Page 635 of 968 FirstFirst ... 621631633634635636637639649 ... LastLast
Results 6,341 to 6,350 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. I doubt it. Workong for Trump is enough for most people.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

2. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    It's the action, not the message.
    Look Who's Tone Policing Now (1993)

The high road is a trap. Liberals castigating each other for brief deviations from it was the entryway into the Twilight Zone "calling someone a racist is worse than actually being racist" Whatabout Turnabout we're currently trapped in. This twitter dump sums up my feelings on the subject pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    Your statement presupposes that society is a benevolent entity that naturally inches toward what's right on its own if its left to its own devices. Nah. No one crosses the goal line without fighting for the yardage. There was staunch resistance to not using child labor, there was staunch resistance to everybody using the same water fountains, there was staunch resistance to not sending an unending stream of peoples' kids into a meat grinder. Those injustices only stopped because people were willing to put their lives on the line against them. If they tried to outwait them, we'd still be waiting.

It's never "good" for people to die, but any significant changes to status quo, even status quos that were clearly indefensible in hindsight, required protracted conflict to happen. Every bit of progress we enjoy today, someone along the line had to fight tooth and nail to get.
    This isn't really supported by reality. There are plenty of examples of peaceful protests achieving things. And other examples of oppression just becoming out dated and being ended. The surfs never achieved freedom from revolt in Russia. Canada didn't fight a revolution for freedom. Nor did India. And a lot of people have studied and postulated that slavery was on the way out because the equipment that was right down the line was cheaper than slaves. And the slave owners were already starting to see the light. The wealthiest, Stephen Duncan, even purchased the land and started a freeman colony in Canada.

And the inverse of this is that most evil men think they are doing what you describe. The Nazis thought they were fighting a revolution against European liberalism, communism and international banking.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 23 Jun 2018 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    Look Who's Tone Policing Now (1993)

The high road is a trap. Liberals castigating each other for brief deviations from it was the entryway into the Twilight Zone "calling someone a racist is worse than actually being racist" Whatabout Turnabout we're currently trapped in. This twitter dump sums up my feelings on the subject pretty well.
    I think a bigger problem is that liberals never forgive anyone. And conservatives forgive everything and anything if you're the star QB.

Trump could probably come out as a trans pedo that spent years touching little kids in bathrooms overseas, and the right would forgive him.

5. India kinda did.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Introduce change slowly so that you don't get the crazy reactionaries causing harm to those who aren't yet woke enough to accept change.
    "Do this at my speed or I will become a racist."

That thinking can run backward, naked, through a field of dicks. That's bully reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Trump could probably come out as a trans pedo that spent years touching little kids in bathrooms overseas, and the right would forgive him.
    It's not even a matter of forgiving him, really. I've embedded myself in some conservative circles and even people who seem fairly reasonable eventually say something along the lines of, "At the end of the day, he really gets under the skin of the libs. That's what matters to me."

They've given up. They are below rock bottom. There's nothing to forgive - because Rachel Maddow cried on television. That's why the thing from SSJN that I quoted is important. There's isn't a pace slow enough to introduce change. The "crazy reactionaries" were already jerks, and will continue to be jerks. There's no reasoning with them. There's no listening to their side. They aren't going to come around. They're done.

I don't get into arguments with them in real life (or the occasional Twitter moron). Not because of some misguided perception about civility, but because I'm not changing anyone's mind.

7. The sarah sanders/gay marriage cake/right to refuse service dichotomy is an interesting one that I've been philosophically mulling over today. I know they aren't all exactly the same thing, but each side definitely rewards its own with back pats and jeers over social media within similar circumstances. I have no conclusion, I was just thinking about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

8. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I have no conclusion, I was just thinking about it.
    It's nonsense. I get the argument the restaurant owner was making but I still don't agree with the idea that your deeply held beliefs matter when it comes to serving customers at your business. Don't like homos? Don't like conservatives? Don't run a fucking business where you serve the public. Make your bakery appointment only and charge exorbitant prices. Turn your restaurant into members-only with ID cards and screen who you admit.

9. They aren’t even close to the same thing. Sanders choses to lie daily to the nation. Gay/black/latino etc. don’t chose to be that.

Refusing service because someone is a piece of shit isn’t the same as refusing service to someone in a discriminatory fashion.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

10. See, both Cal's and bbobb's posts were the exact things I was thinking about - and two of the arguments I see on social media the most! I'm still not sure what I think, lol. I truly see it both ways and although I feel like if it were me and my business, I wouldn't refuse to serve someone unless they were being unreasonable (making a commotion or violent/directly confrontational.) HOWEVER, if I had knowledge that my employees were actively uncomfortable with it and did not want me to serve said individual, I would take that into consideration. I really don't know what I'd do when it comes down to it! Additionally, agreeing to serving her is in direct conflict between what I said earlier about calling out bullshit behavior so maybe I'm a pussy? Idk. I'm still stuck!
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread