Page 478 of 968 FirstFirst ... 464474476477478479480482492 ... LastLast
Results 4,771 to 4,780 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Let's go over "identity politics" since it's getting thrown around so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    It's called pushback, and it exists because the "liberal social consensus of the millennial group" is saturated with identity politics and imaginary pronouns. Staging a mass campus temper tantrum to silence an opposing view is about as illiberal as it gets.
    So don't read me wrong - silencing an opposing view isn't cool. I grew up poor and was made fun of for it, though, so I'm going to side with anything that upends the lives of people like my tormentors. What I went through is a drop in the bucket for queers and women and people of color but I can see it's the same people causing that harm over much worse criteria than hand-me-down pants or knockoff K-Mart sneakers. Those assholes carrying the tiki torches or playing sportspolitics or employing what-abouts are the same fucking bullies. Telling parents, complaining to the school administrators, or other passive methods like that don't work. It's entirely understandable that, if frustrated enough, people will lash out.

Now, perhaps the reactions from the "millenials" and whatnot are a bit much but the stakes are higher for those groups and I trust them to correct as they grow up, provided things change for the better for them.

I do not trust these dicks who are pushing back to correct for any reason. The act of pushing back is inherently immature - believe me, I know from experience. We're not looking to/for change. We're only looking for others to step aside.

2. "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. Quote Originally Posted by ElCapichan View Post
    Just look at the tweets before and after that one. Very obvious he did not put that up himself, or he was told he had to.
    Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude View Post
    Wait, what? Who really wrote this one? It's impossible to see Trump taking it so well.
    It’s the same semi-gracious concession he gave when Cruz took Iowa. It’s like he has to get his teeth kicked in to act decent. NPR was talking about the phone call he gave to Jones. It makes me hope. For fuck sakes, I hope they start a bromance. Jones is just as unaffiliated as Trump was before McConnell got him sucking GOP dick. He teased the Dems last summer. The GOP is weak, maybe he’ll jump ship on them.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

4. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    something something jeffrey epstein something
    This is... not the same. And you know this and are doing a make believe again, tiny coyboy. You're drunk on snapdragon dew and moonlight again.

I agree that people are pushing back, but I don't agree (and aren't even sure if you're suggesting) the people doing the pushing are actually oppressed. What Calliander said.

5. I don't understand why refusing to indulge the entitled silliness of misguided children needs to be accompanied by ignorant bigotry.
    Did America ban nuance for sounding too French?

6. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I don't understand why refusing to indulge the entitled silliness of misguided children needs to be accompanied by ignorant bigotry.
    This. As I just said above, I'm immature as fuck and push back all of the time. I'm annoyed to no end by, "I'M DEMISEXUAL SO MAYBE I'LL BE ATTRACTED TO YOU SEXUALLY IF WE FORM A DEEP BOND," and, "WELL WHAT YOU'RE SAYING IS HURTING MY FEELINGS." I'll tease if I think I can get away with it. I say "triggered" all of the time with smug sarcasm. But that's where it ends for me.

Bullies take that annoyance and use it as rationale for bludgeoning.

7. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    This is... not the same. And you know this and are doing a make believe again, tiny coyboy. You're drunk on snapdragon dew and moonlight again.

I agree that people are pushing back, but I don't agree (and aren't even sure if you're suggesting) the people doing the pushing are actually oppressed. What Calliander said.
    I mean, if you really need it to be samesies, we can always jump straight to the DNC supporting a known rapist for president. If you're sincerely arguing that only one side promotes awful, awful humans, the you're the coyboy and a silly goose.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

8. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I don't understand why refusing to indulge the entitled silliness of misguided children needs to be accompanied by ignorant bigotry.
    Did America ban nuance for sounding too French?
    I think it comes down to where we've placed the goalposts in recent years.

"There are thirty genders." = entitled silliness
    "I disagree, there are only two." = ignorant bigotry

Not a lot of room for productive conversation under these conditions.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    we can always jump straight to the DNC supporting a known rapist for president
    Hey! Keep your whatabouts to yourself! If this were an in-person discussion I'd get the cone of shame out and ready.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    Hey! Keep your whatabouts to yourself! If this were an in-person discussion I'd get the cone of shame out and ready.
    "Whataboutism" is my submission for Room 101 this year. It's used as some sort of magic bullet whenever hypocrisy or general bullshit is pointed out. And it's time for it to go.