Page 486 of 968 FirstFirst ... 472482484485486487488490500 ... LastLast
Results 4,851 to 4,860 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    You just summed up the entirety of the anti-net neutrality argument in one sentence.
    Huh?
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

2. I can get with non-binary, but I still haven’t gotten to accepting personalized pronouns. Pronouns aren’t names, you don’t just pick a pronoun. If I’m calling you something special, I’m going to use your name. If we’re going to get upset over gendered language, I’d rather strip gender out than complicate it.

Does anyone get upset about using they as a singular pronoun? I can’t remember a time when that wasn’t just normal vernacular for me.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

3. I’ve spent years trying to stop saying “Someone left their phone here” and now you assholes wanna flip the script on me.

4. I thought the anti-net neutrality argument is that the gov't is keeping ISPs from coming up with innovative new ways of gouging consumers and picking winners in emerging technology niches.

What’s she talking about?

7. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    But it hasn't though, as pointed out by multiple people who you continue to ignore, the law is not forcing these things.
    Patently untrue characterization. Simply stating something over and over isn't disputing the fact that I pointed directly to the entire system and government body whose job it is to enforce these types of bills. So no, you're wrong. In the US I can completely understand how someone would see that website and think how tyrannical it is, and reject the ideals that caused it (however well intentioned). 'Murica for better (or for worse) grew off of individual rights. Why people want to give that away without asking serious questions is idiotic.

Ya'll talking out your asses. I understand the motivation -- no one wants to be a dick and the issue seems small enough you can just be chill and go with it. But that's not the only thing that's important here.

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I think Drew is just making the slippery slope argument, which is a valid concern, but not representative of the current reality.
    I don't really understand the hate that people heap on Jordan Peterson. His concerns may be disproportionate to the situation, but there's cautionary value to them if you consider how out to lunch Canadian law gets about these things.
    Yes. But it's more than just a "slippery slope" thing because it's so fundamental to the open liberty American's enjoy, which I find endearing to the culture. I like it when people think about it. This is the flag burning issue from a different perspective and I find it baffling how one side can support one and then switch when the perspective doesn't favour them. To me that makes it all the more clear why these types of enforcements are dangerous.

Peterson is the most voluble philosopher I've ever met. His factor analysis on how the very language we use reveals our social nature and traits is interesting (and has been the only repeatable method on predicting personality since IQ). Though it was hardly his own ideas (dude who caught Ted Kacynzski legitimized it first). I'm convinced anyone who calls him an idiot is doing so solely based on their ideology (ironic, since that's his fear) and not any kind of objective argument.

Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    Peterson has a lot of really interesting class lectures on his youtube.
    His personality ones are good. His bible ones are quite good too. I also attended two lecture by Nicholas Matte who teaches gender studies (I work near University of Toronto so pop-over during the day if I need to get away from work). His studies are largely based on psychological self assessment and surveys which to me invalidates a lot of the results. He also rambles on about communism needing another try.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 15 Dec 2017 at 11:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

8. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Granted, this is from those right-wing zealots at The Washington Post, but Drew's not wrong.
    I can't read that but I'm guessing it says if you're harassing someone by misgendering them, then yeah. Nobody ever disagreed with that.

If you're adamantly refusing to call people what they'd like to be called, then that's on you. If you flub, nobody will be mad.

9. No, you were stating that it's not enforced so it shouldn't be an issue. "The law is not forcing these things" bbobb just said. But that's not true, and the law is. And that's the problem. The government shouldn't let someone discriminate based on gender or gender-identity the same way that they shouldn't race. It removes opportunity solely based on identity or point-of-origin. That's what most of these laws and systems were made for. Calling someone a pronoun isn't even intended to a judgment at all.

Language is a social issue that ebs and flows. We'll figure it out when the language meets the need. Maybe that's "they". "They have gone to the store" is already a thing we say to denote people. I don't know.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 15 Dec 2017 at 11:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

Josh, Marco Rubio agreed to vote for the tax bill only if the child tax credit was increased. Sad, lonely Coulter didn't like that since she's too much if a cunt for anyone to want to procreate with her.