Page 646 of 968 FirstFirst ... 632642644645646647648650660 ... LastLast
Results 6,451 to 6,460 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    This isn't even the first time this has happened.

The vicious irony is that the exact people that will hand-wave away the bog-standard transparency of a third party recording and/or observing a meeting between major world leaders as nothing suspicious are the same people that root for a surveillance state and say "What's the problem, you have something to hide?"

Like I said earlier , the high road's a trap, respectability politics is a losing battle in the current climate. The electorate wants to see a gladiator match and the Dems are sending milquetoast philosophers.

That's not at all to say they need someone crass and lumbering to match the other side; They just need people that stop fucking pulling their punches in the name of civility and will cut hard and deep with the fact checks and insults these dunderheads keep leaving themselves wide open for. A quick wit that throws lingering soundbites and a bit of comedic sass right back at the face of slack-jawed Republican logic is the best weapon to make the public come around to how deeply stupid and uncool most conservative tenets are. Being careful not to step on toes, letting ridiculous statements and bold-faced lies just pass by with nothing but a haughty, dismissive laugh, and trusting the electorate to separate fact from fiction is a loser's game. It's a self-imposed handicap that the other side clearly isn't reciprocating.

Spell everything out for your audience and show them the blood of your enemy. Treat them like they're idiots that will furrow their neanderthal brows in confusion and disgust at a match that ends in a technical decision and not a clear knockout. Because, by and large, that's what they are.
    So John Stewart?

The problem, unless you resurrect some dead comedians, is that fact checking takes time. And liberal politicians aren't going to risk slamming the other side, then look foolish later.

In other news, a rl friend agreed with me that they should just run Samuel Jackson for Demo president. Or Morgan Freeman. They obviously don't actually have anyone worth a shit on either side. And Samuel Jackson seems like a nice guy.

2. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Yeah, it's an insult, it's supposed to be offensive.
    Yeah, but it’s not offensive in the making fun of Elizabeth warren way they’re going for it’s offensive in the having a fucking football team called the redskins way.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    I'm not screaming it but they're definite realities now. People find loopholes around shit. I don't know if it'll be the "religious freedom" red herring or something else, but they'll formulate something with regard to gay marriage. I also don't doubt that some Roe v. Wade busters have been on hold because of 5-4, but will be loosed because of 6-3 now. As Cheeks is fond of saying, all the sportspolitik stuff is going to make them go nuts and push their agendas.
    No, you’re right! As I said on the other thread, it’s true - the loopholes and incremental policy is what we need to be frightened of. I’m weary of the liberal sky is falling mentality, so when the real shit hits the fan we’ve been so overwrought with all the minor injustices along the way that we can’t see the forest for the trees. These issues didn’t start with Trump, or Obama, or Bush 2 even. They’ve been in our core foundation since the beginning, and some administrations bring out the muck more than others, it’s how it goes. Obviously I’m not in love with the idea of progress being undone, but a lot of people chose to humor the nuclear option (figuratively, hopefully) and thus we suffer the consequences as a society.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

4. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Yeah, but it’s not offensive in the making fun of Elizabeth warren way they’re going for it’s offensive in the having a fucking football team called the redskins way.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    On NPR today, they said there were a record number of Native Americans running for office this year. And the two current Native Americans in congress are both Repulicans. Neither are Elizabeth Warren.

source
    I mean the nickname is clearly over the line. But she also falsely claimed to be of native descent and still holds on to that made up heritage to this day. In a world where Trump is the opposition it’s a boneheaded move. The fact that it triggered bbobb so aggressively is pretty great too.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    No, you’re right! As I said on the other thread, it’s true - the loopholes and incremental policy is what we need to be frightened of. I’m weary of the liberal sky is falling mentality, so when the real shit hits the fan we’ve been so overwrought with all the minor injustices along the way that we can’t see the forest for the trees. These issues didn’t start with Trump, or Obama, or Bush 2 even. They’ve been in our core foundation since the beginning, and some administrations bring out the muck more than others, it’s how it goes. Obviously I’m not in love with the idea of progress being undone, but a lot of people chose to humor the nuclear option (figuratively, hopefully) and thus we suffer the consequences as a society.
    We’ve been told that every Republican president since Reagan was literally Hitler II.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 05 Jul 2018 at 08:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    I don't think the name of a historical figure is the same as an obvious epithet. If she falsely claimed to be Egyptian and he called her "Cleopatra" I doubt anyone would be offended.

7. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    When did you turn into a white woman? Calm your tits, hun.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

8. He’s in Portland now. Even the non-existent black men become white women.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

That could be really awesome or really horrible.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    We’ve been told that every Republican president since Reagan was literally Hitler II.
    And every democrat was literally Marx, Lenin, Satan, and Hitler in some sort of odd Voltron. However, I'm used to the right being hysterical - that's why people like Rush Limbaugh are still employed, because they are so over the top with their grievances that it's entertaining. That's why Anita Bryant and Billy Graham are still made fun of, long after they ceased to be relevant. The right has an embedded hysteria in its core since Reagan, which I think stems from the alignment with Fundamentalism and ttttthhhheeeee grrreeeaaaat Saaaatannnnnn and all that theatrical stuff.

But I truly expect more from liberals, I didn't expect them to pick up where the fundamentalists left off in tyool 2018. I mean, I should have figured they would - profits are profits at this point, and the 24-hour news cycle does not lend itself to any positive outcome. We as libs have replaced "Satan" with every ill we can possibly think of: "This is the end of ______ as we know it!" Is that productive? I don't think it is. I'm just really surprised - not at the hard left SJW/identity politics, because outliers always exist - but at the true middle of the road liberal. So many of us just have reverted to conservative tricks and it didn't work for them and it's not gonna work for us. So, RIP Democratic Party as we know it, I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread