968 FirstFirst ... 471481483484485486487489499 ... LastLast
Results 4,841 to 4,850 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Well, the issue is people are just freaking delicate at the moment.

I don't identify as a gamer, but I develop games, I play games, and I talk about games plenty. If someone were to say, "so, you're a gamer", even if I don't identify as such, I'd probably just be like, "yeah, you could say so, however -".

It's the immediate outrage at not being accurately and wholistically considered that isn't tenable. If you want unorthodox consideration then maybe you should probably have some patience with people's reasonable conditioning.

2. It’s criminalized immediate outrage. And the term is misgendering — using any term that casts someone as a gender other than the one they declared. He/she/they is being 100% assumed here. There’s a list of 30 though most trans people prefer he/she anyway. The language is vague. And not everyone agrees with the multiplicity of genders.

I don’t mind any of the social development of these concepts. As mentioned I personally wouldn’t object to calling someone xir. But that’s the point. Just because I wouldn’t object doesn’t mean the idea of force/law angle here is good. Corralling language that way undermines open discourse in the first place, at its core value. It’s a very dangerous concept dressed up in a well meaning cause. It’s just another flag burning debate except the left supports it.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 15 Dec 2017 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox View Post

It's the immediate outrage at not being accurately and wholistically considered that isn't tenable. If you want unorthodox consideration then maybe you should probably have some patience with people's reasonable conditioning.
    Is anyone outraged though? Like 5 people, on the whole earth?

4. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    It’s criminalized immediate outrage.
    But it hasn't though, as pointed out by multiple people who you continue to ignore, the law is not forcing these things.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

5. It's weird how Drew and IP don't get along.

6. I think Drew is just making the slippery slope argument, which is a valid concern, but not representative of the current reality.
    I don't really understand the hate that people heap on Jordan Peterson. His concerns may be disproportionate to the situation, but there's cautionary value to them if you consider how out to lunch Canadian law gets about these things.

7. Peterson has a lot of really interesting class lectures on his youtube.

8. Can someone link me to something of his worthwhile that isn’t a video? I don’t have the patience to watch that rn but I’m curious about his philosophy.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

9. Granted, this is from those right-wing zealots at The Washington Post, but Drew's not wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

10. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I think Drew is just making the slippery slope argument, which is a valid concern, but not representative of the current reality.
    You just summed up the entirety of the anti-net neutrality argument in one sentence.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.