Page 567 of 968 FirstFirst ... 553563565566567568569571581 ... LastLast
Results 5,661 to 5,670 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. So that's where Black Rob got that sample.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There's a subtle difference—I'm not attributing the lack of investment to some bumbling CEO archetype he's describing. It's ironically what an idiot CEOs would do if they were in charge. They'd assume the last guy was a fucking idiot and make all the same mistakes without digging in to the situation. To improve something you have to ask WHY they made the decisions they made and humble yourself.

Speaking from experience when you dig in to short v. long-term investments in businesses it almost always comes down to liquidity in the business aka cash. Businesses that rely on contract services (like, say, steel factories) and have high capital investment (buttloads of 25% tariff steel) easily run in to cashflow problems. And typically they try to anticipate shortfalls in fiscal 2021, 22? That's almost always what stops OBVIOUSLY GOOD long term investments from being made. The business might risk not be around to reap the reward. Some CEOs and CFO's are more risk averse than others, like any investing. If you're working for a conservative redneck in rural Alabama I'm going to guess which kind it is.

And I didn't have to resort to saying all CEOs are nincompoop morons to understand the perspective. To properly understand I had to assume they weren't.
    But you did resort to comparing your own experience as the typical experience (which I doubt it is, tbh, or you’re working a very small to mid tier level set of examples. Which is fine, but again, assuming your example of talking to a few CEOs here and there is somehow giving you a unique window to the inner workings of every company and region is misdirected hubris.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

He's a first generation ceo of a tech firm that probably has less than 30 employees and contracts out as much work as possible. He's also admitted to hiring minorities so he can pay them less.

Totally the same thing as a third or fourth generation ceo of a multinational traditional industry that is 50+ years old and has 5,000+ employees.

#notallceos

4. I definitely see the hubris out here in Bay Area CA businesspeople - techbros, of which are a dime a dozen in the bay and have less practical experience than they like to admit, claim that their contracting ethic is the way of the future and playing super close to the belt is the way to go. That is definitely working for them right now, but it’s short sighted by most accounts. I mean, come on, we literally have comedic TV shows about the failures of new money organizations.

I mean, there is no right way to do business expect “make money,” but there are various issues with both the contracting ethic and the traditional, tenured employment route. Again, to ignore the failures of each is myopic and a little hilarious - like, speculation on failures is Bloomberg 101. Depending on region, someone’s exposure to CEOs may be vastly different than someone else’s. Being exposed to one type of company as opposed to another doesn’t give you any sort of special badge other than “I know about this type and I can speak on it” but it doesn’t give you an insight on the inner workings of every company.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

5. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    But you did resort to comparing your own experience as the typical experience (which I doubt it is, tbh, or you’re working a very small to mid tier level set of examples. Which is fine, but again, assuming your example of talking to a few CEOs here and there is somehow giving you a unique window to the inner workings of every company and region is misdirected hubris.
    Not at all. There are definitely poor CEOs out there even in business flush with cash. But a bad CEO would also spend recklessly on new equipment when they know things are headed for a lean year and most of their cash is promissory. It’s not clear these hypothetical actions are actually poor choices. Individual contributors often over estimate their resourcing at the expense of the whole (which is expected, they don’t have the whole picture most of the time). I understand what you two think you’re saying, but high-level finance for non-multinational companies doesn’t differ that much. It’s the tactics that largely differ when you scale up. Being short on cash is the main reason even a semi-competent CEO (or CFO) would resist a “no brainer” great long term investment—not some far fetched labour conspiracy.

Fe is also wrong about my business experience before I sold it. No outsourcing.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 13 Mar 2018 at 12:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

Talking about ceos being primarily concerned with cash flows and the ability to pay bills isn't actually a counter point. It's just apologetics.

7. ...and now Tillerson is gone

el oh el

summer interns have longer tenures at their companies than the people in this chucklefuck admin

I think we're gonna need those 4K TVs now
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 13 Mar 2018 at 09:36 AM.

8. He is draining his own swamp.

9. all I know is I have a lot of games to start playing if I want to get any progress on my backlog before WW3

10. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    chucklefuck
    This word. I like this word.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Talking about ceos being primarily concerned with cash flows and the ability to pay bills isn't actually a counter point. It's just apologetics.
    What are you chucklefucks even talking about?