Page 870 of 968 FirstFirst ... 856866868869870871872874884 ... LastLast
Results 8,691 to 8,700 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    But I just don't get the approach of 'I don't like this guy so fuck everything, let's sink further into this conservative hellscape admin that actively disregards the very notion of facts and whose governance style falls squarely under hostile trolling.'
    That's not really what the grievance is. The current options are Far Right and Right. If I'm Far Left, then voting for Right because it means I'm getting screwed less isn't satisfactory. How are we ever going to get Left movement if our only options are Right? The democrats should keep failing until they put up someone that represents us.

In any case, none of this matters now if you're in a blue or a red state. Trump is winning my state whether I vote for Biden or Bernie. My vote most mattered in the primary and Bernie had all but bowed out by then.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

2. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Yeah but being enthusiastic about a candidate doesn't win elections, voting for them does. At the end of the day it doesn't matter why Biden got more votes, what matters is he did get more votes.
    You're sort of losing the plot here. If people were choosing their preferred candidate, that might be broadly true, but in this case, it seems people did not do that. They voted for who they think other people will prefer, and that's the sort of thing they could be entirely wrong about. Polling data suggests a tremendous amount of Biden votes were actually this sort of calculus, not earnest preference.

Consider that the primary voter base is a small cross section of the actual democratic voter base. We hope that they act as a kind of representative sample group, but when they don't vote their preference they inherently fail to be.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 09 Apr 2020 at 11:45 AM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    That's not really what the grievance is. The current options are Far Right and Right. If I'm Far Left, then voting for Right because it means I'm getting screwed less isn't satisfactory. How are we ever going to get Left movement if our only options are Right? The democrats should keep failing until they put up someone that represents us.
    This.
    And it's not as if the conditions that gave rise to Trump occurred in a vacuum. It's the direct and obvious consequence of decades of accepting the kind of milquetoast thinking Bacon is advocating, rather than working allowing an actual left platform to gain traction and eventually win.

4. I read half a book that explained that neolibs suck, so that’s where I’m at. Clinton and Obama were bad. Courting professional academia is bad. Everything to the right of Bernie is bad- and he’s the line of neutral good.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I also didn’t, and won’t vote for someone I don’t believe in.
    It is not like our votes actually matter anyway.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    This.
    And it's not as if the conditions that gave rise to Trump occurred in a vacuum. It's the direct and obvious consequence of decades of accepting the kind of milquetoast thinking Bacon is advocating, rather than working allowing an actual left platform to gain traction and eventually win.
    It's not like we didn't just have two of the best windows we're probably gonna get for a strong independent option to swoop in and actually make a ton of headway in establishing a more liberal third party, if not to outright win against the big party candidates that their own parties are infighting about and disillusioned with.

But instead of doing that, the guy bets on one of those parties letting an outsider just waltz in and take over. Twice!

Feels kinda like Charlie Brown and the football at this point. First time okay, gosh, who could have imagined it'd get pulled away, but after that you're kinda the dingus for trying to kick it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    I put forth that it isn't fooling them, they just don't care or are unable to accept being wrong. I'm not sure what the percentages are but I would guess it's a mix of:

- librul tears
    - genuine apathy
    - fragile egos
    - ????
    - profit

(Though I wouldn't rule out there being plenty of people who are fooled.)
    Sports. Fandom.

Pick your favorite thing. What if you found out that the people that made it were violent rapists? Would you still enjoy it? Would you give their new stuff money?

I still listen to MJ. And I'll still watch ren and stimpy if it's on.

But on the other hand, I dont defend them and I dont want them to hold office.

I think a lot of people forget that. Maybe politics is more important than sports and you shouldn't defend your elected powers like you defend the star QB that got caught dog fighting or hitting his wife.

8. Michael Vick should remain a pariah forever. Fuck that evil piece of shit.

and yet you have fans that say dumb shit like "hey its just dogs. A dog isn't a person"

Someone on their fav team could rape their mom and they would say "well, I'm sure they had good reason"

Its madness, and its now in our government.

10. Whenever you bring up the mountain of evidence that Kobe raped a woman, most of his fans are usually like, "yo dawg, he just did one wrong thing and he's done made up for it." And those are just the ones who actually acknowledge that he may have actually done something wrong.

It really amazes me how Earth-shatteringly important sports are to so many people that they're willing to overlook even the most horrific things as long as their hero can throw a ball into a net.

Or own the libs.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 14 Apr 2020 at 05:35 PM.