Page 569 of 968 FirstFirst ... 555565567568569570571573583 ... LastLast
Results 5,681 to 5,690 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. People do though
    We have a president (lol) who would start WW3 if it prevented people from knowing his true net worth, you think he’s doing things that make sense?

Dems can walk and chew gum at the same time and point both of these out
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 13 Mar 2018 at 09:36 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    This crossed my mind at first, but it doesn’t add up. Pompeo is much more of a Russia hawk than Tillerson ever was. No, the likely answer is that this has been in the works ever since word got out that T-Rex referred to Trump as a “moron.”

This is where the collusion fantasy really doesn’t help Democrats (or the country). Firing the nation’s top diplomat before an unprecedented, high-stakes summit with North Korea creates unnecessary instability at the worst possible time. Dems should be running with this, not doubling down on some collusion/impeachment fan fiction that no thinking person takes seriously.
    Collusion with the Russians in election tampering is not the only scenario in which Russia has leverage on our president, you know. I think it's a mistake to focus on this simplistic dopey understanding that this is about Trump asking Putin to "hack the election." That may be extremely unlikely and wholly unsubstantiated, and yet it could still be entirely possible that they know something he doesn't want to be public, or that he's loyal to them for reasons of financial ties or personal gains. It's dumb to think that this argument begins and ends with collusion.

3. I suspect that Trump doesn't care what they know, because he's basically unsinkable at this point.

4. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I suspect that Trump doesn't care what they know, because he's basically unsinkable at this point.
    As incomprehensible as it might seem, Trump still cares desperately what people think of him.

5. That may be the case but I don't think his campaign had any real links to Russia. There was idiotic behavior, for sure, and lousy vetting/hiring/whatever, but he ain't going anywhere.

Again, no problem being wrong on that.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    That may be the case but I don't think his campaign had any real links to Russia.
    But clearly they did. The whole inquiry into him kicked off because he had large sums of money flowing in from the region that wasn't connected to any legitimate business dealings. The meeting with the Russian state-connected lawyers that Don Jr took was brokered by the guy that sponsored Trump's Miss Universe pageant in Russia. It's obvious to me Trump is connected financially to Russian oligarchs, and there is virtually no distinction between the Russian oligopoly and the state.

Again, none of this means he asked Russia for help winning the election. I don't think Russia needed or wanted his involvement in their efforts to sow discord in the electoral system. But even if Trump's interest in these connections was money rather than influence, it's all but certain that their interest would be influence rather than money.

7. I'm with Frog's line of thinking. I also have the feeling a Trump-Un meeting is not going to happen either. The way this administration does meetings, how Trump doesn't prepare for anything, and doesn't even have an ambassador for the region, it would probably turn into a disaster.

8. Maybe, but remember North Korea wants to "cooperate" here. The whole point of their nuclear program was so they would have the leverage on the path to legitimacy. They don't want to nuke anyone, they want to end the sanctions and be recognized as a legitimate nation, without having to hold elections or improve their human rights record.

So I think it's just as likely that Trump's going to roll in and demand they give up their nukes, and Un's going to come in with a list of demands about boring shit Trump doesn't know or understand about, and they'll say "deal". And the public might even take that as some sort of victory.

What's hilarious about this is that it will almost certainly resemble the Iran deal in some way, which Trump can't stop shitting on.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Again, none of this means he asked Russia for help winning the election. I don't think Russia needed or wanted his involvement in their efforts to sow discord in the electoral system. But even if Trump's interest in these connections was money rather than influence, it's all but certain that their interest would be influence rather than money.
    I could have phrased it better - this is where I was going. I think the influence end of it is definitely what they want. I just doubt they have solid enough dirt - but who knows, maybe the pee dossier is real despite the Kush blasting it all over the chans before it got leaked to the press?

10. You don't think Russia has solid enough dirt on Trump?